PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
09-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Good Morning
3 Sep 2007

Happy Labor Day everyone!!!!

I am now officially "off-call"!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!! :D

You already know what I did over the weekend and I am a free man today from the bonds of the day job and the LOML has plans for me to get some things done around the house.

I'm off work until Thursday of this week and I was to say a public Thanks to Mr. Ed Breen for sending me some vinyl so I could make up my own custom vacuum bag so I can get this blasted oval kitchen table project over and done with. IMHO, woodworkers are some of the best people on this planet!!!!!

Well, you already know what I did this weekend.....

So what did YOU do this weekend????

Best of weeks and Happy Labor Day to each of you!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Well Mr. Peacock.......You go ahead and WoooHoooo....I'm on call until tomorrow!:D

Finishing my finger bowl. Did some "work" work. Today...mow and trim the yard and spray for weeds.

Don Bullock
09-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm sorry that you had to work Dennis. Since I have today off my weekend isn't over.

Here in Southern California we are having our first sweltering heat wave. The temperatures are well above 100. Working in the garage (shop) isn't the best place to be. I've been out there working anyway. The LOML (also BWMBO) gave me the "green light" to plan the garage set up without her car parked in it. This is a monumental decision on her part and it's greatly appreciated. I think the recent purchase of an 8" jointer and a planer helped her to decide. The only catcher, you knew there had to be one, was that I'd set up a storage area for the dog food so that it was handy. The dog food is now right next to the door into the house and is very handy for her to get to. The machines are mostly arranged along with our old dining room table that I plan to use as a woork bench. It's a trestle style table made of solid 6/4 ash. So, you all know what I've been doing in the 100 degree heat out in my garage. Today I have some work on a woodworking project that I plan to do out there as well as some additional rearranging to do. I hope the rest of you are staying cool.

Tony De Masi
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Well I'm happy that some people get to go "Off Duty" as I am always on call for my job.

Anyway, did some of the obligatory things around the house. Mowed and trimmed the yard, cleaned out MY half of the garage, and ran some errands. Also went to Sears and got a rolling tool cabinet for the lathe tools and accessories. The manager gave me the floor model for 20% off:D .

Also pickep up a new gas grill for the deck as the old one was litteraly on it's last leg.

Back to the grind tomorrow and can't wait for the next holiday weekend.

Tony

Matt Meiser
09-03-2007, 1:03 PM
Tile, tile, chicken, tile, tile.

Friday night I tiled around our shower, Saturday I tiled the floor, Sunday we went to Frankenmuth, MI for some of their famous chicken (and hit the Birch Run outlet mall where we found some bath accessories we were going to order from Pottery Barn at their outlet store for 1/2 the price.) Sunday evening we grouted around the shower, and we just finished grouting the floor. In a day or so I'll be starting to install cabinets!!!!

Jim Becker
09-03-2007, 1:08 PM
It's still the weekend through next Sunday for me...so far, it's been a lazy one, recovering from our vacation with such good things as doing 6 loads of laundry (including sheets and towels), putting in another 20 amp circuit for the contractor to use so they don't have to blow breakers so often, getting pictures into the addition BLOG (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm) for last weeks progress, etc. And today, I'm in the shop, working on my vanities' doors.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2007, 1:29 PM
Hey Don..........A lot of folks have a real mistaken idea of the temperatures we suffer here in central Idaho. My wife got home from spending 5 weeks with her mother in Illinois. She took the newspapers and wrote all the temperatures down in a calendar she uses as a daily diary. 25 days of over 90 degree temps and 11 days over 100 and a couple over 110...............It gets warm up north too! Of course, if you went to the mountains you might suffer 40s on the same days!:rolleyes:

Fred Voorhees
09-03-2007, 5:16 PM
Busy weekend around here. Friday night, we finished up catching a "mess-o-sunnies" for another sunfish fry Sunday night while watching the NEXTEL event from California. Saturday found me tending to a number of things before heading out for the final night of points for the modified division at my local dirt track - the New Egypt Speedway. Sunday saw me doing a little mowing and other things before the guys showed up and we had a massive deep fried feast of french fries, onion rings and sunfish while enjoying each others company and taking in the race.

