PDA

View Full Version : Old Mag

Duane M Swensen
01-28-2004, 8:10 PM
Thought some of you might enjoy this old Mag found in a local basement. Check out the price on the cover. It is the March-April issue of 1947.It is very interesting looking at the ads and seeing the companys that have survived and those that didn't. Check out the phone on the table. Very interestng reading.

Jim Becker
01-28-2004, 9:02 PM
I doubt you'll see a current mag with a fellow in a suit on the cover! That phone table is interesting...I believe my sister-in-law (LOML's youngest sister) has a similar one in her home.

Thanks for sharing this...it truely is interesting material!

Carl Eyman
01-28-2004, 10:38 PM
When you look back to almost any period and look at the contemporary furniture of the time - read telephone table in this case - it looks outdated, obsolete, etc. This goes for the modernistic of the 1930's or anything else that was popular in the 20'th century, I guess. Yet the Craftsman style of Greene & Greene, Shaker, Chippendale, Queen Anne, Sheridan, or Colonial, it still has appeal, people still make it. What about some of you designer types telling us what makes one desigh endure and another not. Inquiring minds wat to know!

Steve Inniss
01-29-2004, 4:35 PM
Duane,

That is too funny - smokes in the vice of a workbench serving tray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting.

Bob Lasley
01-29-2004, 4:53 PM
Duane,

Boy does that bring back memories. My dad subscribed to that magazine for years and had a whole cabinet full of them. I built several projects from plans in that magazine when I was a kid.

Bob

Chris Padilla
01-29-2004, 5:40 PM
That's some TALL base molding there! :) My grandmother (in Portage, PA) has such a telephone seat although hers is probably from the 60s.

Cool to see old stuff!