PDA

View Full Version : Input on bandsaw choice requested

Robert Ducharme
01-29-2004, 12:12 AM
I am trying to choose between several different bandsaws. The current choices are:

Delta 18" 2HP Industrial bandsaw model 28-682 ($1199) or X version
Jet 18" Woodworking bandsaw #708750B ($1099)

Are there other choices to look at? I might even be willing to re-condition an older one (maybe even larger). I am limited to single phase power. Definitely want the resaw capability.

I am looking for information comparing them: their advantages and disadvantages. References to review sites would also be useful.

Thanks for your assistance.

Steven Wilson
01-29-2004, 12:41 AM
For a light weight 18" bandsaw you should look at the Minimax S45. For something a bit more heavy duty try the Minimax MM16 or MM20. I have the MM20 and it's a nice heavy saw that can properly tension a 1" carbide blade, has a 4.8hp motor, and 16" resaw capacity.

Mark Singer
01-29-2004, 12:53 AM
Robert,
I would highly reccommend the Agazzani...The 18" is very good the 20" is great! Several SMC members have it along with people like Maloof, Krenov and Duginski...some members have made other decisions and are sorry, now. Bob Marino and Alan Turner both have the Agg, I think its worth the difference if there is a difference. I had the 18" Jet and returned it. I had a Laguna LT 16 and sent it back too
Here is the link:
http://www.eagle-tools.com/Pages/agazzani.html

Alan Turner
01-29-2004, 7:53 AM
Mark is correct; I have the Agazanni 20" and it is a fine saw. I put on the Carter guides, and while great for resawing (much better than the Euro's that come with it, IMHO), it is a four bearing set (two on ech side), and thus a pain for scrolling since you need change not only the blade, of course, but also remove one of the bearings from each side. It resaws to 12.75", and does so quite well. Others have seen the cut, and can't believe it is from a bandsaw. On the other hand, were I the designer of the saw, at this price, I would include a micro adjust on the fence, and the miter slot is a joke, it is so small. had I the ceiling height, I would have opted for the Ag. 24, but that was not possible without digging a hole in the basement floor.
All said, I do not know that the Ag. is better than the Minimax. I suspect the prices are quite comparable. For years I ran the standard Delta 14", and had tricked it up as much as possible, at considerable expense. It still was terrible for resawing, which I do often. The DC on the European saws is excellent, and perhaps the ones you mention are also good at this; resawing really puts a lot of sawdust in the air.
Just my opinion, but on a tool of this importance, Iwould not skimp.
Alan

Mark Bachler
01-29-2004, 8:40 AM
I’m not sure what the price tag on the Agazanni is but I just ordered a MM 16 as part of a package deal for $1695. 3.6 Hp motor, 13” resaw, 1 ¼” blade Cap., 17 ¾” x 24 ½” table, 465 lbs. W/ 3 blades & mobility kit. Their customer service can’t be beat. IMHO.

Glenn Clabo
01-29-2004, 9:12 AM
I just bought the Grizzly 17"... for 800 bucks it's an amazing machine. Don't take my word for it...There are a few other Creekers who have them...but check out Terry Hatfields web site under tool review.
http://www.terryhatfield.com/

Robert Ducharme
01-29-2004, 1:20 PM
Alan,

I am looking for information about the Agazanni 20" and the bearings you suggested. However, I cannot find anything useful when I seached the internet. Could you please provide more details? pictures?

Robert Ducharme
01-29-2004, 1:38 PM
Never mind Alan,

I saw that I missed a link above for some information at eagle tools. I will look at that further. Thanks anyway.

Bob Marino
01-29-2004, 1:41 PM
Robert,

Try looking up Eagle Tools. They are the west coast distributors of the Agazanni saws. Their version is called Euroshop. Also, the number is 323-999-2909. Hopefully, when I get my electricity for the saw installed, I will post some pics and a review of sorts. Having said that, Eagle Tools seems to offer excellent cs. Prior to them shipping the saw, it is inspected and cleaned.

Bob

Mike Wilkins
01-29-2004, 3:24 PM
I upgraded from a very good Delta 14" to the Laguna LT18, and have no
regrets. Others on this and other forums have bashed Laguna for their
less-than-stellar customer service, but this area has been improved.
Besides, these types of complaints should be taken with a grain of salt.

There are lots of satisfied Laguna bandsaw owners out there. Each of
the companies that have been named here make and sell some good
machines. Check around for the best deal for you and go for the most
bang for the buck.

good luck and watch those fingers. Mike

Paul B. Cresti
01-29-2004, 3:25 PM
I am trying to choose between several different bandsaws. The current choices are: Delta 18" 2HP Industrial bandsaw model 28-682 ($1199) or X version Jet 18" Woodworking bandsaw #708750B ($1099)Are there other choices to look at? I might even be willing to re-condition an older one (maybe even larger). I am limited to single phase power. Definitely want the resaw capability.

