PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Storage

Ken Stevens
09-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I am curious about what you folks do for router bit storage. I am designing a router stand and could use some comments to help decide whether to a) drill 1/4 and 1/2 dia holes in a block and stick the bits in some order in the block, or rather b) continue to keep the bits in the plastic bags they come in and store in several plastic compartmented boxes (like tackle boxes). I suppose it is up to one's choice but are there any negatives to having the bits "out in the air" so to speak?

Would appreciate hearing about your approach and any suggestions.

Thanks.

Chuck Lenz
09-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Ken, I had a piece of Corian type material that I drilled holes in and inserted the bits into it. I put it all into a drawer in my tool cabinet for now till I build a router table with drawers. I don't like carbide touching anything when storeing because it's so hard it's brittle.

Greg Funk
09-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I keep mine in 1/4 and 1/2" holes drilled in a block of wood and store in a drawer. Seems to work fine.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=70569&d=1188094168

Mack Cameron
09-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Here's my cabinet; Plans from "WOOD".
22" X 26" X 6" deep, hangs on the wall with french cleats.
And it's too small already!

Dave Sweeney
09-02-2007, 12:42 PM
I use these (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=50697&cat=1,46168,50736) from Lee Valley. Not fancy but they work great.

scott spencer
09-02-2007, 12:48 PM
The sky's the limit... I tend to keep my sets in the original boxres. The loose bits are in a shallow drawer. To save some height, the bits are set at an angle in a block of wood...a few rows of them holds alot of bits. If you drill material to hold your bits, I'd suggest making them slightly over the aim size...especially if you use wood.

Peter Stahl
09-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I bought a deep rubbermaid container, cut a piece of wood to fit it and drilled holes in it. Only have a dozen or so bits so they are all in one place. I like the showcase that Mack posted above. He's got a better selection then Home Depot!

Gary Curtis
09-02-2007, 5:52 PM
Two strategies worked for me. With about 100 bits, I couldn't keep them in original containers, or just rattling around in a drawer because of the danger of damaging the carbide edges, and for organization.

1) I got a used, beat up plexiglass display case from my tool dealer. That goes up on the wall. Great for organization, and for visibility. You can buy these for about $40 from Woodcraft new.

2) Highland Hardware sells a beautifully made hardwood case with a lid and capacity for 25 half inch bits and 25 quarter inchers. This takes wide diameter cutters and keeps them save. Although they are hidden from site. Cost is $29.

Bits that are out in the open will accumulate a lot of sawdust. And you need to prevent corrosion, so a lid or plexiglass door help.

Gary Curtis:)

Jeffrey Schronce
09-02-2007, 8:14 PM
Here's my cabinet; Plans from "WOOD".
22" X 26" X 6" deep, hangs on the wall with french cleats.
And it's too small already!

Was that in the Magazine or did you find the plans online? Can you advise source?

Thanks!

Bill Lantry
09-02-2007, 8:45 PM
Exactly. Don't drill half inch holes. Make them 17/32 or 33/64. You'll be glad you did...

Don't ask me how I know... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Jim Becker
09-02-2007, 9:13 PM
I had them in drawers in my previous router table (with inserts containing holes the same diameter as the shanks to hold the cutters), but need to build a cabinet for them since I changed my setup not long ago. It may very well be a dedicated drawer in the tool cabinet I'm soon to make.

Doug Shepard
09-02-2007, 9:31 PM
Very low (no) tech. I just keep them in the plastic envelopes or little cases they were purchased in. Not super elegant but each one is labeled and they're protected from dust or corrosion. I think 95% of mine are confined to two 2" high drawers in the cabinet under my router table.

Matt Meiser
09-02-2007, 9:50 PM
I use a cabinet my grandfather built with some MDF shelves replacing the wooden cream cheese boxes he used in them. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44343&highlight=storage

Al Navas
09-02-2007, 9:57 PM
I am curious about what you folks do for router bit storage. I am designing a router stand and could use some comments to help decide whether to a) drill 1/4 and 1/2 dia holes in a block and stick the bits in some order in the block, or rather b) continue to keep the bits in the plastic bags they come in and store in several plastic compartmented boxes (like tackle boxes)...

Ken,

I have them right in the drawers of the router table, and have never had any problems with storage in the shop (air-conditioned during summer months, and heated in winter). The bit-holding holes are drilled to the proper shaft diameter plus 1/32".

The middle drawer is dedicated to 1/4-inch shaft bits (as you can see, only a few of these); the top drawer contains 1/2-inch shaft general-use bits, while the bottom drawer contains only 1/2-inch shaft cabinet making bits. The bit drawers on the right-hand side are set up the same way.

