PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about a "Rapier Mini-plough plane"?

David Tiell
08-31-2007, 7:05 PM
Ran across one today at an antique/flea mall, it was marked $80. Looked to be almost new, but not sure whether it's complete or not, although I know the only blade with it was a straight cutter that appeared to be about 3/16" wide and had a "Record" marking. I've never heard of it, and a cursory search on Google didn't provide any clues. Can anybody provide me with any more info on this? Is $80 a good price for it? Shoudl I go back and get it, or forget about it?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dave

Jim Nardi
08-31-2007, 8:36 PM
It's a copy of the Record 043. Bought a mint one off of e-bay a while back shipped for 37$

Bill Houghton
08-31-2007, 10:59 PM
Alf (Alice Frampton) has some info on these on her Cornish Workshop site (google that phrase to find it), and would probably be happy to provide more info. Does seem pricey for a tool with just one blade, and not the correct one at that.

David Tiell
09-01-2007, 6:56 AM
OK, thanks for the info!

Dave

andy brown
10-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi there, I'm new here and will say ' Hello All'.

I have a Record and Rapier 043 and will just point out that the bars, depth setter and blade hold-down are not interchangeable, and the bodies are slightly different shapes. Apart from these differences, they are identical to all intents and purposes!. I would think $80 rather too much. As for forgetting about it- No it's a nice plane you should go and haggle a bit.
Andy.

Derek Cohen
10-15-2007, 2:46 AM
Andy

I can but echo the sentiments of others. The Rapier #043 is a great little plane. When I was looking for the Record version I came across this one first and bought it without hesitation. I have a Record #044 as well, and to my eye the quality is too similar to differentiate.

Regards from Perth

Derek

j.e.mike tobey
10-15-2007, 8:17 AM
I, too, recently bought a complete Rapier "043." From the UK from a fine couple who operate a "tool mall" there. Even with shipping, it was at a reasonably competitive price. It seems to be of fine quality.mt

Derek Cohen
10-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Yo Mike!

Welcome to the forum. Good to see you here m'Lord. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek