PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want some Corian for Freedom Pens?

Jerry Stringer
01-29-2004, 12:41 AM
I may be creating a LOT of work for myself with this offer but I went to a local countertop supplier and told him about the Freedom Pen Project. He loaded me up with a LOT of countertop material. It's not the Corian name but is called Gibralter. He said that it is the same thing but just a different brand.

Almost all of what I have is in long strips that are about 1/2" by about 3/4" and up to 8 feet long. Colors are in the whites, tans, light blues, grays, and light green ranges. Some have fine speckling and some have large speckling. There are a few larger pieces but nothing huge or hard to handle.

I have never turned a pen out of this material and, quite frankly, much prefer wood. I may use some for center rings but the most I will probably ever use is one stick. The rest is up for grabs and he told me to come back next week for more!

Here's what I'm thinking . . . if there is a desire for it, I can cut it in pieces that will fill up a standard sized post office shipping box. You pay the actual shipping cost and it's yours. I'll TRY to get close to the colors that you want but remember that I'm working for free here!!!!

I'd like to know if there's an interest before I take the time to cut it all up so if you want some, please email me at:

jds (at) htcomp.net (replace the (at) with @ )

I'd really prefer to see this go to Freedom Pens and not for sale on Ebay!

Thanks!

JDS

Ken Salisbury
01-29-2004, 4:31 PM
If you have any solid red - send to me and I will reimburse you for the shipping costs. I sent e-mail with the snail mail address.

Rob Littleton
01-29-2004, 4:37 PM
If you have any solid red - send to me and I will reimburse you for the shipping costs.

Ken,

if I get Red, White and Blue Corian. what do you use to glue it together ready for turning?

Jerry, if you are willing to ship it to California, I can give you my fed Ex account number and you can reverse bill me if that is OK?

Thanks

Ken Salisbury
01-29-2004, 4:45 PM
Ken,

if I get Red, White and Blue Corian. what do you use to glue it together ready for turning?

Thanks

I rough up the surfaces with 120 grit paper and apply gel CA glue with lots of clamps and allow to sit over night before removing clamps

Jerry Stringer
01-30-2004, 12:41 AM
OK, I put a box together that is from the post office. It's the size used to send VHS tapes and because I used the box that they provided, it has to be sent Priority Mail. (I can put this in another box for a Fed-Ex shipment).

I was able to cut the countertop material in 5 1/8" lengths and it fits perfect in the box. Some of the pieces are about 1 1/2" by 1/2" by 5 1/8" and can be cut lengthwise to make 2 pens, but most pieces are 3/4" by 1/2" by 5 1/8" and should work great for a pen. If my calculations are correct, you should be able to get 31 pens from one box of pieces.

Here's my problem . . . my home postal scale only goes to 3 lbs and this is over 3 lbs. I don't have a clue what the postage will be right now, but my wife is going to take the box to the P.O. on Friday and get a weight for me. With that, I can figure the postage to any zip code by using the post office website.

Or . . . if you are wanting different length, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I don't have any bright colors. There are shades of white, tans, grays, light blue, light green, etc.

Rob - as far as Fed-Exing it to you on your account, I'm great with that . . . Do I have to go to a Fed-Ex office or will a local private shipping office work (they offer shipping by several carriers).

Thanks!

Jerry Stringer
Burleson, Texas 76028

Rob Littleton
01-30-2004, 12:45 AM
OK, I put a box together that is from the post office. It's the size used to send VHS tapes and because I used the box that they provided, it has to be sent Priority Mail. (I can put this in another box for a Fed-Ex shipment).

I was able to cut the countertop material in 5 1/8" lengths and it fits perfect in the box. Some of the pieces are about 1 1/2" by 1/2" by 5 1/8" and can be cut lengthwise to make 2 pens, but most pieces are 3/4" by 1/2" by 5 1/8" and should work great for a pen. If my calculations are correct, you should be able to get 31 pens from one box of pieces.

Here's my problem . . . my home postal scale only goes to 3 lbs and this is over 3 lbs. I don't have a clue what the postage will be right now, but my wife is going to take the box to the P.O. on Friday and get a weight for me. With that, I can figure the postage to any zip code by using the post office website.

Or . . . if you are wanting different length, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I don't have any bright colors. There are shades of white, tans, grays, light blue, light green, etc.

Rob - as far as Fed-Exing it to you on your account, I'm great with that . . . Do I have to go to a Fed-Ex office or will a local private shipping office work (they offer shipping by several carriers).

Thanks!

Jerry Stringer
Burleson, Texas 76028

Postal Annex or Kinkos or any Fed Ex office will have the labels and shipping boxes. If you can email me (robl@cisco.com), I will give you the account number and address.

Appreciate it. thanks

Do you have any red, white and blue?

Glenn McCullough
01-30-2004, 6:57 AM
I am interested in making some freedom pens. I am interested in the corian you have available. Please let me know and I will be glad to pay the shipping costs.
Glenn (gmccullough79@comcast.net)

Chris Johnson
01-30-2004, 8:29 AM
OK, Jerry...here is the little Prority Mail "trick". Take the video box that you put the blanks in, and then put that box in the Prority Mail Envelope that they have. It will fit, but not by much. Anything that fits in that bag goes for $3.85! It will save everyone a bunch of money.

I'd like to take you up on the offer of a box if youhave any left. Thanks for the kind oddfer.

Thanks!

Jerry Stringer
Burleson, Texas 76028