PDA

View Full Version : Mini CV06 Clear Vew Cyclone vs Oneida Dust Deputy

Don Bullock
09-01-2007, 1:48 PM
I realize that this is another one of those one tool compared to another posts. Unfortunately there is nowhere that I can go to see either of these in person, so I'd appreciate your input. Yes I know that a "full blown" dust collection system is needed and necessary, but for now I'm not going there. My wife and I plan to move within the next two years (possibly as soon as one year from now) where I'll be able to have a more dedicated place for a shop. I'm also somewhat short of funds for much more than something like the Mini Clear Vew or Oneida Dust Devil so that all the chips and dust don't end up in my Shop Vac.

Major tools include table saw, 8" jointer, 13" planer, band saw and miter saw. I may also hook up my Bosch sander.

Any input on these two cyclones that could be used with my present Shop Vac would be greatly appreciated including pictures of your mobile set up. If there is something that is better that's less than $400 I'd appreciate hearing about that as well, but my present limit has to be $400 including s/h. In other words I'd like to get the best "collection for my bucks" under that amount. While I know that fine dust is the biggest problem health wise, getting rid of the chips and saw dust are my first priority for now. As I said, I don't plan to be in this shop for much longer and I do plan to make a dust collection my top priority in my next shop.

Thank you for your input. You peiople here are the best.:D

Jim Becker
09-01-2007, 2:04 PM
Neither of these is appropriate for collecting from the jointer and planer...way too much volume, IMHO. You'd be better off buying a basic 1.5hp 12" impeller single stage PC to do your chip collection for now and then move to the full size cyclone system once you get yourself moved.

Chris Rosenberger
09-01-2007, 2:08 PM
Don,
I would opt for a 1 1/2 or 2hp full size dust collector. You should be able to get one of those well within your budget & you will have something that will do a much better job than a shop vac.

Don Bullock
09-01-2007, 2:16 PM
Thanks guys. I was sure that's what you would say. SWMBO always listens to your input on such things.;) Now, any recommendations on a 1 1/2 or 2hp full size dust collector?

Chris Rosenberger
09-01-2007, 2:18 PM
Here is a link to dust collectors at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_/002-2501987-3508026?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dust+collector

Don Bullock
09-01-2007, 2:34 PM
Chris, thanks for the link. I've been looking there for a while. Amazon seems to have a lot of choices.

Lee Hingle
09-01-2007, 4:09 PM
Don,
Penn State has their 2 hp 1500 cfm dust collector (DC2000B) on sale for $369.95. This may put you a tad over $400 with shipping, but you would have plenty of room to upgrade later and keep this collector. It is 220 V, however.

I also agree with Jim, I own an Oneida Dust Deputy and it's really best suited for sanding dust (hooked up to a ROS, for example)
Good luck,
Lee

Tim Quigley
09-01-2007, 5:02 PM
FWIW, I use the mini clearvue with a shopvac on my tablesaw, 12" planer, 6" bench top jointer, etc. It doesn't clear the cabinet on the table saw, but it's better than nothing. On the planer, it seems top do a good job of keeping the cutting area clean. My biggest challenge is remembering to empty the bucket under the cyclone. 5-gallons gills up rather quick when planning 4/4 down to 3/4. I'm hoding up and saving all my dollars till I can afford the cyclone. It's my next major purchase. Till then, this at least keeps the shop a little cleaner than nothing and keeps my shop vac from bogging down.

Tim

Don Bullock
09-01-2007, 8:49 PM
Tim, thanks for that input.

In went to Rockler today and saw the Jet 1 1/2 hp, but they only had the model with the canister on top in stock. I have an email into WoodCraft to see what they have in stock. I'd rather buy locally than have one shipped even with Amazon's free shipping. That Jet is a mighty big piece of equipment.

My local Lowes and Home Depot are rather useless when it comes to DC. The only thing Lowes has is the Delta 1 hp and the big orange box has nothing.

Jim Becker
09-01-2007, 9:05 PM
The canister filter is better than the bags, IMHO...a lot more surface area in the pleats and you can use a solid lower bag for easy disposal of what you collect.

Don Bullock
09-01-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm sure it is, but at $500 it's out of reach right now. I do like the possibility of upgrading to the canister later on.

Don Eddard
09-02-2007, 1:08 AM
A lot of guys have had good results with the Harbor Freight "2 hp" DC, and adding a cartridge filter from Wynn Environmental. I think you can get the whole rig for somewhere around $300. Not a cyclone, but beats the pants off a shop vac.

Don Bullock
09-02-2007, 7:21 AM
Don, thanks for the "heads-up" on the HF. I'm reconsidering the Jet with the canister. SWMBO has given her tentative approval. I think her biggest concern was size, not cost. Since the model without the canisted is the same size, there should be no problem there. Now I have to rething the $$ impact on my already stretched budget. I think I can swing it.

Dave MacArthur
09-02-2007, 2:24 PM
Don,
last week in Lowe's I saw the delta -570 dust collector on sale that won editor's pick in last years mobile dust collector review in FWW?(I think that was the mag). I got mine there on sale for around $130. It is now on clearance, I can't remember the price, but saw the "clearance" tag on it. I think this might be similar to the biesemeyer fence deal, in that there are probably stores with these sitting up on the shelf that they don't know about, which you could find and bargain down.

This is the 1.5 HP one, it comes with a 1 micron felt bag, and beat the others in the article. You can put a canister filter on it if desired, I have the link on the how-to article. I like mine.

Don Bullock
09-02-2007, 4:02 PM
Dave, thanks for reminding me about the recent Fine Woodworking article on dust collection. That will help a lot. If you saw the Delta 50-760 that would be one to consider. Unfortunately my closest Lowes only carries the 1 hp Delta that I've already decided isn't what I need. I'll check just to be sure. Perhaps they have the 50-760 hiding some place. I guess that my local Lowes is a different company than the ones that everyone else goes to. I have yet to see any tools on clearance there.

