PDA

View Full Version : Small Box for Mom

glenn bradley
09-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I wanted to do a handwork box for Mom's b-day. Sized to fit her location and contents. I'd have preferred a lower profile but . . . I wanted something not too perfect so that it spoke to handwork. Kind of a refined/rough look.

My HF pull saw and blue chips got a workout (gotta get a real saw).
Scrapers too. Bottom is BB ply, thick for weight and floating to allow movement.
Peg shaping was done with a plane clamped upside down in the front vise with a stop block as shown here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=63210).

Cherry with a very thin waxed amber shellac. Walnut top and pegs are BLO'd and waxed along with the rest of the box.
70970 70971

Bill Huber
09-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Nice clean little box.
I like the hand crafted look and feel if it. Is the top hinged or just set on the box.

glenn bradley
09-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Nice clean little box.
I like the hand crafted look and feel if it. Is the top hinged or just set on the box.

Thanks Bill. Lift top (I should have mentioned that) to allow it to be romoved without her having to slide the box out of the little cubby it's sized for.

Gary Keedwell
09-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Glenn...I like it. It has a sort of Greene & Greeney---Artsy-craftsy kind of look. Is it your design?
Gary K.

Don Pierson
09-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I like the simplicity and clean design, wood and finish. My work always has the mark of hand made but because of my woodworking skill level. I made my first practice 3/8" square holes this morning. A few more practice holes and them some 3/8" ebony pegs before I continue the current project.

glenn bradley
09-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks Gary. I guess you could call it my design purely from the size and lid. The emphasized joinery look was "borrowed" from a G&G end table I had seen while browsing around. I had plenty of time to fool around with it so I just kind of made it up as I went along while having a general G&G 'clunky' joint idea in my head. I got a decent ebony look (G&G again) from the walnut pegs by burnishing the crowns and then using a q-tip to blob them with BLO prior to assembly.

glenn bradley
09-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I like the simplicity and clean design, wood and finish. My work always has the mark of hand made but because of my woodworking skill level. I made my first practice 3/8" square holes this morning. A few more practice holes and them some 3/8" ebony pegs before I continue the current project.

One of my favorite things about this hobby at my stage is that everything is practice. For example; I learned on complex elevations like these joints I should have done more finishing than I did prior to assembly. Next capped pegs I do may follow a FWW example; round holes, round dowels, then a shallow square recess for a short capped peg.

Doing, learning, doing, oops . . . learning, doing, oops . . learning, learning.

Raymond Fries
09-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I really like to joinery.

Don Pierson
09-01-2007, 1:36 PM
Practice and if you are not happy with the results then try a different approach. I did some of the FWW round pegs square tops and wasn't happy...probably a result of my tools and my skils. My preference leans strongly to hand tools so hand planes and mortise and paring chisels are my present approach...square pegs seem easier. Fifty may not be old for a tree but at 72 I feel I may be running short on practice time.LOL

Jim C Bradley
09-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Hi Glenn,

What's the matter? Can't you sleep?

Enjoy,

Dad

Alan Tolchinsky
09-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi Glenn, Neat box! I like the contrasting woods and your joinery method. Your MOm will love it. Alan