Monday it was an early rise at 4:15AM to hit the Delaware River in Phillipsburg,NJ for what turned out to be a seven and a half hour float down to Reigelsville,NJ. My brother and our cousins husband did this float on Saturday morning and reported a whopping 87 small mouth bass being caught. My buddy Larry and I took our turn at floating the same stretch Monday morning and I am happy to report that we nailed a total of 105 bass. That is a new record for a float and a personal record of over fifty fish for each of us! Awesome weekend of fishing all around. Though there were no "pigs' to speak of in the bass size, the picture below represents what the largest were in size. Fifty of them was just fine with us.

glenn bradley
09-03-2007, 6:07 PM
Drawer parts done for a unit going under the bench. Glue ups tonight.

mark page
09-03-2007, 6:32 PM
Wished I was fishin' like Fred!!! Did have to work next weekend, but those plans changed, and there is a local close by craft fair & hootnany going on next weekend. Now am working 20 hr days trying to get ready for it. I know now why they call it Labor Day!!!! And depending on how well it goes this weekend, it may put me behind for the local October fest here in Smithville. Ran out of USL and will be waiting on the "brown" tomorrow. My joys of woodworking are starting to be the main day job:(

Nancy Laird
09-03-2007, 7:21 PM
Got home from our road trip about 45 minutes ago - did a mad dash from West Tennessee to Albuquerque (about 1400 miles all told) in about 25 road hours. Had a good visit with the parents and sister and attended a high-school reunion party and saw lots of people I haven't seen in YEARS!!:)

We ended up having to offload all of the maple we bought in Tennessee off the pick-up--we were definitely overloaded and blew out a brand-new pair of load-leveler air shocks before we got out of town.:( :( Fortunately, our son is at home in Oxford, Miss., and had a nearly empty trailer on his 18-wheeler, so he met us just south of Memphis, the maple is now on his truck, and he'll be here Wednesday night or Thursday with it :) --on his way to California. Otherwise we would have had to rent a trailer to put the stuff in!!:(

I want to say thank you again to Ed Breen, Dennis Peacock, Joe Meazle, Mark Cothren, and Keith Burns for the Creeker visits we were able to make while on the trip.:D It'll be next year sometime before we (I) can make the trip again, but I have fond memories and some wood to turn!!:D :D

Nancy (109 days)

Jim O'Dell
09-03-2007, 8:19 PM
Just finished my weekend about 15 minutes ago. Started last Tues with 3 days off in the middle of the week to fix the leaky roof in the shop. Was supposed to rain the last 2 days so I could check my work before buttoning up the ceiling inside, but just a few sprinkles, so I'll wait on the interior for a little while.
Worked Friday, then Sat am, cleaned up all the roofing debris from in front of the shop, secured the top pieces of the multistation benches, routed the duct work through the top of the left bench. Sunday morning I built a quick and dirty box for a 10" subwoofer for the shop stereo system. Need some coils to filter out the high frequencies before I hook it up for good. After lunch, I started desigining and building the router table. I'm using some old L shaped legs I built years ago to be able to stack 2 dog crates in the spot for one. Don't need it with the larger bedroom of the new house. Today was figuring out how to install the Herc-U-Lift for the router table. Went through several options before I found one that will actually work. I need 4 carriage bolts to finish it's installation, and had to rob some parts out of my last boxed lift to make it work, but should be fine for what I need the next lift for. Now I need to get the sheet of MDF and build the top and cut in for the PRL. Oh, and to design and build the interior of the table once I know where the lift will go. I'm going to have to clean out my pile of wood scraps so I can move this beast around! Jim.

JayStPeter
09-03-2007, 8:21 PM
I actually walked into the shop for reasons other than to pick up or drop off a tool. The woodworking season is coming, so I started cleaning up the mess I've made in the off season. My car project had a bunch of junk laying around as I used my assembly table to work on some stuff. The spiders had also gone crazy in there, so I took a broom to every corner, doorway, window, nook & cranny to clean up all the webs. Uncovering my workbench base project got me fired up to get to work.

Al Willits
09-03-2007, 9:49 PM
Never got fishing or golfing, but one of the local furniture stores is leaving Minn and they (Wickes) had a 80% off sale, three trips later... we now have three new rugs and a couch and lamp for the basement HT room, also we dragged the old couch out and one of the older rugs ended up as a shop rug, repaired a small privacy fence that the tree took down, installed a new deck in the truck and finally installed the tonnau cover on same truck I had sitting in the shed since last spring, replaced the door closer on the back door, snuck a few cuts in on the mobile cabinet for the Rigid belt sander, stacked the last (for now) of the wood from the tree that got blew over, and ....I'm on a Ibuprofen IV right now :D

Al.....who's actually looking forward to going to work tomm....and recover from the weekend.

