PDA

View Full Version : Campbell Hausfield Customer Service - Not so good....

Dennis Peacock
01-29-2004, 1:44 AM
Just a heads up on any CH compressor you buy and their customer service.

I have been TRYING to get in contact with CH for warranty repair on my new compressor to get the leak fixed. It has been almost a week since I first contacted them. I have contacted them again via email at their customer support site. I still haven't heard back from them.

I did call a Warranty Service Center and I found out that I will have to "load this thing back on the trailer and take it to them." I even offered to pay them $50 to come to my house (only 7 miles from their location for now as they are moving a long way from here in a month). Still no luck in getting them to come out.

The service guy told me that most every CH compressor has the same exact problem.....the pressure switch leaks and is the same on almost every single compressor they make. He warned me about buying any oilless compressor that CH makes....he said that they go bad really early and the compressor I bought was "better" but not a long term use compressor. He also said that the two stage compressors they make are considerably better than their single stage compressors and MILES better than the oilless compressors. I guess I'll be buying another compressor in a couple of years and "THIS TIME"....I'll be getting and IR Two Stage Compressor.

<b>Jim Becker</b> - Don't get this compressor.....IF you have to buy a Borg sold compressor....then get the two stage compressor!!!!!

All this is stated just to give others or future buyers a heads up so that YOU TOO won't have to go through what I am going through.!!! :mad:

Buyer and shopper beware......

BTW, I warned CH that I would be posting this on a WW forum with MANY members.........So they alread know that this is getting posted. They just don't know WHICH WW forum this is getting posted on. :D

Frustrated in Conway, AR.......

Jim Becker
01-29-2004, 8:42 AM
<b>Jim Becker</b> - Don't get this compressor.....IF you have to buy a Borg sold compressor....then get the two stage compressor!!!!!

I pretty much figure I'll go with the IR when I bite. Both Northern Tool and Tractor Supply are good sources and the end cost about the same, depending on the phase of the moon, etc.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're experiencing...can you return it?

G.C. Wagner
01-29-2004, 8:56 AM
I guess that explains why the pressure switch was missing from the CH that I looked at in the Tractor Supply. They probably gave it to someone that had that problem with one.

Anyway, I bought the IR there. With both CH and IR sitting side by side the difference in quality just stood out in my mind. My buddy also bought a IR from them after he saw mine.

Gerry

Matt Meiser
01-29-2004, 10:06 AM
I'd second the IR from Tractor Supply. I paid about $450 for mine with a 10% discount for opening a new TSC credit card.

I've had mine for about a year now with no problems. I actually had the same problems with my Sears compressor as Dennis, although mine was a bit older (early 70's.)

CPeter James
01-29-2004, 10:55 AM
I, just like everyone else likes a good deal and wants to spread my tool buying dollar as far it it will go, but I have learned that if you buy the best , you only buy once, if you go the cheap route, you buy and buy and buy.

As for your compressor, either IR or Qunicy would be a good choice. Be aware that IR has several different grade levels in their serires T30 compresors. Plan on spending at least $1,200 and get a good one with the larger motor. A 5 hp that is rated at least 22 amps.

Buy ir from a local supplier. They are very widely distributed and some of the local dealers are very competative in the pricing. I can get a IR from a dealer here in NH for the same or less that most of the catalog houses and also get SERVICE and advice when I want it.

Wes Bischel
01-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Dennis, sorry to hear about your problems. I have an older model similar to yours I picked up a few years ago at Lowes. It had a note on the side in large letters to call customer service not the store where it was purchased. After break-in, a gasket blew out rendering the unit inoperable. I called the store and asked if they had another in stock and hauled it back (both times needing to borrow a friends van). They gave me a new one no questions. In your case, maybe they will take it back as a defective unit - they are just going to dump it back on CH and want a happy customer. A pain to take it back for sure, but it would put an end to the hassle.

Good luck, Wes

Ken Garlock
01-29-2004, 11:34 AM
I, just like everyone else likes a good deal and wants to spread my tool buying dollar as far it it will go, but I have learned that if you buy the best , you only buy once, if you go the cheap route, you buy and buy and buy.

As for your compressor, either IR or Qunicy would be a good choice. Be aware that IR has several different grade levels in their serires T30 compresors. Plan on spending at least $1,200 and get a good one with the larger motor. A 5 hp that is rated at least 22 amps.

Buy ir from a local supplier. They are very widely distributed and some of the local dealers are very competative in the pricing. I can get a IR from a dealer here in NH for the same or less that most of the catalog houses and also get SERVICE and advice when I want it.

Well, I almost agree with you. However, I purchased what I believe to be a top of the line IR for $999.99 delivered to my garage. I used Northern Tool as the purchase point. The actual compressor is shipped from the IR factory, FREE shipping. The inportant thing as you say is to check out the various levels of offered. Like several companies, IR has their "good" and their "best" quality units. Mine is a V-2 two cyclinder, two stage compressor, and as I have said in the past, it is the last compressor I will need to buy. You can check Dennis' original post about buying a compressor to get a URL to the compressor I bought. :)

Chris Padilla
01-29-2004, 11:53 AM
BTW, I warned CH that I would be posting this on a WW forum with MANY members.........So they alread know that this is getting posted. They just don't know WHICH WW forum this is getting posted on. :D

Frustrated in Conway, AR.......
Dennis,

I do hope companies realise what bad press can do for them. I am not so sure that they CARE if you post bad things about them even though they SHOULD care.

