PDA

View Full Version : Decent, relatively inexpensive 1/2" hammer drill?

Matt Meiser
09-03-2007, 6:13 PM
My Crapsman 1/2" drill smoked a little while mixing some thinset yesterday, so I'm guessing its not long for the world. I've been thinking about a hammer drill for a while now, so I'd like to get one that can do both. Any recommendations? Looks like the usual suspects make them from 5.5 to 8.5A--no idea what is "good enough" for occasional use.

Most of my hammer drill usage would be drilling for tapcons to hang stuff from the basement walls.

skip coyne
09-03-2007, 6:23 PM
I would buy harbor freight if it where me .

especially for occasional light duty

Mark Singer
09-03-2007, 6:31 PM
Bosch!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00004SURC/sr=8-1/qid=1188858817/ref=dp_image_z_0/105-6477414-6634056?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi&qid=1188858817&sr=8-1

it is very good and at $129 the price of a decent saw blade

Dan Stuewe
09-03-2007, 6:33 PM
I bought a well used (ie somewhat beatup) Milwaukee on ebay for a bit more than a Harbor Frieght one. I've used it less as a hammer drill and more for pocket holes.

IAFF Brian
09-03-2007, 6:40 PM
Like mentioned above I went with a harbor freight hammer drill on sale for 19.99. Works well for the few times I use it, I spent the balance on a good regular drill, got more bang for my buck and less space on the tools shelf!

Ray Knight
09-03-2007, 7:03 PM
some harbor freight stuff is junk, some is great and cheap. A year ago we burned out an old 1/2 drive hammer drill of credible american company origin, we were drilling a 4-6" garage floor for an automotive life, everybody was ready to keep working. We bought a hammer drill, on sale for about $79, list about $130. It wammed (is that a word) thru like butter. our thought was it was worth it to get the job done while we had a crew of volunteers on hand. That hammer drill still works flawlessly. Has the standard splined fit drills. No question that's the deal. Now if I were in the construction business, would it hold up in daily use?? don't know. Ray Knight

Michael Schwartz
09-03-2007, 7:06 PM
Get a older used bosch or something off of Cragislist or at a Pawn Shop or Flea Market. They are pretty much indestructible.

Or, go to the borg and get a Ryobi. I find their to be pretty decent.

Wes Bischel
09-03-2007, 7:20 PM
I went with a HF unit as well a few years ago. It gets used 6-7 times a year at most. Does the job. No finesse, but no complaints.

Wes

Rob Bodenschatz
09-03-2007, 7:50 PM
I've had the Bosch Mark is pointing to for about a year. Love it. Love it. Love it.

BTW, I also burned out my last drill mixing thinset. Used the Bosch last week mixing some self-leveling concrete. Smooth sailing. Also used it to drill some holes in my concrete foundation. The Bosch made easy work of it.

Matt Meiser
09-08-2007, 9:13 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked and my old 1/2" drill was only 3.5A and this is the first time it wasn't powerfull enought that I can remember so I decided to give the Ryobi a try. The Bosch was really tempting, but the Ryobi was 1/2 the price at 59.99 (plus they took a 15% off coupon I happened to get from Harbor Freight the same day.) I brought it home and tried it out and I think it will work fine for my needs. That is the first time I've used a hammer drill with a masonry bit and all I can say is why didn't I buy one sooner? My dad also reminded me that he has an old beast of a 1/2" drill should I need one with gobs of power in the future. And if I ever need to drill a large hole through concrete I'll rent a rotary hammer with the appropriate large bits.

Wes Bischel
09-09-2007, 12:06 PM
all I can say is why didn't I buy one sooner?
That was my thought too the first time I used mine!:D

Wes

Steve Clardy
09-09-2007, 8:20 PM
I got a hitachi for around $70.00 a year ago at Lowes.
I was "outa town on a staricase job" and had to get one, as the main floor was concrete where the handrail shoe went.

Was cheaper to get one, than to drive 2 hours home and get one.

It works for its intended purpose