PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Knot Cigar

Grant Wilkinson
08-31-2007, 7:22 PM
The wood is Brazilian walnut. Unfortunately, it turned out to have little character. The knot is of white corian. The kit is a satin pearl Cigar.

This is my first knot, so all advice for improvement is welcome.

Bonnie Campbell
08-31-2007, 8:11 PM
I like it, it really looks nice! I like how the knot isn't centered, just fits the pen better where it's at. Great job! :)

Grant Wilkinson
08-31-2007, 8:17 PM
Tks much, Bonnie. It's funny that you should say that. I put it off center intentionally, but on another forum where I posted the picture, the first comment was that I should have centered it.
Each to his/her own, I guess. :rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2007, 8:24 PM
Grant great looking pen with a great knot. Well done.

Grant Wilkinson
08-31-2007, 8:41 PM
Tks much, Bernie. This was my first one, and I wrecked two blanks before I got this one right. Now, I have a method. :D I don't know how many I'll do, though. They take a heck of a lot of time and effort.

Brent Dowell
08-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Biggest trick I've found is making sure the saw kerf and the filler of the knot is exactly the same size. Oh, That and making sure to have the blank exactly square and drill dead center...

Very nice looking. The corian provides a lot of contrast....

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2007, 1:08 AM
Very nicely done Grant! Excellent!

Patrick Taylor
09-01-2007, 1:17 AM
Sweet! Executed like a champ.

Grant Wilkinson
09-02-2007, 9:54 PM
Brent +Ken+Patrick

tks much for the kind words

Brent: I made the insert/saw kerf thing a bit easier by not cutting all the way through the blank. That way, if the insert didn't fit, I knew it right away, rather than finding out it was not the same width as the saw kerf only after all the pieces were in and the x didn't line up.