I am looking for information comparing them: their advantages and disadvantages. References to review sites would also be useful.

Robert,
I have the Aggazani B-24 and it is a very good saw. It runs extremely smooth and is a pleasure to use. I too have had very good CS from Eagle Tools and more directly from Jesse the owner. It did cost me a bit (espcially the shipping) but I know I have a saw for life (and my son's life..)!

Steven Wilson
01-29-2004, 3:25 PM
... have it along with people like Maloof, Krenov and Duginski

Duginski's using a Minimax now :D

Boyd Gathwright
01-29-2004, 7:54 PM
Hello Robert,

In doing most of my homework, this may help both of us in making a final bandsaw decision. Bandsaws less than 20 inches have a problem with carbide blades. Don’t misunderstand me, they will work ok but in time there will be a problem. It seems that the radius is too tight below twenty inches and they eventually break. I have read that the technology is now in place to correct this problem and it will be corrected, but there is such a stockpile of the older carbide blades that until this stock is reduced considerably, one to three years out, the manufactures aren’t in any hurry to bring to market, anytime soon, the NEW carbide blade technology that will supposedly hold up, as I understand.

Since I found out this information, I decided to go with a Twenty-inch or greater bandsaw knowing that the old and the future new blades will most likely be around for years to come. With that said, I set out to make a choice on bandsaws. I believe you can do no better than the 20” Mini-Max bandsaw @ approximately $2800.00 (pricey). The 20” Agazzani @ approximately $2400.00 is also a good saw. I don’t know as much about this machine but I have heard ONLY good things about it and wouldn’t hesitate in buying one if the price were right. Now, you might laugh at my third and last choice, but I think it is worth considering. The 20” Grizzly G0507 bandsaw @ approximately $1500.00 in my opinion would also be a good consideration. Here’s why, this is a new bandsaw for Grizzly, so new in fact I can’t fine anyone who owns one. I have talked to the factory and they tell me it most difinitely will pass the nickel test and it is considered a non-hobby but commercial machine type. Since most of my work is along the Model Shop lines, onesies and twosies, this machine I think, as of now, should workout well. I had considered going with their next biggest bandsaw the G3619 but then you get into blade width problems. On the G0507, the widths are three eights to one inch and on the G3619 the widths are half inch to two inches and that’s a little big. I firmly believe that Grizzly, like Mini Max has learned that they must support their customers. I, like Terry Hatfield, own an aircraft carrier the Grizzly G0500, 75” (joiner). I couldn’t agree with Terry more when he says; it’s a very good value for under a thousand dollars. The wing tips on my joiner where not finished off like the rest of the machine and I was satisfied for the time being to leave well enough alone thinking that enough lumber will brighten them up in time. I happened to mention this in casual conversation with Grizzly and the UPS man showed up with two new replacements. In talking to Grizzly about the G0507 bandsaw it has all the adjustments that the others have and the bearings and tires are easily replaced when the time comes or if there is a defect. Hope this helps.

Just my two and a half cents worth ;)

Boyd

I am trying to choose between several different bandsaws. The current choices are: Delta 18" 2HP Industrial bandsaw model 28-682 ($1199) or X version Jet 18" Woodworking bandsaw #708750B ($1099)Are there other choices to look at? I might even be willing to re-condition an older one (maybe even larger). I am limited to single phase power. Definitely want the resaw capability.

Dave Brown
01-29-2004, 8:49 PM
I’m not sure what the price tag on the Agazanni is but I just ordered a MM 16 as part of a package deal for $1695. 3.6 Hp motor, 13” resaw, 1 ¼” blade Cap., 17 ¾” x 24 ½” table, 465 lbs. W/ 3 blades & mobility kit. Their customer service can’t be beat. IMHO.
Hi, I want to buy a MM16 and saw your post,please tell me where you were able to buy w/ blades and wheels for $1695 and who the sales man was. I see their site has it for 1995. Did they tell you when they will be in stock? Thanks, dave

Bob Marino
01-29-2004, 8:59 PM
Hi, I want to buy a MM16 and saw your post,please tell me where you were able to buy w/ blades and wheels for $1695 and who the sales man was. I see their site has it for 1995. Did they tell you when they will be in stock? Thanks, dave

Dave,

That was last year's price. The new price is as stated.

Bob

Jim Becker
01-29-2004, 10:08 PM

All of the importers have been hit hard with the dollar vs the euro ratio as of late. Mini Max is no exception and the current prices on their site reflect that complication. Call them and talk. You may be able to put together a package that works for you.

