PDA

View Full Version : I hope the Festool crowd is right.

Chris Rosenberger
09-01-2007, 1:40 PM
I have been using 2 Bosch 1370 ROSs for over 15 years. I have been thinking about replacing the sanders for quit some time. Mainly because the dust collection was not very good on the Bosch sanders. I just could not bring myself to spend the money for new sanders when the sanders I had did the job. But, as I am getting older, I have started to get alot of numbness in my hands when sanding. It was the numbness in my hands from using orital sanders, that I bought the ROS 15 + years ago. Well yesterday after reading the post from Edward & all of the replies I decided to take the plunge. I ordered 2 Rotex 150s from Woodcraft.
So I hope the dust collection is as good as everyone says & they run as smooth as everyone says.
Thanks for the help.:)

P.S What sandpaper works best? I see on the Festool website that they have several kinds. I did order a box each of 150 & 180 grit that Woodcraft had.

Gary Keedwell
09-01-2007, 1:49 PM
I have been using 2 Bosch 1370 ROSs for over 15 years. I have been thinking about replacing the sanders for quit some time. Mainly because the dust collection was not very good on the Bosch sanders. I just could not bring myself to spend the money for new sanders when the sanders I had did the job. But, as I am getting older, I have started to get alot of numbness in my hands when sanding. It was the numbness in my hands from using orital sanders, that I bought the ROS 15 + years ago. Well yesterday after reading the post from Edward & all of the replies I decided to take the plunge. I ordered 2 Rotex 150s from Woodcraft.
So I hope the dust collection is as good as everyone says & they run as smooth as everyone says.

P.S What sandpaper works best? I see on the Festool website that they have several kinds. I did order a box each of 150 & 180 grit that Woodcraft had.
http://www.free-animations.co.uk/people/blue_colar/images/blue_colar_4.gif Chris...I'm not trying to stir anything up (ha! ha! I've been dying to use that animation) But I hope the Rotex is what your looking for. I bought a 150/3 ROS and it is just right for me. The Rotex seemed a little cumbersome for this aging woodworker.:o Good luck and let us know how you like it.:)
Gary K.

Don Bullock
09-01-2007, 1:51 PM
Congratulations Chris. I'd appreciate hearing what you think about the Festool sanders in relation to the Bosch.

Chris Rosenberger
09-01-2007, 1:54 PM
Thanks Gary. I am used to that type of sander. The Bosch 1370s are barrel grip also.

Joe Jensen
09-01-2007, 3:08 PM
Chris, I have one RO150, and one 150/3. The 150/3 is my favorite sander. It works very much like my old Porter Cable barrel grip 6" ROS. The RO150 is more like a right angle grinder sander. I seems to have a much more agressive action than the 150/3. Now that I have both, I only use the RO150 for the earlier grits, and by 150 grit I've moved to the 150/3. I suggest you at least try a 150/3 or 150/5 before your final decision...joe

Jason White
09-01-2007, 3:46 PM
Good choice on the ROTEX 150. I absolutely love mine!

Why did you get 2 of them? I'd send one back and get the Deltex 93 detail sander for getting into tight corners. My second favorite sander only to the ROTEX. I also have a couple of orbital palm sanders from them and as soon as my Dewalt 5" ROS quits, I'm getting a 5" Festool.

JW

James Phillips
09-01-2007, 4:38 PM

Why 2 identical sanders? I have the Rotex 125 and love it. I never touch any of my other sanders.

Jeff Wright
09-01-2007, 5:30 PM
Your expressed some concern about their ability to pick up dust. I have the 150/3 and C22 vacuum and see no dust. Even when the late afternoon sunlight comes through the west window I see no particles of dust in the streams of sunlight. I think you will be very happy with their dust handling capabilities.

Doug Shepard
09-01-2007, 5:51 PM
Yeah - Why 2? Planning on sanding in stereo?

Chris Rosenberger
09-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Why 2 identical sanders?
That is what I am used to & I do not like swapping grit disks. I now have one 1370 set in agressive mode for rough sanding & the other set for finish sanding. I plan to use the Rotex in the same way. For the type of work I do, that setup seems to work out the best for me.