Joe Mioux
09-03-2007, 10:01 PM
There was a holiday? Worked straight through it, albeit not full 8 hour days. Only 8hrs 6hrs 6hrs

Actually, I got some yard work accomplished. Pulled the tools out but didn't power up a single one.

Daughter Jennifer and her mom left for STL this evening, Jennifer will probably get pins put in her middle right finger tomorrow morning at 8 am. It's nice have in-laws living there. They are spedning the night there so Anna can avoid the I 64 construction work that is going on through stl.

Tom Cowie
09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Hello Everyone,

Had a great weekend (three day one at that). Got a Vanity finished for the LOML to paint and Distress:( . Also finished a offering box for a Fellowship in Bethesda MD. that is very dear to our family.

71170 71171

71172 71173

Tom

Tyler Howell
09-04-2007, 8:59 AM
I was beat. Chilled all day Sat.
Stayed off the roads after traveling for work all last week.
Spent sometime with family Sun with food, movie and conversation.
Cleaned up in the garage, truck and yard.
Installed 2 new windows yesterday, Visited the I35 bridge diaster site and then off to the lake for a concert with my sister. Played in the garden to finish the day.

Matt Vallad
09-04-2007, 11:21 AM
I spent three days recovering logs from some tornadoes that hit Fenton, MI about 20 miles away. Cherry, box elder, and some maple.

I slabbed a huge cherry trunk/butt. I started to quarter a 32" by 5.5 foot box elder but I decided to pull it out whole, well three quarters anyway. I'm getting another one about the same size tonight. I also have a lead on a black walnut trunk that's about 40" by 5 or 6 foot. I'll be tickled to death if I get that one. It'll take some creative saw work as my saw is only 40cc with a 18"bar.

Overall, I worked my butt off. But the free wood makes the aches and pains worthwhile.

With so much free wood on the ground around here, I'll have a hard time milling and stacking the stuff I already have... Poor me...:D

Al Willits
09-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Matt, notch the side your not gonna keep, if the notch is big enough the chain saw will get in closer to the center.
Not sure if that made sense or not, but instead of a single cut, you make a vee ?????

Al

Robert Mayer
09-04-2007, 11:53 AM
No woodworking this weekend, but I did get a lot of bricks put down. I put down about 300, with about 700 to go. Prepping the dirt is a huge PITA.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-2/1246550/DSCN1905.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-2/1246550/DSCN1906.JPG

Jerome Hanby
09-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I made runs to Nashville and near Atlanta (I live in Birmingham, AL) to pickup A Shopsmith Mark V, Jointer, and band saw. Added to my existing table saw, planer, and routers I think I have all the equipment I need to try some more involved projects. Now if I could just get in my garage...

I also fixed the headlight combination switch on my truck. So if you see an old beat up Mazda truck in the middle of the day with the high beams shining and the left turn signal always on, give me a wave :D.

Matt Vallad
09-04-2007, 2:20 PM
Matt, notch the side your not gonna keep, if the notch is big enough the chain saw will get in closer to the center.
Not sure if that made sense or not, but instead of a single cut, you make a vee ?????

Al

Al, I think I know what you're talking about. I just got the go ahead. I'll have to remeasure but this thing is huge. I've gotta get a large box elder from an old couples yard tonight. I hope I can get a couple slabs off her tonight. I'll have more black walnut that I'll know what to do with (well, not really).

I was thinking of cutting like on the attached mspaint image. Red is the very first leveling cuts and would be waste. Left would be the first cuts. Right one would be the next series of cuts. And I'd go from there. I have a timber making attachment BTW.

Bill Wyko
09-04-2007, 3:07 PM
WEEELLLL I almost finished the jewelry box until I broke the wooden hinge. I should be done in the next day or 2. :cool: I did have some great BBQ though.:D

Rick Levine
09-04-2007, 3:22 PM
Finally got to start and almost finish my new sliding barn door for my shop and, boy is it going to be heavy! The dimensions are 80" wide and 76" tall. Made from Ponderosa pine rails and stiles, which started out as a 16' x 13 1/2" x 8/4 plank, and HD tonge and groove SPF 2x planed down to 1 1/4" for the field. I plan on finishing the construction, staining (actually Penofin) and hanging it next weekend.

Rick Levine
09-13-2007, 11:29 PM
I finally finished the sliding barn door for my shop. I can't tell you how difficult it was to do the glue-up as well as hanging it. I did have a friend help me with both. It was too unwieldy for one person to handle.