PDA

View Full Version : Input on Planer choice needed

Robert Ducharme
01-29-2004, 12:07 AM
I am trying to choose between several different planers. The current selections are:

Delta 15" Planer with Deluxe Roller Stand model 22-780X ($1199)
Jet 15" Wood Planer #708529 ($1099)
Powermatic Model 209 - 20" x 8" 5HP Wood Planer ($1799)
Powermatic Model PM15 - 15" Planer/Molder ($1699)
Powermatic 15" Deluxe Planer ($1499)

I realize that some of these are apples and oranges for comparison but I am not certain that getting a molder capability is worth it in a combined system or getting the larger system is not better.

I am looking for information comparing them: their advantages and disadvantages. References to review sites would also be useful.

Thanks for your assistance.

Ernie Kuhn
01-29-2004, 3:15 AM
[QUOTE=Robert Ducharme]I am trying to choose between several different planers. The current selections are:

Robt.,
I've had a Woodmaster 12", 5hp 220v with 0 to about 16 fpm separate 110 motor for roller drive since 1990. It will take up to 6" thick. Wouldn't trade it. Got mine with moulding knive holder, gang saw and sanding drum. 13 years old and no breakdown.
They make a larger version that should more than meet your requirements. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Ernie

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-29-2004, 7:18 AM
For the kind of money you'll pay for any of the 15" planers you listed, you could almost get the Grizzly or ShopFox 20" models. I think the Grizzly is somehwere around $1200-1300. We've beat the Grizzly to death for four years or so...and I'd buy one again in a minute.

KC

Alan Turner
01-29-2004, 7:41 AM
I have the WoodTek 20" cheapie (about 1200 or so) and it has done well for me for abut 3 years now. It is probably from the same factory as the PM 20", with just a better price. Several vendors/labels have these, and the prices are all about the same, it appears.

Dave Avery
01-29-2004, 8:46 AM
[QUOTE=Robert Ducharme]I am trying to choose between several different planers. The current selections are:

Robt.,
I've had a Woodmaster 12", 5hp 220v with 0 to about 16 fpm separate 110 motor for roller drive since 1990. It will take up to 6" thick. Wouldn't trade it. Got mine with moulding knive holder, gang saw and sanding drum. 13 years old and no breakdown.
They make a larger version that should more than meet your requirements. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Ernie

Earnie,

How easy or difficult are knife changes on the Woodmaster? Thanks. Dave.

Mark Singer
01-29-2004, 9:44 AM
I have the 15" Jet and it works great!

Steven Wilson
01-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Or take a look at the FS30 (12") or FS350 (14") combination jointers and planers from Minimax - knife change takes about a minute

Dick Parr
01-29-2004, 11:21 AM
I have the 15" Grizzly and love it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1021Z

Mark Bachler
01-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Or take a look at the FS30 (12") or FS350 (14") combination jointers and planers from Minimax - knife change takes about a minute

I've got a MM FS35 Smart coming tomorrow but I can see a wider planer in my near future.

Chris Padilla
01-29-2004, 11:35 AM
http://www.woodmastertools.com/s/planers.cfm

I'd take a hard look at the Woodmaster...it has some nice versatility a la European combos.

Robert Ducharme
01-29-2004, 9:07 PM
I believe I have eliminated the Jet 15" planer because of a review I read. The specs on the machine are:

15" x 6" capacity
Three high speed knife cutter head with jack screws
Heavy duty steel serrated infeed and outfeed rollers
Two speed gear box, 16 & 20 FPM
Magnetic electrical controls
Rugged 3 V-belt drive
Large side hand wheel raises and lowers cast iron table (not motor and cutter head). Like heavy duty industrial planers, this design produces less vibration
Includes infeed and outfeed extension rollers, 2 table rollers fully adjustable, 4" built-in dust chute, top mounted wood return rollers
Built-in floor stand with lockable wheels
Heavy duty TEFC 3 HP, 230V only
2 year warranty
Weight 480 lbs.
JET JWP-15HO

The review indicated the serrated outfeed rollers resulted in the need to do more sanding to remove the impressions.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-29-2004, 9:20 PM
I believe I have eliminated the Jet 15" planer because of a review I read. The specs on the machine are:

15" x 6" capacity
Three high speed knife cutter head with jack screws
Heavy duty steel serrated infeed and outfeed rollers
Two speed gear box, 16 & 20 FPM
Magnetic electrical controls
Rugged 3 V-belt drive
Large side hand wheel raises and lowers cast iron table (not motor and cutter head). Like heavy duty industrial planers, this design produces less vibration
Includes infeed and outfeed extension rollers, 2 table rollers fully adjustable, 4" built-in dust chute, top mounted wood return rollers
Built-in floor stand with lockable wheels
Heavy duty TEFC 3 HP, 230V only
2 year warranty
Weight 480 lbs.
JET JWP-15HO

The review indicated the serrated outfeed rollers resulted in the need to do more sanding to remove the impressions.

Robert, I have an older model Jet, blue with the open stand. I paid $400 for it from a cabinet shop that beat it to death. It works fine and I'm glad I bought it for the price. However, I do fight with the serrated rollers. The infeed roller is serrated in a spiral pattern and leaves marks in softwood when you take a light pass. If you lighten up on the pressure to stop the marks, the wood wants to turn sideways as it goes into the knives. The outfeed roller has straight fine serrations and they don't mark the wood.

Robert Ducharme
02-06-2004, 8:24 PM
I started a comparison chart between planers at or above 20" and it looks like the attachment below. Some people said the woodmaster is a good system. However, I have been reading various articles and it seems to me that everyone agrees the more cuts per inch, the better. Woodmaster actually seems to have the slowest rotation speed with only 3 blades. Of course, it looks like you could move it through real slow and effectively get a higher cut/inch than the others.

These are now the group I am looking at. In this size area (would be willing to go down to 18"), what is the best or are there others I have ignored?

Norm Koerner
01-06-2009, 10:08 PM
You'd be pleased with all of those you mention. I have the 15" Jet and like it. Someone mentioned marks from serrated metal rollers, but that is no problem if you take off 1/16 per pass. 3/64 or 3/4 turn is okay too. Haven't tried 1/32 but bet that would work, too.

Friends and many others are pleased with Grizzly. The problem I've experienced there is they stopped production on their 6 X 48 edge sander and it's a bear getting parts.

Of course, now that Delta and all the other big names are cast and/or built in Taiwan or China, too many look too much alike.