Jim Young
01-29-2004, 10:44 PM
I also ended up buying the Agazzani 20". After looking at the large Jet and the regular group of 14"ers I went with something more substantial. I didn't want to in the future look back and say I wish I would have bought a larger/nicer saw. So I spent more up front. Having this saw now for four years I have not found a situation where I needed something larger or more surdy.

Mark Singer
01-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Jim,
I feel exactly the same...The Agazzani has zero vibration...cuts perfectly straight...the numbers are deceving...weight is not the same as stiffness. Eagle carries both and they reccomend the Aggazani. The MM is the old Centurato which I have used....its like night and day!

Chris Pasko
01-30-2004, 1:36 AM
I have the MM20, and though I am basically a newb, the limited use on the saw has been an absolute pleasure. very sturdy, no vibration, and there customer support is fabulous. They have their own forum with many members to help you out, and the manufacturer is also a participant. Its awesome!

Dominic Greco
01-30-2004, 7:50 AM
I am trying to choose between several different bandsaws. The current choices are:

Delta 18" 2HP Industrial bandsaw model 28-682 ($1199) or X version
Jet 18" Woodworking bandsaw #708750B ($1099)

Rob,
Cause' I have the Jet 18" Bandsaw and am quite happy with it. It is a pretty damn nice bandsaw for the price. I must admit that I used Woodworker's Warehouse recent demise to get an even better deal on this bandsaw. :D

Here is a quick review:
The saw was set up and running pretty fast after I got it home.Discard the factory blade as soon as you get the chance. Don't save it, just toss it! It's not even worth the wall space it takes up. Get a Timberwolf (or better) blade ASAP.

Adjusting the guides takes some getting used to. The engineer who designed the adjustment for the lower guides should be ashamed of themselves! It is almost impossible to adjust them without tilting the table out of the way.

Installing a new blade on this machine is as easy a task as with my old Jet 14". Since I am a woodturner, I installed a blade that is used for cutting wet wood up for blanks. This is a 3/8" x 4 TPI AS blade as sold by Suffolk Machinery/Timberwolf. I also purchased a 1" resaw blade for other projects.

Tensioning and tracking was no problem. I like the readout on the front of the blade guides that tells you the amount of exposed blade. The tensioning scale is a nice touch.

After the blade was set up and the guides adjusted, I began to cut up some particularly nasty hickory, osage orange, cherry and apple I had laying around. All of the cuts were smooth and the saw had no problems. The 1 1/2 HP motor never even got warm during this test.

The 4" dust collection port is located on the lower wheel housing just below the blade guides. There is a plastic dust deflector there that is supposed to help direct the sawdust into the 4" port. However, I found that a great deal of sawdust collects in the base of the lower wheel well directly under the guides. A 4" port down there would probably be a good idea.

This bandsaw comes with the miter gauge and fence. The fence is so-so, but has worked fine when I have had the occasion to use it. The T-Track miter gauge is pretty basic and will probably be used to hold a finger joint jig for my tablesaw. I plan on using my Incra Miter gauge on this bandsaw when I finally get the chance to start making compound cuts for segmented bowls.

To mobilize this 325 lb bandsaw, I bought an HTC2000 Universal mobile base. This base makes moving this machine around a piece of cake and I couldn't be happier with it (another reason I'm odd man out here) :D .

All in all I'm pretty happy with the saw and consider it a great addition to my shop.

If I had the available cash, I might have "gone for the gold" and bought a Minimax 16". But I did not have the $1600.00 to $2000.00 available for a European Bandsaw. And while I have heard great things about Grizzly, I couldn't walk up to one and kick the tires like I did with the Jet.

I considered the Delta 18", but none were in stock at my local stores. And like I said, I never buy sight unseen. The Delta does feature a 2Hp motor, and (2) dust ports. Both of which are very nice features.

John Miliunas
01-30-2004, 7:56 AM
I upgraded from a very good Delta 14" to the Laguna LT18, and have no
regrets. Others on this and other forums have bashed Laguna for their
less-than-stellar customer service, but this area has been improved.
Besides, these types of complaints should be taken with a grain of salt.

There are lots of satisfied Laguna bandsaw owners out there. Each of
the companies that have been named here make and sell some good
machines. Check around for the best deal for you and go for the most
bang for the buck.

good luck and watch those fingers. Mike

With *all due respect*, those complaints should be taken with more than just a grain of salt! I don't doubt that there are many satisfied LT owners out there, but I think part of that depends on which model you buy and if whatever you're buying works properly out of the crate. If not, take that grain of salt and start adding in a bunch of Aspirin, Tylenol, your favorite "beverage" and maybe even some "Prozak"! Without going into the whole story here, I ordered an LT16 the begining of Nov. I got it mid-Dec. It vibrates to the point of being unuseable. At first, it was literally a violent shaking. With the help of Laguna's Tech Support, we got the vibration "down" to where you can lay a board on the table and it will stay up there for about 20 seconds instead of two or three! Many, many hours of working on it both, with and without their Tech Sup. hasn't resolved the issues. I'm expecting new wheels for it today. I'll see if that takes care of it. Bottom line: I'm really happy for you and your experience with your saw. (I've actually heard pretty good stuff about the 16 HD and up.) On the other hand, if one gets a unit with problems, start buying your salt in the 50lb. bags! Just MHO, of course.... :(

