PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt Radial armsaw

Liem Tran
09-02-2007, 12:40 PM
I found a Dewalt Powershop for sale locally for $150. The saw looks to like it's in great shape. I was wondering if this is a good price for one of these. Also the seller said that it starts up a little slow, but works just fine. Is that a potential problem or is it a minor fix? I've attach some pics. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Liem

Ed Jolin
09-02-2007, 4:00 PM
Hi Liem -
IMO it depends on how bad you want/need it. I got my 7730 for $50 , which, incidentally I have posted in the classifieds for the same price (bought it on a whim). I got my 7790 for $150 (12").

Now that I've got one (two), I wish I would have waited for an older model to come by, but it still is a workable saw.

I did notice in the picture that the antikickback pawls are missing, which eliminates the ability to do any ripping. I looked into the price of a replacement for mine as well, and it was rather costly (I misplaced the price I found, but I want to guess $30-$50). Not a big deal if you're only using for crosscuts.

There are some other forums (like owwm) that you might search for reference on older tools like this.

If you're new to using a RAS, I highly recommend the Mr. Sawdust book on radial arm saws. (no affiliation)

-ed

Mike Langford
09-02-2007, 7:40 PM
.............If you're new to using a RAS, I highly recommend the Mr. Sawdust book on radial arm saws. (no affiliation)
-ed

Looks like good advice, Ed.....I just came from his website (mrsawdust.com) and he sounds like he was quite a guy!
Seems he was well respected and loved by many....especialy his family!

(no affiliation either)

Dan O'Connor
09-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Google the dewalt radial arm saw forum. I don't think this model is very highly regarded. Look for a 7790, or an earlier cast round arm saw. The Mr. Sawdust book is excellent.

Liem Tran
09-03-2007, 4:04 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I better check out that book before I make any decisions.

Charlie Velasquez
09-03-2007, 5:19 PM
This looks like it IS the 7790. If so, many consider this the best of the "newer" (read post 1970's) Dewalts. If you are in no hurry you may still want to consider waiting for a humpback, but if this is the 7790 that is not a bad price.

As others have mentioned, you should get the Mr. Sawdust book or some other highly regarded book on the RAS. You can probably find the owner's manual in PDF format at OWWM web site. With regards to safety and proper set-up and use of the RAS the adage, "Experience is the best teacher," is NOT the case. Remember Norm's famous words,
"Before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury."