PDA

View Full Version : "Campfire" vase

John Huber
09-01-2007, 11:20 AM
This 9" tall vase is supposed to represent a campfire. It is a ten-stave construction, as described in Malcolm Tibbetts The Art of Segmented Woodturning on top of a segmented ring. Each stave is a laminate of bloodwood, canarywood, and maple. From the bottom, the woods are walnut to represent the logs, bloodwood to represent flaming embers, canarywood to represent flames, and ebonized walnut to represent wafts of smoke against the night sky.

By setting the turning slope steeper than the stave slope, the shapes of the layers form peaks intended to represent licking flames. The shape is rather plain to let the wood "speak." It is somewhat like the art pottery of the early 1900s.

The finish is two coats of Watco Wipe-On Poly to seal the water-based dye used to ebonize the maple. Over this is four coats of General Finishes water-based acrylic, because I found that it brings out the red streaks in the canarywood better.

This is my third turning project. So I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-01-2007, 11:48 AM
John, first, Beautiful piece! I admire your creativity and the illustration that the vessel demonstrates. I am not a segmented turner as yet so I will leave that to the experts. I did notice a slight bit of tear-out in the walnut base that just a bit more attention would correct very nicely. I think, for me anyway, you may have been able to cut your canary-wood in such a way as to capitalize on the darker grain lines going more vertical. the segment on the far right seems to demonstrate what I mean. In this way the flames may appear to have a bit more realism. Please understand this is only my thoughts from a first impression and is not a criticism in any way. I love the work and think you have done a phenomenal job. Thanks for sharing this.:)

George Guadiane
09-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Nice concept, nice work!

Brett Baldwin
09-01-2007, 5:13 PM
I like the concept John. I think shape would enhance effect of the colors but I recognize the minimalist approach as well. I think you have an idea that can be explored in many different ways and I hope you'll try some variations.

Steve Schlumpf
09-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Interesting concept John! I think you did a real fine job on all the joinery and finish! I agree with Brett in hopes that you'll try some variations on this. Nice work - hope to see some more soon!

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2007, 1:40 PM
John great looking piece. Very interesting concept. Well done.