Mark Bachler
01-30-2004, 6:55 PM

It was a package deal I put a down payment on in December to hold the price for me. I ordered a S315WS sliding table saw, a T50 shaper,a FS35 Smart jointer/ planer, and a MM16 band saw. When your spending that kind of money you can usually work a little better deal. My shipping ran me $1000. It all works out in the long run. Mini Max split up the total the way they saw fit. It all showed up today.

Jim Becker
01-30-2004, 7:01 PM
It was a package deal ... It all showed up today.

Major congratulations, Mark! I bet Jim Strain was grinning "big time" when you gave your saleperson that order! Instant shop. Enjoy...and start a gloat thread so you can post pictures!!!

Boyd Gathwright
01-30-2004, 8:22 PM
Mark,

That’s some mighty fine equipment you got there. You have just reduced most of your woodworking wants down to zero.

My best to you and good luck and we expect to see some pics in the near future.

Boyd :)

It was a package deal I put a down payment on in December to hold the price for me. I ordered a S315WS sliding table saw, a T50 shaper,a FS35 Smart jointer/ planer, and a MM16 band saw. When your spending that kind of money you can usually work a little better deal. My shipping ran me $1000. It all works out in the long run. Mini Max split up the total the way they saw fit. It all showed up today.

John Miliunas
01-30-2004, 8:29 PM
It all showed up today.

Hmmmm...Do I see a road trip in my future?! Congrats on all the nice tools! :cool:

Jim Becker
01-30-2004, 8:36 PM
Hmmmm...Do I see a road trip in my future?!

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! Do so at your own risk! ("Honey, I really need one of those combo machines like Mark's to make my shop more efficient...")

John Miliunas
01-30-2004, 9:02 PM
WARNING!!! WARNING!!! Do so at your own risk! ("Honey, I really need one of those combo machines like Mark's to make my shop more efficient...")

Aw come on! He's only like 250 miles away! :cool:

Robert Ducharme
01-30-2004, 9:06 PM
Great news: wife thinks I SHOULD buy a bandsaw and a planer. Probably get it after I finish muding and painting the shop - look like spring/summer.

Bob Marino
01-30-2004, 9:23 PM
Great news: wife thinks I SHOULD buy a bandsaw and a planer. Probably get it after I finish muding and painting the shop - look like spring/summer.

Robert,

Great news for sure. Please tell the rest of us, how did you convince her that you "SHOULD" get those tools?????!!!

Bob

Robert Ducharme
01-30-2004, 9:34 PM
She started getting a little tired of not having them after two trips to Broomfield CO (a 1.5 hour drive one way) to get some boards planed. :p

Jim Becker - I noticed that you work for Avaya. I retired from the R&D organization there several years ago. Any of that spare woodpile you have drying available to a "fellow employee"? :D

craig carlson
01-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Hi,

I just read Glenns' comments and the link to Terry Hatfields review of the Grizzly machine. What a great review, Terry should work for Grizzly, if I didn't have so much much money tied up in my Delta 14" machine I'd go for the Grizzly. I have 4 Grizzly machines and not have one ounce of trouble with any of them.

Craig Carlson
Sebastopol, Ca

Jim Becker
01-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Jim Becker - I noticed that you work for Avaya. I retired from the R&D organization there several years ago. Any of that spare woodpile you have drying available to a "fellow employee"?

I'm pretty generous, but the logistics are a tiny issue. Despite the fact that my business number is in Highlands Ranch...I'm in Pensyl-tucky! (May be in Westminster on the 18th and 19th, however...)

Robert Ducharme
01-30-2004, 11:15 PM
How tough can it be to get long boards through airport security in your briefcase?

Terry Hatfield
01-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Hi,

I just read Glenns' comments and the link to Terry Hatfields review of the Grizzly machine. What a great review, Terry should work for Grizzly, if I didn't have so much much money tied up in my Delta 14" machine I'd go for the Grizzly. I have 4 Grizzly machines and not have one ounce of trouble with any of them.

Craig Carlson
Sebastopol, Ca

Craig,

Now, if we could only convince Griz to send a little royalty money my way......... :D ...or at least a free tool or something. :D

Seriously, Thanks and the G0513 is a sweetheart of a saw, especially for a mere $750!!!

Terry