PDA

View Full Version : simulate aluminium plate on wood?

Gregory Chang
09-02-2007, 11:54 AM
I am building a small amplifier case, and I like to stick with 1/2" plywood, but very interested in simulating aluminium plate as attached.

Anyone have a suggestion? SOme sort of paint comes to mind.

thanks,

Greg

Wes Bischel
09-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Greg,
The picture posted shows a painted piece, so you're ahead of the game already (versus attempting to mimic anodized aluminum).

The first step is making sure you eliminate the wood grain. I use primer/filler or high build primer. Multiple coats and sand with wet/dry sand paper 400 grit in between coats. Just make sure you use a sanding block and keep the edges and corners crisp. Once the primer is cured, any finish coat will look like it's on aluminum. Preparation of the surface is key.

The picture shown has a large flake metallic with a subtle texture. There are rattle can paints available now to do this type of finish even from one of the Borgs.

If more texture is desired, once you have good coverage, let the last coat flash over and begin to spray from a distance of 18" or so. This will "dry spray" the part and create a nice texture. Experiment first to get the feel for the technique.
I have used it on many prototypes with great success.

Wes