PDA

View Full Version : How Much To Power Your PlayPen??....

Mike Langford
09-02-2007, 10:28 PM
....Sometimes whenever I'm irritating my wife or she wants to watch a "chick flick" (without my comments! :rolleyes: ) undisturbed, she'll say "Why don't you go back out to your "playpen" (shop) and leave me alone"........:D

I'm in my shop a good bit, and when I'm at home my shop is usually "open" even though I may be in the house eating, on-line (SMC of course), watching TV,or even taking a nap ;) etc.
While it's open, the lights(min of six 8' florescent) and radio are always on even if I'm not out there. When I'm out there I'm using the table saw - air compressors - sanders - radio - fans (many a days this month the A/C) - routers - just a lot of power!!!
71076 71077 71078
When I built my shop I installed a 200 amp service panel and I have separate power run to the shop.....My own power bill, which usually runs $30 a month or less......LESS THAN A DOLLAR A DAY! :eek:

Am I lucky?......So,I'm curious.....What do youse guys pay for power to play in your "Playpens" each month?

btw - I haven't got my bill for August yet.....my shop's little window unit (5000 btu) ran an awful lot last month!!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-02-2007, 10:32 PM
I've got 200 amp service in my shop but ...it's not finished and the only tools in there are my SCM, my lathe and the construction lights I use for turning and finishing. The wife pays the bills so I don't know what it costs for electrical.

David G Baker
09-02-2007, 10:37 PM
I pay around $35 a month for natural gas in the Winter to heat my pole barn/shop As far as the electric, the power usage is so mixed with the house usage that I don't know of a way I could separate it with out adding a separate meter. If I am not in the shop I pull the plug, not to conserve power but because I sometimes forget and leave things on for a few days without realizing it.
So far this summer my electric bill has been running in the $70 a month range due to the warmer than usual weather or my old age sensitivity to the heat. I have also been doing quite a bit of arc welding.

Per Swenson
09-03-2007, 8:49 PM
We have to use anchor chain on our meter cause one of these days

its gonna spin off the house and land in the next county.

:D

Per