Al

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Shop%20Tools/Routerbitstorage.jpg

glenn bradley
09-02-2007, 11:18 PM
I keep mine in the plastic Plano boxes you see on each side of the router table door here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54205&d=1167872143). The compartments are adjustable for when things change. The plastic won't hurt the carbide and I can keep compartments for bearings, sleeves, bearing wrenches, etc. I also like that I don't have to grab them by the 'sharp parts'. When I run out of room, I add another one for about $3 at Lowe's.

Tony Haukap
09-03-2007, 3:12 AM
I don't remember where I saved this from, but I really like the modular approach and will probably incorporate it into my next router table.

Mack Cameron
09-03-2007, 6:48 AM
[quote]Was that in the Magazine or did you find the plans online? Can you advise source? Hello Jeffrey; WOOD Dec. '03 Iss. # 153 pge 69. It was a special insert with Freud bits on one side and the plans on the other.

Jeffrey Schronce
09-03-2007, 11:38 AM
[quote=Jeffrey Schronce;651911] Hello Jeffrey; WOOD Dec. '03 Iss. # 153 pge 69. It was a special insert with Freud bits on one side and the plans on the other.

Thanks. maybe I can check with Freud and see if they have a copy of it.

Mack Cameron
09-03-2007, 1:25 PM
Jeffrey; I see WOOD #153 is available on the WOOD site.
http://store.woodstore.net/is15de20.html

Ken Stevens
09-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Many thanks for sharing about bit storage. While I purchased a metal stand/rockler top combination, and was going to "clad" the metal stand in plywood, I decided the dimensions were too restrictive, so I am just going to turn the "cladding" into a cabinet/table. The ideas here will be quite helpful.

To Al Navas (or anyone with a similar drawer setup)--I am coming up with something similar (lots of router tables look like this, yes?) and I wanted to ask about the narrow drawers used for the bit storage. It seems I could put a rabbit on the bottom of the drawer and a shallow dado across the cabinet side. No need for a separate drawer slide??? or so it seems. Not sure what I would have to do to make sure the drawer opened smoothly. Soap perhaps?

Any comments on small drawers using rabbits sliding in grooves?

Thanks again,

Ken

PS: I clicked on the subscribe and get email notifications of replies to this thread (as well as others) and I never receive any email notifications. Is there something else to do?

John Gregory
09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Glenn,
Where did you get the paddle switches for your TS and Router table? Do you have a part number and cost?

Thanks
J

I keep mine in the plastic Plano boxes you see on each side of the router table door here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54205&d=1167872143). The compartments are adjustable for when things change. The plastic won't hurt the carbide and I can keep compartments for bearings, sleeves, bearing wrenches, etc. I also like that I don't have to grab them by the 'sharp parts'. When I run out of room, I add another one for about $3 at Lowe's.

Mack Cameron
09-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Many thanks for sharing about bit storage. While I purchased a metal stand/rockler top combination, and was going to "clad" the metal stand in plywood, I decided the dimensions were too restrictive, so I am just going to turn the "cladding" into a cabinet/table. The ideas here will be quite helpful.

To Al Navas (or anyone with a similar drawer setup)--I am coming up with something similar (lots of router tables look like this, yes?) and I wanted to ask about the narrow drawers used for the bit storage. It seems I could put a rabbit on the bottom of the drawer and a shallow dado across the cabinet side. No need for a separate drawer slide??? or so it seems. Not sure what I would have to do to make sure the drawer opened smoothly. Soap perhaps?

Thanks again,

Ken

[quote]PS: I clicked on the subscribe and get email notifications of replies to this thread (as well as others) and I never receive any email notifications. Is there something else to do? Hi Ken; this question was asked this morning on another forum I visit. An answer given was, it might have something to do with a popup blocker. I'm no computer expert, so I can't vouch for the validity of the answer.

Bill Huber
09-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Glenn,
Where did you get the paddle switches for your TS and Router table? Do you have a part number and cost?

Thanks
J

John, I am not Glenn but I have the same type switch on my saw and will have one on my new router table soon.
I have it mounted on the saw so I can just hit it with my knee to kill the saw.

I got mine from Rockler for $29.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17401&filter=switch

John Gregory
09-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks Bill

glenn bradley
09-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Or just extend the bottoms past the sides and into dados.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/uploadedimages/fine_woodworking_network/image_resources/cms/img1501-img1800/IMG1637_xl.jpg

glenn bradley
09-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Glenn,

Thanks
J

These are double pole single throw and can be used for 110 or 220. Includes a circuit breaker on the switch. The same switch is used by Orion and Steel City. Orion part number is OR91579. You could try Colleen at Orion / Steel City for availability:

Colleen Englert
Orion International
139 Delta Drive
Pittsburgh PA 15238
ph 412-967-0300 x109
fax 412-967-0400
colleen@oriontools.net (http://us.f822.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=colleen@oriontools.net)
colleen@steelcitytoolworks.net (colleen@steelcitytoolworks.net)

My dad has the Rockler type which is well made. I don't know the pole and throw configuration.