How powerful do you think these forums are?

Byron Trantham
01-29-2004, 1:52 PM
Dennis,

How powerful to you think these forums are?

Powerful enough for ME to keep from buying one and telling anyone I know intrerested to not do it. :mad:

Dennis Peacock
01-29-2004, 1:58 PM
Dennis,

I do hope companies realise what bad press can for them. I am not so sure that they CARE if you post bad things about them even though they SHOULD care.

How powerful to you think these forums are?

Chris....I have no idea how powerful these forums are......

All I know is that I don't want YOU or any other SMC "buddy of mine" to go through what I am going through. Just helping another member be a little bit wiser to purchasing a common tool.

Richard Allen
01-29-2004, 2:58 PM
Hi Dennis

Is take it back to HD and fix the old compressor an option you are considering?

Thanks

Dennis Peacock
01-29-2004, 3:49 PM
Well......I finally got a message back from CH. So what did they say?

<b>Take it back to the store or we will provide a Service Center to take it to for repair.</b>

Either way, I would have to load this thing up myself and take it somewhere....so why not take it back to HD.?

I'm taking it back to the store. I will see if HD will give me my credit back....then head over to the tractor store and see if they have an IR on the floor for me to take home and put on my floor. :-)

Scott Coffelt
01-29-2004, 4:52 PM
no returns? I believe they have a 30 or 90 day policy with all purchases anyway. I wouldn't leave the store without a full refund, regarless of who I had to talk with. I am sure you spent a pretty penny anyways.

Chris Padilla
01-29-2004, 5:01 PM
Well......I finally got a message back from CH. So what did they say?

Take it back to the store or we will provide a Service Center to take it to for repair.

Either way, I would have to load this thing up myself and take it somewhere....so why not take it back to HD.?

I'm taking it back to the store. I will see if HD will give me my credit back....then head over to the tractor store and see if they have an IR on the floor for me to take home and put on my floor. :-)

Yep...that's the way to do it! Sock it to 'em, the bastages. They obviously don't want your money; must not be green enough or something! ;)

My neighbor and I both have that Sears Professional series compressor. His is going on 3 years working perfectly which convinced me to pick one up. Mine is nearly a year old working fine thus far. IR is great, too. I think you'll be sitting fine for many years to come either way.

Dennis Peacock
01-29-2004, 5:41 PM
no returns? I believe they have a 30 or 90 day policy with all purchases anyway. I wouldn't leave the store without a full refund, regarless of who I had to talk with. I am sure you spent a pretty penny anyways.

Scott and Chris....

I will be talking this little issue over with LOML tonight and a decision will be made tonight as to the final outcome of this ordeal.

I'll update again once I reach the end of this "tunnel".!

John Miliunas
01-29-2004, 6:20 PM
Powerful enough for ME to keep from buying one and telling anyone I know intrerested to not do it. :mad:

Hrmph! And here I thought that CH was a decent outfit! Certainly NOT the FIRST time I've been wrong about brands in the last few months! I'm with Byron and, as it happens, my co-worker is right now in the process of setting up for a small compressor and nailer. New home owner and wants to start doing his own projects. The nailer is easy: Pasload (spelling?) BUT, who the heck makes small compressors like that besides CH? :cool:

David LaRue
01-29-2004, 9:47 PM
A while back, I called CH customer service on my HVLP unit. The cup and suction tube corroded through from galvanic corrosion, so when I used it with lacquer it leaked all over, and I got a bit frustrated. I called customer service and they were not very nice, and said basically I was on my own unless I wanted to buy a new one.. Not sure what I expected, but at least thought I would get a sympathetic ear. Not so. Hence, I have steered clear of the Husky (CH in red paint), and CH since.

BTW, I used to have a 2 stage 60 gallon Quincy, and it was the cat's meow. :D Very stout and quiet. I used to use it to paint cars. No I wish I had it once again!

David

John Shuk
01-29-2004, 9:54 PM
Dennis,
As much as it stinks HD will take it back no problem I'm sure. I return stuff all the time. If you have a receipt I'd take the dough and go for the IR.

Dennis Peacock
01-29-2004, 11:34 PM
LOML and I decided tonight that if the local TSC (Tractor Supply Company) had the IR in stock and the price was not much more that what I bought the other for.....AND I could get a 10% discount for getting an TSC Credit Card.....that we would get the IR. I checked on the web and seems the going price is $499....Still not too bad but with a hopeful 10% discount, the price would only be about $51 more than the Husky that was purchased.

In my mind, that will be $51 worth of better quality compressor from a Name that I understand and know I can trust. Maybe....just maybe I will have NEW PICS of the IR come Saturday. :D

Jeff Hamilton
01-30-2004, 4:45 PM
Dennis,
Thanks for the info I was going to upgrade from my porter cable 25 gal
to one of the borg machines you just saved me alot of trouble.
Jeff Hamilton