The FWW article also rated the Jet DC-1100A "Best Overall." I was looking at the Jet DC-1100CK (canister in place of top bag) at Rockler. That may still be what I end up with. I do like the idea of a canister. Like Jim mentioned it does have alot more surface area than a bag. They also filter finer particles than the normal bags.

Right now we're having the same weather you are -- 110+ -- so I decided to wait a while. In this heat I'm not going to be doing much woodworking or running around to stores. In the mean time perhaps the 1100CK will go on sale or the Amazon price will drop and I can also read more about dust collectors. I've never had one.

Jeff Cremers
09-02-2007, 6:59 PM
A lot of guys have had good results with the Harbor Freight "2 hp" DC, and adding a cartridge filter from Wynn Environmental. I think you can get the whole rig for somewhere around $300. Not a cyclone, but beats the pants off a shop vac.

Does anyone have any input on the Grizzly or the Harbor Freight ones.
Work well?
Sound level?

Thanks
Jeff

raul segura
12-14-2008, 7:06 AM
this page is out dated isn't it.

Tom Adger
12-14-2008, 8:20 AM
I disagree with those who say that a shop vac will not handle a jointer and planer. Mine does a good job, but the filter clogs up in a heartbeat. That's why I have a Clear Vue Mini in route to me right now.

Michael Morton
02-01-2009, 6:17 PM
Tom -- I'd love to know how that Clear Vue mini is working out for you, attaching it to your Jointer and Planer. I'm thinking of the same setup as a stop gap until I can get a full cyclone dust collector system into the shop.

Peter Quadarella
02-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I have the ClearVue mini. I used it attached to my lunchbox planer and it really couldn't handle it. It didn't pull all the chips and it would get overloaded causing backup into the shopvac (I have the most powerful Ridgid one). I used it attached to my bandsaw also and it sorta worked, but not great. The Clearvue works great with my circular saws and other non-stationary power tools, and also my drill press on occasion.

When I bought my 8" Jointer I knew I had to upgrade my dust collection but didn't want to spend much. I bought the 2HP Grizzly (G01029Z) and have been very happy with it. It's no work of art but performs well. It's also within $20 of the 1.5HP models.

Mark Carlson
02-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I use a clearvue mini with a Festool CT22, attached to a blade guard on my table saw. I run a 2in hose. This works very well. This also works for standalone routers, domino, akeda jig, and router fence.

For the base of the table saw, under the router table, planer, bandsaw, and jointer I use a 1 1/2 hp Delta 50-760. I don't think the clearvue mini and shop vac type collector would work well with a planer or jointer. Two much chip output.

~mark

Don L Johnson
02-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Don,

Periodically check CraigsList in and around your area. That's where I sold my Jet DC when I upgraded. If you catch something early in its post, you can usually pay around half price of a new one. I would do that until you can save enough coin for a cyclone. Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck.

Tom Adger
02-02-2009, 6:49 PM
For those posters who say the clear vue mini will not work on a jointer or planer, they are wrong. I posted earlier, saying that mine was on the way. I have had it for a few weeks, and it is one of the very few items I have ever purchased that works better than my best expectations. Takes everything from my jointer and planer. Nothing in my shop vac. The nay sayers have one of several possible problems: 1. They have never tried it, just have an opinion. 2. Their shop vac is not powerful enough. 3. You have to be very careful that all hoses are fitted tightly, and there are no leaks around the collection container.

Mark Carlson
02-02-2009, 7:15 PM
Tom,

I'm skeptical but will try it with a 13in planer. I don't doubt that the mini clearvue will separate 99.9% of the dust/chips but I'm expecting it to leave chips behind on the wood as I'm planning. This is what happened with my underpowered 1hp dust collector. This ended up leaving little dents on the wood from the rollers.

I don't think my CT22 is underpowered but its also not a 5hp monster.

~mark

For those posters who say the clear vue mini will not work on a jointer or planer, they are wrong. I posted earlier, saying that mine was on the way. I have had it for a few weeks, and it is one of the very few items I have ever purchased that works better than my best expectations. Takes everything from my jointer and planer. Nothing in my shop vac. The nay sayers have one of several possible problems: 1. They have never tried it, just have an opinion. 2. Their shop vac is not powerful enough. 3. You have to be very careful that all hoses are fitted tightly, and there are no leaks around the collection container.

Mark Carlson
02-02-2009, 9:17 PM
I ran a test with my benchtop planer (delta 13in). I connected the clearvue mini to the planer with a 4 foot length of 2 1/2 in hose. The planer has a 4in port so I used a 2 1/2 to 4in connector. I planned a 6in piece of white oak about 3ft long. The clearvue performance was better than I thouht it would be, but not great. I could see a lot of chips going down the cyclone but it also left chips behind on the board. It was not as good as my Penn State 1hp dust collector, and not even close to the 1 1/2hp Delta 50-760 which clears off all the chips.

~mark

Phil Thien
02-02-2009, 10:20 PM
The differences could be the planers. Some newer planers have built-in blowers which would certainly help.

Roger Jensen
02-03-2009, 12:23 AM
I've been very happy with my Delta 50-760. You can always get it from Amazon if you don't have a local dealer.

I especially liked it because I could replace the dual-4" outlets with a single 5" hose. You can also flip the unit to have the hose run down to the floor or up to the ceiling (although this may be a common feature on these types of units).

I plan to replace the bag this year with a Wynn cartridge filter. They have nice, clear instructions on their web site about fitting the filter on the 50-760.

Good luck,

Roger