PDA

View Full Version : New design on 24" Leigh jig? Is it worth it?

Alex Elias
09-03-2007, 2:47 PM
I've being craving a Leigh jig for a long time but I always find a different tool that I can use more frequently than a dovetail jig. I know I want one of these despite the scater use; seems to be the best one out there, money aside.
Recently I noticed they came out with a more economical version of it and was wondering. What is the catch? Are both models going to be sold side by side? Are the new ones flimsy and of lower quality?
Thanks for your thoughs
Alex

Mike Spanbauer
09-03-2007, 3:40 PM
Here is the chart that leigh provides to answer just such a question:
http://www.leighjigs.com/download/Comparison%20Chart-1.pdf

I've not looked too closely at the supers as I own a D4 (and love it) but I believe one of the key differences is the pin size control. You can make pins any size you desire w/ the D4 lines and they are fixed w/ the new supers.

The details are minor, but it depends on what you're buying it for.

hopefully someone who has done a full side by side comparison can add more.

mike

Gary Keedwell
09-03-2007, 3:45 PM
I don't have anything in front of me to read from but if memory serves me well, I think they used less expensive materials. The original is solid aluminum. With the price of all metals skyrocketing, it is a way to actually lower prices rather then increasing them. I imagine the original jig will have to go up in price or their profits will suffer.:rolleyes:
Gary K.