PDA

View Full Version : Passing the Event Horizon

Fred Conte
08-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Hello to all,

I have been an amateur woodworker for many years but never did any turning other than being an armchair turner watching the various TV shows. Though I have read about it I wasn’t sure I wanted to get sucked into the “vortex” but after reading the new Wood magazine issue on getting started I searched the web and found you great folks!

I must say that it was the incredible enthusiasm, advice and helpfulness that this group demonstrated towards newbie’s such as myself that made the difference in my decision to dive in…it was contagious to say the least.:)

So I ordered the Rikon mini with the extension (I still like making furniture) for it’s features but because of the excellent customer service that I read on SMC. Additionally, I ordered the Wolverine jig and accessories, chisel set and the Barracuda 2, everything will arrive next week (forgot it was a holiday weekend:( )

My goal is to learn to turn bowls but after reading the many posts here and seeing the incredible craftsmanship that you folks demonstrated I want to learn even more. I didn’t realize all the different areas of turnings one could pursue and experiment with.:eek: :cool: My only fear is that my table saw, planer, jointer etc. don’t become shaving collectors!:D :D

One question: I have tried several times to download the Rikon manual but it always has errors and is incomplete, does anyone know where I could download a complete manual?

Thanks for your kind support and this awesome site to a new “vortexian”

Fred

Dennis Peacock
08-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Welcome to SMC Fred.!!!! Also wade on it to the "vortex" of the spinny world. :D

Before you know it, you'll be buying all kinds of gadgets, gizmos, and accessories to really outfit what you already have. Sure hope your pockets don't have holes in them. :rolleyes: :D

Fred Conte
08-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome Dennis!

I'll be sewing my pockets this weekend so I could save my pennies for more goodies such as books and dvds.:D

Fred

Ron Raymond
08-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi and welcome, Fred. I have the Rikon, but I don't think I've looked at the manual since I opened the box and put it together. (Don't worry...it's easier to assemble than 99% of the toys Santa has to put together late on Christmas Eve!) The manual tells you plenty about the machine, but it really doesn't tell you anything about woodturning.

I suggest you hit your local library. You can get hold of some books and see which books and authors you like. Then buy your own copy for permanent reference.

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Welcome Fred to SMC. I also have the Rikon and it will have a manual in the box and is easy to assemble. I don't think I even opened the manual. You are going to like it.

Steve Kubien
08-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the vortex Fred. If you are like most (including myself) then yes, your 'flat' tools will start to get lonely. The good thing is that they make great places to store pieces, tools, finishing supplies, coffee mugs, small creatures (don't worry, you'll never notice them under the shavings).

Have fun!
Steve Kubien

Brett Baldwin
08-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Welcome Fred. Don't worry about the shavings on your previous tools, all the turning related accessories that you are storing on top of them will be moved often enough to transfer the shavings to the floor where they will join the already huge pile. Be sure to put a really good coat of protectant on any cast iron surfaces you used to use.:p

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2007, 1:06 AM
Welcome to the Creek Fred! You are wasting your time and valuable thread sewing those pockets shut! The vortex pulls so hard that if you hold a dollar in your hand and don't turn loose....it'll pull the color off the bill and you won't be able to spend it anyway........So you might as well let go!..........BTW.....if you don't have a credit card...now's the time to get one...:eek: :rolleyes: :D

PS...don't worry about your other tools....they make nice places to store you turning blanks, finishing supplies etc......

Patrick Taylor
09-01-2007, 1:16 AM
Welcome! Lots of great advice and encouragement here.