Charlie Plesums
09-01-2007, 10:46 PM
I would certainly trade at least one of the Rotex sanders for a 150/3. When I bought mine, I was pushed towards the 150/3. Later I borrowed a Rotex for some agressive sanding, and was glad that I had bought the 150/3. The 150/3 is lighter and easier to control, and plenty agressive as a finish sander - the only improvement I would recommend is replacing the pad with the Mirka pad, which supports all different types of paper (including Festool), not just the proprietary Festool paper.

Dan Clark
09-01-2007, 11:03 PM

Chris,

Check the Festool Owners Group forum "Reference Library" for the Abrasives Catalog. Theres a lot of good information about what abrasives to use under what conditions.

Give me a pm if you need a link. (This forum doesn't allow linking to other forums.)

Regards,

Dan.

J.R. Rutter
09-01-2007, 11:40 PM
I'll chime in to say that I like my 150/3 as well. I use it for my business, and routinely sand 50-100 doors / week with it. Great dust collection and many grip options. I have carpal tunnel issues with vibration and still need gloves with the 150/3, but it isn't nearly as bad as other sanders.

You might want to use one of your new sanders with both fine and coarse, and leave the other unopened in case you want to exchange it for the finish sander.

Bob Marino
09-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Chris,

I would agree with Charles. I think you better appreciate the Rotex as well as the ETS 150/5 or 150/3 when you can swap them out. I use the Rotex for grits of 120 and under and switch to the ETS 150/3 from 150 on up, unless I am polishing.
The Rotex can do the finer grits well, but given the choice (for convenience, comfort, noise and general smoooooothness) I use the ETS 150/3. They are a perfect compliment t o each other.

Bob

Jim Becker
09-02-2007, 10:13 AM
What Bob and the others have said...I use my 150/3 for 90% of my finish sanding and only pull out the Rotex when it's particular properties are called for. And I find the Rotex to be difficult to use "one-handed", although I have the older version. Perhaps the newer model is easier in that respect. The 150/3, however, is very comfortable to use "one-handed", both with the handle and with my hand on top like with a palm sander.

Gary Sostrin
09-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Sorry to steal the thread. What makes their paper proprietary?

Any more info on the mirka pad? Is this it. http://www.diyessentials.com/shopWebSite/php/showProducts.php?plu=005.58.202

Thanks

Gary

Jim Becker
09-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Garry, Festool abrasives have a center hole that is important for dust collection...and because they last a long time, they are not really any more "expensive" than other options in my experience. I spend less on abrasives with my Festool sanders than I did with the two PC sanders that proceeded them...and I was buying the PC 5-hole stuff from one of the well-known alternative sources.

Chris Rosenberger
09-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Gary,
It is the hole pattern in the disks.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have found out another cabinetmaker in the area has a 150/3 & a 150/5. I will check those out next week.

Another question. Is the Mirka pattern pad availble for the Rotex?
I have alot Mirka disks I could use up. Of course if I decide to get a150/3 I will have that option.

Byron Trantham
09-02-2007, 10:43 AM
I ended up in the opposite direction. I too had the Bosh sander and i purchased Festool's dust extractor. I mad an adapter for the sander and it works great. In fact, I have to reduce the extractor's speed so it doesn't create such a strong suction that it keeps the sander from rotating!:mad: When I am finished sanding I can run my finger over the surface with no residual dust. I love the combination.

Chris Rosenberger
09-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Chris,

Check the Festool Owners Group forum "Reference Library" for the Abrasives Catalog. Theres a lot of good information about what abrasives to use under what conditions.

Give me a pm if you need a link. (This forum doesn't allow linking to other forums.)

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks Dan,

I found the Festool users group & the info on the sandpaper.
They do have alot of information there.

Jason White
09-02-2007, 4:45 PM
Klingspor makes 9-hole paper for Festool sander and it's supposed to be a bit cheaper. They do not carry it in their retail stores, however (North Carolina). I'm told it's part of the deal they struck with Festool (Klingspor carries Festool machines in their retail stores).

