PDA

View Full Version : Major gloat

Chuck Wintle
09-01-2007, 5:31 PM
I was driving to my son's house and noticed a cabinet style "Rockwell Delta" Unisaw for sale at a garage(yard) sale. It was all complete except for the miter gage and he was only asking $125 CDN for it. So I bought it and I have a few pics that I will soon post. The saw is in really good shape, except for some minor surface rust, which will clean up easily. The top is in good shape, minor rust, and according to the seller it runs but have not checked that yet. I think this qualifies as a pretty good deal for a saw. :D

Gerry Musson
09-01-2007, 5:42 PM
You know the rules,No pics- didn't happen.

Chuck Wintle
09-01-2007, 5:48 PM
The pics of the new, to me anyways, saw,
Pic #1 is with the base removed for sandblasting and painting
The top, just in the background, is in good condition with only a few scratches
and light surface rust. Should buff right out.

Pic 2 is the model number and serial.
It's a series 34-450
Serial number 26973

Pic 3 is a close up of the front.

Chuck Wintle
09-01-2007, 5:51 PM
How do I get the pictures so they are sequential and not side by side?

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2007, 5:54 PM
Charles.....You upload the photos...close that window.....then scroll up near the top of your post and there is a "paper clip".....click on it and it will insert the photos at the last point where you were in the message.

It's officially a gloat now in my book!

Nice score!

Michael Schwartz
09-01-2007, 6:02 PM
Theese older deltas are as good as any saw. I would rehab and tune one of these any-day over a new unisaw. You got yourself a steal.

Jim Kountz
09-01-2007, 6:08 PM
Holy cow this is a huge gloat! Should you feel like researching it I would be interested in knowing the age of the saw just for the sake of knowing!

Way 2 go!

Chuck Wintle
09-01-2007, 7:24 PM
I just realized that it is missing the motor cover. I wonder if that will make much of a difference to the operation of the saw. :confused:

Phil Thien
09-01-2007, 7:38 PM
What about the bottom plinth (sp?)?

No motor cover is fine. They didn't typically come with one. You can always make one w/ wood or have one made w/ sheet metal.

Chuck Wintle
09-01-2007, 7:40 PM
I removed the plinth to sandblast and repaint it. There was some interior rust etc so I can do that at my work. :)

scott spencer
09-01-2007, 7:53 PM
I just realized that it is missing the motor cover. I wonder if that will make much of a difference to the operation of the saw. :confused:

The cover shouldn't make much difference but for best performance you might want to reinstall the top :D ;)

Congrats on a great deal!

Michael Weber
09-01-2007, 7:58 PM
Fixing to cool down here in the south cause of the huge suckage pulling all this hot humid air up north. I got a Delta contractor saw for $60 US a few years ago but had to drive 250 miles to pick it up. But a uni for 125 is a major major gloat. Congratulations

Don Bullock
09-01-2007, 8:57 PM
Charles, congratulations on a super find.

Chuck Lenz
09-01-2007, 10:21 PM
I just looked that saw up in OWWM most had the goose egg motor and didn't have a cover, but looking at the motor you have I'm not sure what cover fits your saw. Anyway a missing cover shouldn't interfear with the operation of the saw unless you plan on hooking it up to a dust collector, then you will want a cover I would think.

Bob Feeser
09-02-2007, 12:49 AM
:D
Charles,
Not only do you have a great saw, you also have the satisfaction of a great find. I used to do the body work for a classic T Bird restoration shop, and would send them out to be sandblasted, frame and all. (After liquid stripping all of the flat outside panels, so the blaster would not warp the sheet metal. The blaster did a great job all around the nooks and crannies, including door jambs, trunk, etc, but I pre-stripped, and made sure they left alone the flat panels, on the outside, because it would heat them up, and warp them to the point where you could not really use them anymore.) You mentioned that you can blast it at work. So I imagine you are familiar with the ins and outs of blasting. My blaster was using a CAT driven sand blasting unit, with about a 6" hose. Also do you "pickle" the metal before priming? (Automotive Acid like Dupont Metal Conditioner)
With disassembly, you will need to protect the trunion, rather than remove it, unless you are one of the select few, of which I am not one, who know how to set those up when you reinstall.
Here I am falling in love with your saw, worrying about everything getting done right. :eek: Maybe I should let you play with it. It's your show. What would be cool is to color match it to the original. How were you going to scrub the top? Were you planning on degreasing the trunion before prepping for paint, then regreasing everything new once done? How big is the motor. Better plug it in, and give it a try. I'm curious how old it is, once some of the creekers do some digging on your numbers, or you do that yourself, then we will know that I reckon.
Great saw, way to go. Happy sawing.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-02-2007, 8:15 AM
$125.00~~??
That's a steal. Looks to be in fine shape too.

John Thompson
09-02-2007, 9:39 AM
Morning Charles...

You stumbled at the right place at the right time. Going price of that little fella is approximately $600-$750 depending on condition and if it's a used dealer of individual.

Clean-up and tune appears to be minor from the pics. I would have a look underneath the hood at the trunnions. The way Delta built the trunnions, they can be a bit touchy if the saw got bounced hard in shipment of getting it off the pallet originally. Once on the ground there is no major concern.

A SWAT team should show up at your shop at any point as I am sure someone has called Homeland Security and reported the "theft". :D

Regards...

Sarge..

Chuck Wintle
09-03-2007, 1:16 PM
Had a bit more time today to set up my saw and bolt down the top. The motor is original to the saw and is 1.5 HP. Plugged it in and away it went. I half expected the motor not to run but it runs. One of the triple v-belts is in bad shape and needs changing. The fence has an issue as the threads were the handle are somewhat mangled. I can get that fixed at work in our machine shop.
What is the best way to clean up the table surface. It's not that bad and I was thinking a scouring pad attached to my ROS.
For the motor It will have to run on 110 for now. What would work well as an on/off switch?
I just need a miter gage now for it. :)

What would everyone recommend for a saw blade? The original has seen better days. I was thinking of Freud.

Jim Becker
09-03-2007, 1:17 PM
Charles, replace all three belts as they are best as a matched set.

Chuck Wintle
09-03-2007, 1:23 PM
Charles, replace all three belts as they are best as a matched set.

Jim,
Who would have those belts for sale as a set?