Pat Doble
09-01-2007, 2:17 AM
Welcome aboard Fred. Another happy Rikon owner here (at least until I upgrade....:) :) to Mustard or Mayo Lite). Can't wait to see your first piece.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-01-2007, 7:49 AM
Fred, Welcome to the Dark Side! It's good to have another Creeker going headlong into the Abyss. Sounds like you have a great start at things. While your other equipment may get covered with curlies; I'm sure that your flat work experience won't let you miss the segmented side of things. If you will PM me the download site I'll try the download as well. If it works for me I could email it to you if you like.:)

Jonathan Harvey
09-01-2007, 9:06 AM
Welcome to SMC. I'm new here as well but just wanted to let you know that you are in good hands with these guys. They are a very helpful and understanding group of guys and girls and are always willing to help out. Enjoy the new machine

GLENN THOMAS
09-01-2007, 10:44 AM
It all starts with a lathe (Cha Ching):D and gets worse from there. Next you will be buying good tools (Cha Ching):o and then realise you need something to sharpen them with, so its off to get a bench grinder (Cha Ching):o if you dont already have one. After that you will decide you need some jigs to help you sharpen your tools so you will either go out and by what you need (Cha Ching):rolleyes: or make your own. As you start trying to make bowls you will decide you might need a chuck and so you get one them too (Cha Ching). After the chuck your gonna want various sets of jaws (Cha Ching) and so you go deeper into the vortex. Soon you will discover green wood and how much easier it is to turn and now you start looking for freshly cut wood which leads to a chain saw (Cha Ching) and the necessary acessories to go with it (Cha Ching), every thing from a case to oil, gas, and files. As the vortex pulls you in deeper and deeper you might realize that some things are not as easy as others make them appear. Now your off to the library to check out some books and before you know it the books are late and now theres a late fee (Cha Ching):( . Now its off to Woodcraft to buy books you can keep (Cha Ching) and you see there selection of videos (Cha Ching). One day ,but not necessarily in this order, you decide to make pens so off to spend more money. You need pen blanks, a pen mandrel, pen kits, a press, various drill bits and probibly a few things I cant remember (Cha Ching Cha Ching). As you shop around for all this stuff sooner or later you'll see a Powermatic or some other monster on display and so you try to figure out how to get one. Next thing you know your working two jobs, the wife and kids left and your eating a can of beanie weenies you heated up on the motor of your lathe. Welcome to the vortex. I dont know but it looks as though the vortex ultimately ends in Davy Jones locker.:eek:

GT

Steve Schlumpf
09-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Welcome to the Creek Fred! Looks like you have lots of good advice already and the only thing I can add to your equipment list is a good digital camera as we like lots of photos of your work when you post!

Jim Underwood
09-01-2007, 6:05 PM
If it's in PDF format, and you can't get the PDF to load, I'd bet a nickel that you a) don't have Acrobat installed and if you do b) it needs to be updated.

Update it and try again.

It's here correct?

http://www.rikontools.com/images/Manuals/70100.pdf

I downloaded it and can see it fine....

Hope this helps.

Oh... and welcome to the wild wild world of Sawmill Creek, and woodturning...

Fred Conte
09-01-2007, 6:21 PM
If it's in PDF format, and you can't get the PDF to load, I'd bet a nickel that you a) don't have Acrobat installed and if you do b) it needs to be updated.

Update it and try again.

It's here correct?

http://www.rikontools.com/images/Manuals/70100.pdf

I downloaded it and can see it fine....

Hope this helps.

Oh... and welcome to the wild wild world of Sawmill Creek, and woodturning...

Hi Jim -
I can download it but it is always missing the same photos and pages. Other members have had the same problems, it may be Rikon's problem...unless they have fixed it since I last tried on Thursday.

Jim Underwood
09-01-2007, 8:40 PM
I see what you mean now. I just opened the first page and thought everything was ok. But now that I scroll down I get the error message.

I'd say the file is damaged. I got error messages with Acrobat Reader 7 and 8.

Has someone contacted Rikon and told them about it?

Tom Sherman
09-02-2007, 3:47 PM
Welcome to the Vortex Fred, not to worry the manual in the box will have all the info you are looking for. Good to have you here.

TYLER WOOD
09-03-2007, 2:30 PM
Welcome to the abyss and we hope you shove someone else in as well. Misery loves company, not that turners are miserable, just we are too poor to be able to buy the tool we just learned we can not turn without. That makes us miserable!!!!

Jerry Ingraham
09-04-2007, 2:18 PM
Welcome Fred! I, too, own a Rikon and love it. That being said, I am now saving for a PM 3520b. Be wary of this abyss, the suction is intense!
Jerry