PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas about the value of these?

John Anderson
09-01-2007, 1:23 PM
I am building a display case for what is said to be a compleat set of wooden hand planes (24) that are approximately 200 years old. They were given to my customer's father in the mid 50's by an elderly gentlemen in the Blue Ridge mountains who said they were his Grandfather's. They are going on loan to a local museum.

Does anyone have an estimate as to the value of these?

Kevin French
09-01-2007, 3:04 PM
Monetary or Value to your future WW'n efforts?

John Anderson
09-01-2007, 3:32 PM
Monetary, think I'll stick to my routers for the work.

Larry Williams
09-01-2007, 10:31 PM
It's hard to tell exactly what's there. I doubt they were all used by the same craftsman. There are cooper's tools, sash tools and I can't tell what else other than the rabbet planes.

There are some early planes there, definitely a few 18th Century style planes. There also appear to be some craftsman made planes.

The value of wooden planes is pretty variable but it is based on condition, the maker, and a number of other factors. I'm no appraiser but you'd need to photograph each plane individually, record makers' marks, and figure out how they came to be a group.

Before starting to photograph them, you might want to put all the wedges in right. Some of them are backwards. Clarence Blanchard of the Fine Tool Journal could help give a reasonably accurate value but you should be prepared to pay for the appraisal. He's a good guy but he makes his living at this stuff and he's very busy.

Jim Nardi
09-01-2007, 11:18 PM
I think if you posted pics of the markings if any on each plane you'd be a better response. If they are American and a collectable they could be worth a few grand.

harry strasil
09-02-2007, 8:36 AM
They indeed could all be one craftsmans tools, as in the early days in small towns some craftsmen diversified into other fields as a matter of necessity to the community as there was no one else to do the work.

A good example is the local blacksmith, he often was the town's Smith, Farrier, Wainwright, Wheelwright, Carpenter, Cabinet Maker, Coffin Maker, Coach or Buggy maker, Undertaker and sometimes Dentist. When Automobiles came along he often was the local Mechanic, for who knew more about mechanical things.

I am sure other tradesmen did the same thing if they were capable.

Many of the old trades are no more, being consilidated into other trades, such as Red Mason and White Mason, Wet Cooper and Dry Cooper, Timber Framer or Joiner and Carpenter.

Just think of a Woodworker and the related trades of old, Rough Carpenter, Framer, Carpenter, Finish Carpenter, Joiner, Bridge Carpenter, Cabinet Maker, Shingle Maker, Handle Maker, Cooper, Coffin Maker, Sawyer, Bodger, Turner etc.