JW

Garry, Festool abrasives have a center hole that is important for dust collection...and because they last a long time, they are not really any more "expensive" than other options in my experience. I spend less on abrasives with my Festool sanders than I did with the two PC sanders that proceeded them...and I was buying the PC 5-hole stuff from one of the well-known alternative sources.

Tom Cowie
09-02-2007, 8:56 PM
I have the Rotex 150 feq and love it but there is a bit of difference compared to other sanders. The Rotex is a very aggressive sander in both modes. I only use Festool sand paper. It lasts a very long time. The cost is more but I don't have to buy sandpaper every couple of months.
I also like the variety that Festool has . Fabulous dust collection.

Tom

Charlie Plesums
09-03-2007, 5:09 PM
Any more info on the mirka pad? Is this it. http://www.diyessentials.com/shopWebSite/php/showProducts.php?plu=005.58.202

Thanks

Gary
Gary, that link looks like the Mirka pad, but it didn't have the Mirka part number, so I don't know.

The Mirka pad does have the center hole, required for good dust collection with the Festool papers. That pad works on the 150/3, 150/5 and the OLD Rotex, but not the new Rotex with snap on pads. I believe it works on any 6" Festool sander where the pad is attached with the bolt.

Klingspor does sell sanding disks with the proprietary Festool hole pattern.

I have had so many questions on my experience with the Festool sanders (which has been very good, but not as 100% great as I expected) that I prepared a web page to explain my experiences, my opinion of the 150/3 vs. Rotex, the Mirka pad, alternate sandpaper sources, etc. see www.plesums.com/wood/tips/festool.html (http://www.plesums.com/wood/tips/festool.html)

Ed Falis
09-03-2007, 6:12 PM
Thanks for putting up that link, Charlie. Definitely food for thought. I have the 150/3, and can see myself using some of your ideas (I'm pretty much happy with it, though).

- Ed

Chris Rosenberger
09-07-2007, 12:38 AM
I recieved one Festool Rotex 150 sander late thursday. I got to work with it about 45 minutes. My first impressions are WOW!!!!. So far I am very impressed with the sander & the Festool sandpaper.

Jason White
09-07-2007, 7:26 AM
Told ya! :D

JW

I recieved one Festool Rotex 150 sander late thursday. I got to work with it about 45 minutes. My first impressions are WOW!!!!. So far I am very impressed with the sander & the Festool sandpaper.

David George
09-07-2007, 9:03 AM
INDASA Abrasives also makes paper with the Festool pattern in a Redline & Whiteline as well as 3M in their Micron.

Question: Does Woodcraft ship Festool freight free?

Also, Festool has deal, Sept. 1st till they run out of them, when buying the RO 125 FEQ or RO 125 FEQ. You get a free Rotex watch. They're celebrating 25 years of the Rotex.

Chris Rosenberger
09-07-2007, 12:27 PM
INDASA Abrasives also makes paper with the Festool pattern in a Redline & Whiteline as well as 3M in their Micron.

Question: Does Woodcraft ship Festool freight free?

Also, Festool has deal, Sept. 1st till they run out of them, when buying the RO 125 FEQ or RO 125 FEQ. You get a free Rotex watch. They're celebrating 25 years of the Rotex.

Woodcraft had free shipping over the Labor Day weekend. That was one of the reasons I went ahead & ordered 2 sanders. They normally charge shipping.
There were many coments here that I may not like Rotex & I also learned about the free watch promotion. First thing Tuesday morning I called Woodcraft to asked about the watch promo. They did not know anything about it & stated that the sanders they were shipping did not include the watch. I ended up canceling the order with Woodcraft & ordered 1 sander & sand paper from Bob Marino. I got free shipping & the watch.

David George
09-07-2007, 3:11 PM
The one thing about the Rotex as it relates to the world of Solid Surface is the grind mode. To be able to take down a seam rather quickly then flip the switch back to sand mode is a major plus in that industry. Alleviates using 2 differant tools.

