PDA

View Full Version : What is your age

Steven Triggs
08-31-2007, 6:16 PM
This is a complete ripoff on my part from a poll I saw on another woodworking forum, but it got me to wondering...

Steven Triggs
08-31-2007, 6:21 PM
By the way, I set the poll not to show each user's response in case anyone is sensitive about their age:D

Dennis Peacock
08-31-2007, 6:33 PM
Good info Steven. I was kinda curious about this type info as well.

Randy Denby
08-31-2007, 8:44 PM
Yep....its seems to be going the direction I figured. Ever notice all us old farts at the Woodworking shows? We is just like it.:D
I'm thinking we need to somehow, someway, get woodworking back into schools. It sure seems to be tied into when they halted programs across the board/ country. I dont know, might just be me....but I feel the younger generation is missing out. Could be I'm missing out on what they do. I do pity the wood tool manufacturers/ industry in 20 or so years.

Gary Keedwell
08-31-2007, 9:24 PM
Yep....its seems to be going the direction I figured. Ever notice all us old farts at the Woodworking shows? We is just like it.:D
I'm thinking we need to somehow, someway, get woodworking back into schools. It sure seems to be tied into when they halted programs across the board/ country. I dont know, might just be me....but I feel the younger generation is missing out. Could be I'm missing out on what they do. I do pity the wood tool manufacturers/ industry in 20 or so years.
:D I remember the WW11 guys saying the same thing. "Baby Boomers are not going to like woodworking...the hobby will die":eek: :D
I think woodworking will continue because I hear all the time about how they got started. Alot of them started when they did home improvement. As long as houses are made of wood...the hobby will be safe. IMNSHO:)

Gary K.

Stephen Beckham
08-31-2007, 10:00 PM
If I'm reading it right - I've got a good 15-25 years left in me for doing this stuff...

Great!!!! Maybe I'll get it right by then.

glenn bradley
08-31-2007, 10:27 PM
If I'm reading it right - I've got a good 15-25 years left in me for doing this stuff...

If my dad is any indication (he hasn't voted yet) I've got a good 30 years left. I should learn something by then.

Allen Grimes
09-01-2007, 1:21 AM
I voted 18-25, then realized that I am 27. :o

I cant say I'm shocked to see that most of you are older guys, since stuff like TVs, computers and video games weren't even around when you were growing up.... I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, I would like it if more people my age (or younger) were into Woodworking, because I tend to feel like a loner when I am the only one in my circle of friends who can truly admire a well built piece of furniture.

Keith Outten
09-01-2007, 4:39 AM
Steven,

Send a Private Message to Aaron Koehl our System Administrator and ask him to provide the average age of all SawMill Creek Members. Aaron can query our database and find the average age from every Member who has ever registered.

Kurt Strandberg
09-01-2007, 7:23 AM
I should have replied yesterday, I was only 45 then.

mark page
09-01-2007, 8:51 AM
Zeroing in on woodworking is just like me zeroing in on the winning Powerball lottery numbers. I figure another 50 years or so and I'll have both of them whipped:D

Jim O'Dell
09-01-2007, 9:12 AM

Mind if I paraphrase this?

Great!!!! Maybe I'll get my shop finished by then.

:D :D :D :D Jim.

Tom Hamilton
09-01-2007, 9:25 AM
Nice idea, Steven.

The lack of wood shop in schools does play a part in the age distribution. We had it in the Jr High, late 50's, but was discontinued by the time I graduated in 1964.

Another factor contributing to the age distribution may be the availability of disposable income and time. Woodworking is not cheap or fast.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, looking forward to two days w/o rain!

Mark Singer
09-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Oh What a Question! I feel 35. A act 11. I look ...well nevermind. I still have good hand coordination and if I am any thing like Sam Maloof count me in for at least another 30

John Bailey
09-01-2007, 11:46 AM
I guess I like older company. I taught at a sea kayak symposium this summer and it seemed like everyone was my age (57). The organizers kept track and announced the average age was 49. That seems right in line with this survey.

I wouldn't worry too much about the younger folks. They are going to be inclined toward more adrenaline producing hobbies (as I, and I bet most of you, were.) till they come to their senses.:D :D They, and we, will be just fine.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Steve.........The results of your poll doesn't surprise me and yet....I can attest from my own two sons experience and mine. I remember my father building a covered sandbox for me and my 5 siblings when I was young. I remember him building a detached garage when we lived on a farm. I didn't take up carpentry until I got out of the Navy at age 27. I've been known since to always have a project going. Both of my sons have recently bought their 1st and 2nd homes. Both have taken up remodeling, tiling etc. Both are in the 35-41 age group. It maybe has something to do with a change in attitude as one ages?

