PDA

View Full Version : Details From The Sketch Pad #1 Blind Shelf Support

Mark Singer
01-29-2004, 10:36 AM
When supporting shelves between gyp board covered walls. If the shelves are thick you can hide the leger by dadoing the sides (back optional) and attach a blind leger . The shelf slides on and the dado stops before the front fascia piece. Simple and neat!

Chris Padilla
01-29-2004, 10:52 AM
When supporting shelves between gyp board covered walls. If the shelves are thick you can hide the leger by dadoing the sides (back optional) and attach a blind leger . The shelf slides on and the dado stops before the front fascia piece. Simple and neat!
Mark,

I did this on a shelf in an alcove. (damn, I gotta take some pics of this!!!!...sound like a broken record here). I laminated 3 sheets of 3/4" ply and edge-banded the curved side (only 1 side visible out of 3) in maple. It holds a very heavy TV. As additional support, I cut pocket holes in the bottom of the shelf to line up with the studs in the wall and used 3" screws. Eventually, a cabinet will go under the shelf so I am not worried about seeing the pocket holes.

It turned out nice as it appears to float in the alcove.

Edit: Mark, should these posts of yours go in the Design Forum?

Ed Falis
01-29-2004, 5:17 PM
Neat trick. Took me a minute to understand what you meant. Will certainly keep it in m ind.

Thanks!

- Ed