PDA

View Full Version : What would be a fair price for this Unisaw?

Grant Vanbokklen
09-03-2007, 4:30 PM
Just curious what the more experienced Unisaw users might have to say about a price for this saw if the description is accurate.

item number 130148915615

Jamie Buxton
09-03-2007, 4:37 PM
The seller's claim of $3000 value for a new saw is wrong. Amazon is currently offering that saw, brand new, for $1400.

Grant Vanbokklen
09-03-2007, 5:04 PM
Like some things, are there vintage years and model numbers for quality in Unisaws?

Neville Stewart
09-03-2007, 5:46 PM
If he gave 3k for that he got ripped off.I dont think a Unisaw EVER cost 3K. I have the exact same saw and gave 1500 - probably the last few of the American ones. I see them around Austin (& not rusted on top mind) for 900 - 1000

Bruce Page
09-03-2007, 6:05 PM
I wouldn't go higher than his starting bid.

Grant Vanbokklen
09-03-2007, 6:07 PM
Yeah I guess if he's not being truthful about his cost that he might be fudging on the history also. But from what your saying sounds like that might be a top price right there.

I have the exact same saw and gave 1500

Is this a new saw price of this era you paid?

And how big of a problem is the rusted top?

Neville Stewart
09-03-2007, 6:18 PM
I bought mine about 8 years ago. It was 1465 & came with 52" Unifence & side table, mobile was about 85 extra. Its a wonderful saw but he still has no bids on it for 1K, dont pay too much, take your time. One will find you :-)

Brad Townsend
09-03-2007, 6:24 PM
I have essentially the same saw, except mine is left tilt with a Bies fence. I bought it new two years ago for $1360. From the pics, I would maybe pay a grand if it were in pristine condition. From what I see, I wouldn't go over $750. Just my opinion.

scott spencer
09-03-2007, 6:45 PM
Note that there's no motor cover on that one, plus the top looks a tad rough. $1k would be about just above the top end of the "fair" price IMHO, depending on the local market, but keep in mind that $1k buys a Griz 1023 new. Also note that there are no bids yet...there definitely would be if this was a great deal.

Robert Conner
09-03-2007, 7:03 PM
I just sold the same model saw in Great condition with a new Biesemeyer 36-B30. No mobile base, one CI Extension. CL sold in 1 day for that price. Very Good Saw, I now have a New Left Tilt Uni.
Mine did have the Motor Cover.
Robert

Bruce Page
09-03-2007, 7:09 PM
A curiosity question, what is the big rectangular box on the cabinet back? Owner installed? :confused:
My 8 year old Unisaw doesn’t have it.

Grant Vanbokklen
09-03-2007, 9:24 PM
Thanks to all. I'm learning here.

John Thompson
09-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Just curious what the more experienced Unisaw users might have to say about a price for this saw if the description is accurate.

item number 130148915615

Evening Grant...

I didn't see the saw as the link was moved, but I will add my $.02 being a Uni-saw owner. Going price around Atlant is around $850 to $1000 for a hardly used saw. The older Delta Rockwells go used for $650-$850.

As already noted.. you can buy the saw new for around $1500. They would normally sell re-conditioned for around $1199-$1299 depend on time of year and demand depending on economic conditions that exist at the moment.

I paid $999 for my factory re-conditioned from Redmond and Son Machinery here in Atlanta. It was their last in stock and I went their with another saw in mind that was in stock that Saturday morning when I called. When I got there a few hours latter it had just sold.

So.. as I was paying full price for a 8" jointer the same day and I had done some work for Redmond at the last Atlanta Woodworking Show.. I cut a deal and offered $999 with a 30 Biesemeyer fence. The saw had a newly ground cast iron talbe that was probably flatter than the original. It had a new motor and new trunnions. I found one small scratch and that is not important to me.

So... I would think that a used Uni-saw X5 at $800-$900 is where I would concentrate. Anything above that and I would consider the excellent Grizzly 1023 new and at full retail. Just my $.02 that is worth about $.01 on the current market and market demand always plays a part in pricing from what I've encountered.

Regards and be patient.. if you don't find a deal today tomorrrow is always just one sunrise away! :)

Sarge..

Rod Peterson
09-04-2007, 12:15 AM

item number 130148915615

I believe the seller is blowing smoke saying that's a dual voltage motor. I don't think any Unisaw motor since perhaps the '70s, maybe earlier, has been dual voltage. At 3 HP that would be a 30 A circuit at 120V.

I, too, wonder about that mythical price he's quoting. I don't know if anyone in history ever paid more than $2000 for a (3 HP) Unisaw, even with accessories. If they did, they are ripe for a trimming on the selling side, too.

How in the world does someone pay extra for the "shelf kit" and then lose the shelf?

Two years ago I bought a left tilt, 3HP Unisaw, with 52" Biesemeyer, one CI extension, Delta mobile base, and free shipping for $1500. Came with a surprisingly good blade, too. That's your benchmark.

Robert Conner
09-04-2007, 7:24 AM
Bruce, The rectangular box is the LVC Starter box. Magnetic Starter.
The one I sold had that as well. My new one does not. In case the power is interrupted while the saw is on and the power is restored the saw must be turned on again. This is very useful in a more than one person shop or school.
Robert