PDA

View Full Version : A little Plumbing help!!

Tyler Howell
09-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Folks,
Rehabbed and replace more bathroom stools than I care to remember but I've never done one from scratch. Can you direct me to specs. on minimum clearances needed for a new install.
Rear and sides and height. I went around measuring every one in the house and they are all different???
Any suggestions:confused:

Jim Becker
09-02-2007, 10:15 AM
You need the spec sheet for the particular hopper you're intending on installing. Most are 12" from the wall, but not all. The position and height of the water supply also needs to be considered. (I'm working on choosing toilets for our addition right now, so I've been reading these spec sheets quite a bit!)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Some how...these two guys....with their minds in the toilet......Yeah it's what I'd expect!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Mike Henderson
09-02-2007, 10:55 PM
You need the spec sheet for the particular hopper you're intending on installing. Most are 12" from the wall, but not all. The position and height of the water supply also needs to be considered. (I'm working on choosing toilets for our addition right now, so I've been reading these spec sheets quite a bit!)
Whatever you do, don't put the pipe closer to the wall than required for a standard toilet. The problem is that one day you, or the next person who owns the house, will want to replace the toilet and will really cuss you if the pipe won't accommodate a standard toilet.

Mike

Lee Hingle
09-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Tyler,
Make sure you have a minimum 18 inches from center of the pipe to tub or cabinets on either side. More is better, but you don't want to have to reach more than about 24" for your toilet paper hanging on the side of the vanity.

Tyler Howell
09-03-2007, 8:57 AM
Thanks Guys Valuable information

Matt Meiser
09-03-2007, 9:40 AM
I just had to do the same thing. I downloaded a spec sheet for the toilet we bought from the manufacturer and it shows all the clearances for locating it.

Von Bickley
09-03-2007, 2:39 PM
Tyler,

I center the toilet flange 12-1/2" from the "Finished" wall. Some people go with just 12 but I always allow an extra 1/2", and that is from the "FINISHED" wall.

I also want a min. of 32" width. Preferably 34".

Lee Schierer
09-07-2007, 3:06 PM
If you are going to hang paper in the room be sure to leave enough clearance behind it to get the paper in and the lid on the tank. Most of the spec sheets show minimum dimensions, but you can leave more room behind it if you want. You will want to prime and paint the wall behind it before installation occurs. :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-07-2007, 6:11 PM
Folks,
Rehabbed and replace more bathroom stools than I care to remember but I've never done one from scratch. Can you direct me to specs. on minimum clearances needed for a new install.
Rear and sides and height. I went around measuring every one in the house and they are all different???
Any suggestions:confused:

I like the back of the tank to stand away fro the wall a couple of inches to prevent mildew from the tank sweat.
LAst time I did the septic line to a crapper I think I placed it 12" to Center I believe.
Side to side is a factory spec cause some are wider than others.

Just measure from the edges and think about position and space.