PDA

View Full Version : gast pump question

Hilel Salomon
09-02-2007, 4:13 PM
I went ahead and bought a couple of the gast pumps on sale at surplus center. Is there a diagram which will let me know the intake and outtake sides? I looked up the gast site, but can't for the life of me figure out which of the pumps on their list is mine.

Wes Bischel
09-02-2007, 6:51 PM
Hilel,
I picked up a used pump a while back and checked for the correct orientation by starting it up and feeling for vacuum or pressure. If I understood your question.

FWIW,

Wes

Christopher K. Hartley
09-02-2007, 7:23 PM
Hilel, look at the front of the pump housing just below the port holes on the top of the pump you should see the words "IN" (intake)and "OUT" (exhaust). This tells you what you want to know. See the pic below

Tom Klass
09-02-2007, 7:47 PM
It should have an arrow showing the direction, or as the last post said "in" "out" at the port. Standard vac pumps should be running clockwise looking at the pump end. If you still can't tell take the end of the pump cover off and check the direction of the vanes. The sharp end is your leading edge it will look like a chisel. Be very carefull handling them they are made of carbon and break easily or chip which will cause poor vac. Then you'll hve to replace the set. I got mine from one of the past employments, brand new wouldn't draw a vac. they threw it out so I was able to get it found that the vanes were broken ordered new ones from grainger. Runs perfect draws 27 in Hg.
Tom

Hilel Salomon
09-04-2007, 8:47 AM
Thank you all. After looking at it from the end, I did find the inscriptions "out" and "in." Now I have to figure out what went wrong with my wiring. I wired directly from the three wires coming out of the pump and when I plugged it in, it made a strange noise and then a low humm and then nothing. I assumed that black and white were interchangeable since it is 220 volts. I will try another plug. If that works, I'll put a switch between the pump and outlet. Do you folks use filters on both the out and in sides?
Regards, Hilel.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-04-2007, 8:55 AM
Thank you all. After looking at it from the end, I did find the inscriptions "out" and "in." Now I have to figure out what went wrong with my wiring. I wired directly from the three wires coming out of the pump and when I plugged it in, it made a strange noise and then a low humm and then nothing. I assumed that black and white were interchangeable since it is 220 volts. I will try another plug. If that works, I'll put a switch between the pump and outlet. Do you folks use filters on both the out and in sides?
Regards, Hilel. I cut back to one filter on the "in" side.:)

Tom Klass
09-04-2007, 8:23 PM
I use both it helps to contain the carbon dust from the vanes. I figured I have enough dust in the shop that Idon't need black dust all over everything too. :D