PDA

View Full Version : Deer Game Calls

Marvin Hasenak
09-02-2007, 7:56 PM
I spend most of my time at one of my lathes working on game calls. This is one of my favorites to make, my deer grunt calls. I usually make them about 8" long, here I was experimenting with a smaller pocket version. The white band is PVC pipe that was Gorilla glued on prior to shaping the call body. The finish is combination of Danish oil, BLO and poly blend, then a friction polish and finally a wax blend. This design goes back to the pre 1960s when the plastic tube started invading the deer call scene.
Marvin

Jude Kingery
09-02-2007, 8:26 PM
Beautiful work, Marvin! Just finally today cut some PVC to try an inlay on a bowl! Really nice. I can attest to these as having seen this type of his work in person, very nicely done. Jude

Bonnie Campbell
09-02-2007, 8:39 PM
Really nice looking grunt call!

Marvin Hasenak
09-02-2007, 9:30 PM
Thanks for the comments Jude and Bonnie.

I have seen your work in person also Jude, defintely top notch. Bonnie or is that "Justannie", you been skipping out on CCO lately, been missing you posting those turkey calls.

Marvin

Gary Garmar
09-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Marvin; could you give a few more details about the call - such as where you get the internal parts for the call or do you make that as well.
Thanks;
Gary

Marvin Hasenak
09-03-2007, 1:22 AM
Gary
Look up a THO game calls on Google, he sells parts and has several very good tutorials. He covers closed reed, open reed, acrylic etc. He sells all of the basic parts for hobby callmakers. Another source is HUT products. I would stay away from the duck and goose inserts, they qualify more as noise makers than duck or goose calls.

Questions? PM me.

Marvin

Bonnie Campbell
09-03-2007, 8:46 AM
THO has a pretty good reputation for his parts. I haven't gotten into the grunts yet due to no mandrel.

I've just been watching things lately at CCO Marvin. Sometimes I get tired of playing nice with the big boys ;)

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2007, 9:32 AM
Those are great looking calls Marvin. Well done.

Andy Hoyt
09-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Grunt Calls. I like it. The Marine Corps seems a likely potential customer. :cool:

Marvin Hasenak
09-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Bonnie look at CCO under the supplies section for my new mandrel, for a deer grunt call it would take a 3/4" and a 1/2" for the 2 parts of the regular deer grunter calls.

Andy, the Marines don't have a copyright on "grunts". That covers all Infantry even the Army. Proud to say I was a grunt with the First Air Cav, '68/'69.

Marvin