PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Cork

Stanley Waldrup
09-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Well I have been playing with cutting up some .200 Cork and the best I have been able to do is about .175 through it with 30 watts. I even tried to defocus just a little. What is the secret beside going out and buying 1/8" cork? The best cut I was able to obtain was at 50% power and 1.6 speed with 100 PPI.
Thanks
Stanley

Jeff Belany
09-05-2007, 5:01 PM
I guess I'll ask the obvious -- have you tried more power? Any reason not to try it? The only cork I cut is thin pressure sentitive and my aim is to cut the cork without cutting the backing, like a "kiss cut" Most of the time it works pretty well.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Stanley Waldrup
09-05-2007, 8:38 PM
I tried 100p and 1.6 speed just to see if it would go through it.. Almost but with lots of burning. I think I will be able to do 1/8" with no trouble but the .200 will not cut through. With 30 watts anyway..
Thanks
Stanley

Frank Corker
09-06-2007, 3:40 AM
Stanley I've often found that cork unless in it's natural state is difficult to cut. A lot of the stuff you buy in handy sheet form consists of cork mulch which has been mixed with a bonding resin to hold it all together and it's that stuff that you can't always laser through consistently.