PDA

View Full Version : Beauty's new Clothes

Christopher K. Hartley
09-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Well her new clothing arrived yesterday and at 6:00 AM this morning with a few breaks I finally got her dressed.:D I kinda slowed Brent down on this on by not sending the correct measurements the first time and then being on vacation before I could get home to re-measure. It's her Bowl Rest and Outboard Turning Rig. Now the only thing left is her Hollowing Rig which should be delivered this month. She isn't naked any more. I thought she was big before but it seems like she has doubled in size, (still a baby beside Brian's Oliver 20C.:)

Brian Weick
09-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Chris,
That is so cool! I tried to watch the video on your lathe-but I keep receiving a server error. That is some piece of machinery! I like the tool rest - forgive me for sounding touched in the head but if the rest is on the tail stock end , does that headstock end move up to work on the material? and that steady rest$$$ that must have set you back a bit.
One more thing,
that vacuum I saw in your picture- how is that working out for you as far as picking up the shavings and wood dust- I want to do that with my lathe- any pointers I would sure appreciate it Chris- Way to go on the new clothes buddy- awesome!
Happy turning:)
Brian

Patrick Taylor
09-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Well her new clothing arrived yesterday and at 6:00 AM this morning with a few breaks I finally got her dressed.:D I kinda slowed Brent down on this on by not sending the correct measurements the first time and then being on vacation before I could get home to re-measure. It's her Bowl Rest and Outboard Turning Rig. Now the only thing left is her Hollowing Rig which should be delivered this month. She isn't naked any more. I thought she was big before but it seems like she has doubled in size, (still a baby beside Brian's Oliver 20C.:)

Simply awesome! I'm green with envy. :D

Christopher K. Hartley
09-01-2007, 1:45 PM
Chris,
... if the rest is on the tail stock end , does that headstock end move up to work on the material? ...
One more thing,
that vacuum I saw in your picture- how is that working out for you as far as picking up the shavings and wood dust-
Brian, first the headstock slides the full length of the lathe. It is very secure with double lock-downs. For outboard just slide it to the end, put on a larger than life blank and we're set to go. My dust collector works great. It is home made from some pipe and flat stock with a drain receptacle from Lowe's. It has a cast iron patio umbrella stand that supports it very well. It is all hooked to a 2HP HF dust collector. I don't use it for chip pickup as it really isn't wide enough for that. I am planning on some shower curtain type things to reduce the scatter when turning.:)

Brian Weick
09-01-2007, 2:32 PM
Brian, first the headstock slides the full length of the lathe. It is very secure with double lock-downs. For outboard just slide it to the end, put on a larger than life blank and we're set to go. My dust collector works great. It is home made from some pipe and flat stock with a drain receptacle from Lowe's. It has a cast iron patio umbrella stand that supports it very well. It is all hooked to a 2HP HF dust collector. I don't use it for chip pickup as it really isn't wide enough for that. I am planning on some shower curtain type things to reduce the scatter when turning.:)

Dust collector for the lathe: does it pick up the fine dust when your turning? I really want to figure out how I can alleviate some of the dust from turnings and I have been thinking of a shroud of some sort - just don't know how I am going to do it exactly- But before I did that I wanted to know how yours is working?
Thanks Chris
Happy Turning:)
Brian

Christopher K. Hartley
09-01-2007, 4:33 PM
Dust collector for the lathe: does it pick up the fine dust when your turning? I really want to figure out how I can alleviate some of the dust from turnings and I have been thinking of a shroud of some sort - just don't know how I am going to do it exactly- But before I did that I wanted to know how yours is working?
Thanks Chris
Happy Turning:)
BrianIt does wonders with the fine dust especially when sanding. The hood is only necessary if you want to catch chips.:)

Brett Baldwin
09-01-2007, 5:05 PM
Are you sure that thing isn't catching the chips too Chris? I sure don't see any telltale signs of wood flying in those pictures.;)

That's quite the setup you've got going. I'm curious as to how much flex you notice in the outboard rig. It looks well gusseted but the length of those fulcrums have to give it some serious torque to resist.

The color coordinated assembly made me think; If those other machines are the condiment choices, is yours the well done burger?:p

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2007, 7:04 PM
Very cool and totally awesome "clothing" Chris!!!!! I really like how "beauty" turned out. What an awesome looking machine. :cool:

Pete Jordan
09-01-2007, 7:19 PM
Everything is so color coordinated!

I am envious!

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2007, 7:27 PM
Yep looks mighty fine color coordinated and all Chris. But whats with no chips and such a clean area?????:eek::rolleyes::cool:;)

Ernie Nyvall
09-01-2007, 9:06 PM
That's a great looking setup Chris.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-01-2007, 9:22 PM
Are you sure that thing isn't catching the chips too Chris? I sure don't see any telltale signs of wood flying in those pictures.;)

That's quite the setup you've got going. I'm curious as to how much flex you notice in the outboard rig. It looks well gusseted but the length of those fulcrums have to give it some serious torque to resist.

The color coordinated assembly made me think; If those other machines are the condiment choices, is yours the well done burger?:p

Yep looks mighty fine color coordinated and all Chris. But whats with no chips and such a clean area?????:eek::rolleyes::cool:;)Darn, and I spent all that time cleaning up just to show her off in her Sunday Best and all you want is grease under her fingernails.:rolleyes: Hey, she is no more color coordinated than all those Mustards you guys keep tossing out there.:( :D Brett, I haven't had the chance to put her to the test as yet but with that tool test holder being solid steel (and it is a heavy one) all the energy transmits right to the floor. Very little if any torque to deal with.

Thanks for the comments everyone.:)

Steve Schlumpf
09-01-2007, 9:55 PM
Simply amazing! I am happy for you Chris! Hope you get some time soon to start doing some serious turning! Looking forward to your posts!

Don Eddard
09-02-2007, 7:22 AM
Caviar, maybe?

Great setup. I love the looks of the Robust.

Jim Podsedly
09-02-2007, 8:23 AM
That is one sweet outfit! :D

Jim Becker
09-02-2007, 9:38 AM
Beauty is looking good all decked out like that!!

The auxiliary tool rest system really looks nice, too, and will really be nice when you're working on hollowing larger bowls given the added comfort of moving the headstock down the ways so you can stand with good balanced posture during the process.

Shane Whitlock
09-02-2007, 9:58 PM
Damn that is one sweet lathe ya got there Chris .. I am soooo jealous. Great design on the bowl steady and the outboard post looks real nice.

Chuck Beland
09-03-2007, 6:34 AM
Chris,
I am so jealous. Good thing you can't see my mouth watering looking at that massive machine.

Chuck