From a woodworkers staindpoint, how fast do you think the Rotex is, in grind mode for your perticular applications?

Chris Rosenberger
09-07-2007, 4:02 PM
Thanks to everyone that gave me advise. I did try out the Festool 150/5 & 150/3 sanders. They are nice sanders. I just did not believe I would be happy with them.

I got the Festool Rotex yesterday & got to work with it about 45 minutes & thought it was great. The Rotex has a more solid feel to it, is quieter & smoother running than the Bosch 1370 that I had been using.
I came back to the shop this morning to do a comparison of the 2 sanders. Yesterday I just sanded with the Festool. Today I sanded with both sanders. I would sand a few minutes with the Bosch & then with the Festool. I did that several times during the day. I also used the same brand sandpaper on both sanders, even though the dust holes did not line up on one or the other. I would sand with Mirka paper on both sanders & then change to Festool paper on both sanders.
After all of that, my first impressions are the same. The Rotex 150 sands faster, runs smoother & is quieter than the Bosch 1370.
The dust collection on the Rotex is also better than the Bosch.
The only issues I have had with the sander are the cord would not stay attached to the sander. After I had a talk with Bob, I was able to get the cord to lock in place correctly.
The other issue was when sanding out the cross marks from the drum sander on face frame rails the sander wanted to jump around in rotary mode.
After a little practice I was able to overcome that.

I also believe that the Festool Rubin sandpaper is better than the Mirka Gold paper I have been using.

Chris Rosenberger
09-07-2007, 4:16 PM
The one thing about the Rotex as it relates to the world of Solid Surface is the grind mode. To be able to take down a seam rather quickly then flip the switch back to sand mode is a major plus in that industry. Alleviates using 2 differant tools.

From a woodworkers staindpoint, how fast do you think the Rotex is, in grind mode for your perticular applications?

I believe it is comparable to a portable belt sander. One of the last pieces I sanded today with the Rotex was a very rough piece of oak. It was the end of a planed board that had some large chatter marks on it. I started out with 40 grit paper. It did not take very long to have the chatter marks sanded out smooth. I then went to 80 grit, then 150 & then 180 grit. The piece was 8" wide & 18" long. It took less than 5 minutes to take it from rough to ready for stain.

David George
09-07-2007, 5:01 PM
Now that's fast! Problem with a belt sander on a SS seam (even though it's done) is that there is a good chance of creating a dip in the SS if an experienced fabricator is not doing it.

Gary Keedwell
09-07-2007, 5:06 PM
I believe it is comparable to a portable belt sander. One of the last pieces I sanded today with the Rotex was a very rough piece of oak. It was the end of a planed board that had some large chatter marks on it. I started out with 40 grit paper. It did not take very long to have the chatter marks sanded out smooth. I then went to 80 grit, then 150 & then 180 grit. The piece was 8" wide & 18" long. It took less than 5 minutes to take it from rough to ready for stain.
You like the Fe$tool Rolex? I thought about it but opted for thr 150/3. It is on the slow side but very smooth. Was going to order them both but said to myself "Maybe for Christmas":eek: ;)
Gary K.

Chris Rosenberger
09-07-2007, 5:52 PM
Now that's fast! Problem with a belt sander on a SS seam (even though it's done) is that there is a good chance of creating a dip in the SS if an experienced fabricator is not doing it.

I have not tried the Rotex on solid surface yet. I have a Kitchen coming up with SS tops. I will get to try it out then. It looks like Festool has a nice selection of sandpaper for SS.
I was taught that the secret to controlling dips with a belt sander was to keep the sander moving & the lower the grit the faster you kept it moving.

Gary,
The watch is very nice. It has a real leather band & is inscribed on the back.

David George
09-07-2007, 6:16 PM
I see most fabricators using 100-120g on a belt sander but the Rotex in grind mode takes it down fast without a chance of those dips.

Jim Becker
09-07-2007, 8:49 PM
I agree that the Rotex or the Metabo are the right tools for the solid surface (and soapstone...) business for seaming...