PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 HP Powermatic TS?

Samuel Mill
09-03-2007, 12:08 PM
I just found an ad for what is described as a 5 year-old, 1.5 HP, 115/220V, 10" Powermatic table saw in good condition near me for an asking price of $200. Saw apparently has whatever fence came as standard, and the pic shows it as a contractor model. I was not aware that PM had ever marketed a TS in this class. Is this a "real" Powermatic, or did they play the game of importing a generic Taiwan saw and slapping their label on it a few years ago? Any knowledge about the performance of this particular model?

-Sam

Mike Spanbauer
09-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Yes, Powermatic has a contractor saw in this class. It's fairly well regarded as far as contractor saws go and won the best of class from one of the magazines a number of years back.

I think they've only had it for around 10 years though, as they added it to their lineup late.

As far as contractor saws go, they are pretty good. And for $200 that would be a gloat if complete and in good condition.

mike

Jason Beam
09-03-2007, 1:05 PM
That's either the 64 or 64A - it's probably the best contractor saw i've seen.

I have the 64A and can certainly say it's well worth double what they're asking if it's in good shape with the Accufence. It's one heck of a saw. I would caution about the 64A, though, the aftermarket Biesmeyer splitter won't work with it. They just don't make one for that saw.

It's usually around 700 or so brand new, with a 30" fence and extension table. They also make one with steel stamped wings and no table for less money. There are also a couple other varieties.

Check out http://www.powermatic.com/ for owners manuals and such.

The 64A is such a good saw, in my eyes, that I think the only logical upgrade would be to a super cabinet saw or european slider. I'd consider it top of the contractor saw food chain.

scott spencer
09-03-2007, 4:06 PM
If it's really only 5 yrs old (people sometimes have fuzzy memories!), it should be a gold PM64a, which is a classic contractor saw, is still currently available, and is made very much like the GI 50-185, and current Griz contractor saws. Most of them came with a Biese clone fence, but there was a stepped down version with steel wings and a Microglide fence (PM64s). Either way, if it's in good shape $200 is a "buy" price IMHO.

Dwayne Watt
09-03-2007, 4:30 PM
I have a Powermatic 64a saw which is roughly 6 years old now. The only thing wrong with it out of the box was the sawblade which was absolute junk. It needed to be aligned a couple of times before everything was right. This saw is a bit difficult to access and tighten the capscrews which hold the saw arbor relative to the top.
Beyond that the only work it needs occasionally is wax on the tabletop and a bit of lubrication now and then. This saw does not need link-belts installed or pulleys replaced or other "upgrades" occasionally touted. If you can get this for $200 (and it works), this is an absolute bargain. Even if the motor is toast, this would still be a reasonable price assuming the fence is present and functional.

Chuck Lenz
09-03-2007, 4:50 PM
This saw does not need link-belts installed or pulleys replaced or other "upgrades" occasionally touted.
Why would you not want to put a link belt on it ?

frank shic
09-03-2007, 5:14 PM
the link belt creates more noise than the OEM belt.

Chuck Lenz
09-03-2007, 7:33 PM
the link belt creates more noise than the OEM belt.
But doesn't a link belt run smoother than a stock V-belt ? It does on my Delta Contractors tablesaw.

scott spencer
09-03-2007, 7:57 PM
But doesn't a link belt run smoother than a stock V-belt ? It does on my Delta Contractors tablesaw.

It really depends on the individual v-belt. There are different quality levels...some of them are excellent, and even some of the cheaper ones are fine as received. The link belts will run smoother than a thumping v-belt that has a set or a "zig" in it, but a higher quality v-belt or even a cheapy that it running properly is aerodynamically quieter. The links catch more air, and make more wind noise, which is a different characteristic than vibration or thumping noise.

The cutting task is louder than the belts and tends to make the wind noise level kind of a moot point though...

Kent Fitzgerald
09-03-2007, 9:06 PM
Is this a "real" Powermatic, or did they play the game of importing a generic Taiwan saw and slapping their label on it a few years ago?
I'm not sure what your definition of "real Powermatic" is, but the PM 64A contractor's saw and the PM 64 that preceeded it are both Taiwan imports.

Earl Reid
09-03-2007, 9:22 PM
I got my PM 64 A in 1989, I think that it was new on the market then.
It has a Vaga fence and had cast iron wings, It cost about $700. With the link belt it passed the nickle and the dime test:D
Earl

Greg Narozniak
09-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Having owned a 64a and sold it to a good friend who still uses it to this day I liked it very much. The 64 and 64a were very good but I believe that the 63 was not so well regarded.

I added a link belt (It's 3/8" and Grizzly carries them) and a PALS system (Go directly to the company they will sell you the correct one) and mine passed the nickel test with no worries.

For that price it's a steal. Grab it, burn rubber and start making sawdust!

Don Stanley
09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
This will give you an idea of what a 4-5 year old PowerMatic 64A looks like.http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/845/PowerMatic_64A.JPG

It's a nice saw! Especially if you can get it for $200. As someone else already stated, reviews on the model 63 were not very good.

Here's a link to my photo album illustrating how I added a dust collection box.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=845

And here's a link for some more upgrades: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=814

I am currently in the process of building a folding out-feed table - this will be a huge improvement.

-Don