PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the Rikon?

Phillip H Smith
09-01-2007, 7:47 AM
In response to an inquiry on "What lathe to buy," the comment was made that there had been some unflattering things said about the Rikon lathe. I did a quick search of the forum and could find anything specific.

Can anyone comment on problems/flaws with the Rikon?

I have a Rikon 70-100, which I've used for several months, and it has worked almost flawlessly. The only problem encountered was my tool rest clamping pressure was a bit too low right out of the box. I found this out, a couple of months into my "turning adventures," when I tried to make a small walnut bowl out of kiln dried stock. As I began to turn the bowl concavity, the tool rest vibrated loose. The solution was a quick quarter turn (or so) on the clamp nut...and the problem went away. Prior to that problem, I'd made a couple of bowls from cherry that were up to 11" in diameter. I guess the walnut, being much denser, brought the clamping problem to light.

Sure, the Rikon is not VS...but I've found that it only takes a few seconds to change belt speeds. In my "current state of learning," I usually rough a piece at slow speed, then change the belt to about position #4 and finish turning and use the same speed for finishing. I also use a Don Pencil buffing system (at slow speeds).

Except for the above noted problem, my Rikon 70-100 (12" swing, 16" centers) has handled everything I've thrown at it. I bought initially on the advice of a friend in my woodworking club, who uses one with two bed extensions. He told me that when checking with other manufacturers, all but Rikon advised against using more than one extension. So with his offer to loan me an extension whenever I might need it (haven't yet) and a good sale from Woodcraft, I went ahead with the 70-100 and haven't look back yet. (Oh, sure, I do lust after a Oneway or Robust....but like Jimmy Carter, only in my heart, since I wouldn't want to lug one of them down into my rather small basement shop.)

Anyway....what problems have been encountered with the Rikon?

Benjamin Dahl
09-01-2007, 9:32 AM
Phil, I have not had any problems with my Rikon and would recommend it to anyone looking for a way to get into turning. I think I remember hearing about some earlier production problems but have not heard of any recent problems.
Ben

Greg Savage
09-01-2007, 9:36 AM
...... As I began to turn the bowl concavity........

I never heard it phrased quite like that!!!!

I'm just bustin' on ya!!!!!!!

Nancy Laird
09-01-2007, 9:36 AM
Phillip, that was my comment. I belong to four woodworking and two pen-turning forums, and I couldn't point you to the unflattering comments about the Rikon. All I can recall is that I have read posts--maybe not here but elsewhere--from unsatisfied Rikon owners.

Nancy (111 days)

Jason Slutsky
09-01-2007, 9:58 AM
I love my Rikon Mini which I got in Dec 06. Never had any trouble with it. When comparing to an older style Jet mini, I'm glad I got the Rikon. I'm not trying to imply that the Jet isn't good because they're both very well made machines IMHO. Sure, I may go "mustard" some day...maybe even "mayo"...but for now, I love my "relish".

Steve Ott
09-01-2007, 6:30 PM
When I went looking for a mini, I settled on the Rikon. It seemed to be what I was looking for. However, after about 1 month, the spindle lock started to pop out. I could turn it by hand and the lock would come out. And this lock setup was what I really liked about this machine. Anyway, I ended up taking it back and getting the Jet 12-20.

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2007, 7:39 PM
I have the Rikon and love it. My spindle lock kept popping out to but I took the headstock off took out the allen screw that held the lock gear put some locktite on it and it hasn't given a problem since. Very simple fix for a good little lathe.

Bart Leetch
09-01-2007, 8:43 PM
I have the Rikon and love it. My spindle lock kept popping out to but I took the headstock off took out the allen screw that held the lock gear put some locktite on it and it hasn't given a problem since. Very simple fix for a good little lathe.

This reminds me of the complaints about some of the Craftsman table-saw fences not staying square to the miter slots & blade. I used loctite on the 4 bolts that fasten the fence to the guide shoe that fits over the rail & never had a problem with it. In fact it has been transfered from my 1997 saw to my Dad's 1950's saw & was still working fine until recently & isn't now only because it is in storage.
It amounts to being able to evaluate the problem & figure out the fix. Many times the fix is real simple & other times is isn't.

Bill Blasic
09-02-2007, 5:48 AM
Well I'm glad that a few of you have had good experiences with Rikon because I have not. I have 2 of these boat anchors in my shop. I bought one of the first ones available. The bearings were so bad that the spindle turned about 25 rpms for 4 or 5 minutes until it heated up and then the bearings would get so hot you could not touch the head in a matter of minutes. Rikon shipped out a new head and I replaced it, same problem. You would think that they would have tried it before sending out! Shipped lathe and extra head back and they sent another telling me they cut the other heads up and are now putting better bearings in. Same problem with second lathe, third head! I call again and they have no excuse, they tell me that I'm to keep that one and they will send another for all my work etc. Six months later I'm told I'll be getting a lathe and it will be checked over to the nth degree to make sure it is right. The lathe comes and it sounds like a washing machine, I call and say hey, you said this was to be checked out and all was supposed to be great. I had them listen over the phone and while I'm doing that I push on the shaft in the head and it goes back and forth, they forgot the keeper on the left side of the head and the shaft is sliding back and forth in the bearings. And oh by the way he says we want the other lathe back. I then told him that oh by the way I paid for a lathe 13 months ago that I can no longer take back so refund my money and I'll send them both back. I have been waiting for the better part of a year now and have not heard a word. And before you think it is just me call the owner of the Woodcraft store in Cleveland and ask why he no longer will put a Rikon product in his store. I've got a Delta midi that I can run for 10 hours and the bearings do not even get warm but the Rikon down there that does run gets so hot that you can't rest your hand on the head in a matter of minutes.

Gordon Seto
09-02-2007, 7:40 AM
No doubt, service through Woodcraft is 1st class. The customer service from Rikon doesn't sound like too encouraging.

Russ Fairfield posted in another forum (10/26/2006):
"For what its worth, and this is an environment that is quite different from the home work shop.
I have been using 6 mini-lathes for teaching woodturning classes for the last year. 3 of them are Ricon, and 3 of them are Jet. The 3 Ricon are falling apart, and the Jet are not."

I don't own any Rikon lathe. I would give Jet 1220 a serious look; if it is based on the design of their well tested 1014. BTW, I don't like the Jet 1236. I traded it up for a Jet mini VS which I am extremely satisfied with.

It seems that Rikon didn't have a good quality control. Just like the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. You either get an almost as good as Baldor at bargain price or a "you get what you pay for" bouncing grinder.

Gordon