Gary Keedwell
09-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Steven,

Send a Private Message to Aaron Koehl our System Administrator and ask him to provide the average age of all SawMill Creek Members. Aaron can query our database and find the average age from every Member who has ever registered.

http://www.free-animations.co.uk/objects/images/object_84.gifHow about posting the average age of a Saw Mill Creek member so we can ALL see?:confused: :D PLease....:>)

Jeff Wright
09-01-2007, 12:52 PM
If age 65 is still the most common retirement age, it seems odd (or at least disappointing) that there are not more folks 66 and older doing woodwork. While income may suffer in retirement, what about those who bought their tools prior to retirement while they were still working? I am a few months from 60 and it would be sad to think I have only a few years left for this hobby. My plans are to make the next 15 years my most productive in the shop.

Bart Leetch
09-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Steven,

I wonder how accurate that would be considering that many registered member have not posted or may have not posted for a long long time. I always was of the opinion that a member participates.

Jim Becker
09-01-2007, 2:18 PM
Ah...so nice to be right in the middle of the bell curve...:D

Keith Outten
09-01-2007, 2:21 PM
Gary, I forgot to mention that he should get the information from Aaron and share it in this post.

Jeff, I think you will be surprised at the average age when it is based on over 20,000 people.

Bart, everyone who registers is a Member. Some are more active than others but we don't rate Members based on their activity here. Some get real busy with projects and some are serving in the Middle East...

Gary Keedwell
09-01-2007, 2:48 PM
Gary, I forgot to mention that he should get the information from Aaron and share it in this post.

Jeff, I think you will be surprised at the average age when it is based on over 20,000 people.

Bart, everyone who registers is a Member. Some are more active than others but we don't rate Members based on their activity here. Some get real busy with projects and some are serving in the Middle East...

. Keith, http://www.free-animations.co.uk/messages/miscellaneous/images/message_146.gif

Gary K.:)

Keith Outten
09-01-2007, 5:21 PM
I will seeing Aaron within the hour and will ask him to post the information ASAP.

Gary, your welcome :)

Carl Eyman
09-01-2007, 5:42 PM
Jim Becker: What's in the middle of the Bell? The clapper?

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2007, 6:52 PM
Jim Becker: What's in the middle of the Bell? The clapper?

I guess this means that Becker is rattling cages now days??!!! :p :p :rolleyes: :D

Keith Outten
09-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Aaron and I spent some time looking at the statistics he was able to pull from our database. The average age is 46 but there is much more to the story. Aaron will be posting the data so everyone can evaluate the numbers for themselves and it is quite interesting...not at all what I thought it would be.

I could probably do my own analysis on the numbers and come to a conclusion that the average age of woodworkers is getting younger simply because the cost of equipment and materials are escalating. I could be dead wrong, however I will be watching this thread closely to read everyone's comments when they see the numbers.

Jim Becker
09-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Keith, I think the age is related to the fact that so many folks in their "prime working years" need the stress relief that avocations like woodworking bring...and they also have the disposable income. Also, there may be "more" woodworkers who are older, but who also are not drawn to the Internet. Although my dad isn't a woodworker, outside of email, he doesn't tend to spend any real time online doing anything...and if I hadn't bought the computer for him, he might not even be doing that.

Aaron Koehl
09-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Age Demographics, SawmillCreek Woodworking Community

How appropriate you guys started this thread, on the tails of yet another birthday creeping up on me! (Sunday, 09/02)

Here are the current age demographics. As expected, the ages are normally distributed (gaussian):

(Count of members who reported birthdays: 17,251)

The average age on SawmillCreek is 46.7 years old, but that doesn't tell the whole story!

Spread:
There the same numbers of 30-somethings, 40-somethings, and 50-somethings on the creek. (No significant difference between the three decades. One standard deviation is about 12 years.)
Median:
Exactly half of the members of SawmillCreek are above the age of 47, and half are below age 47.
Mode:
The most common age on the 'Creek is 37 years old (549 members). The second most common age on the 'Creek is 47 years old (524 members).68% of the members on the 'Creek are between the ages of 34 and 59.

Gary Keedwell
09-02-2007, 12:18 AM
http://www.free-animations.co.uk/messages/miscellaneous/images/message_146.gif Aaron

Gary K.:)

Keith Starosta
09-02-2007, 9:32 AM
The most common age on the 'Creek is 37 years old (549 members).

:rolleyes: I always knew that I was only average.....

;)

- Keith

Jim Becker
09-02-2007, 9:34 AM
Thanks for that Aaron!

I'll suggest that from time to time, some interesting tidbit about the SMC membership like this would be a nice source of OT conversation! (Thanks to the OP for starting this one...)

Jim Becker
09-02-2007, 9:35 AM
I always knew that I was only average.....

Oh, what I could do with that one, Keith...if this was not a family-oriented forum... LOL :D :D :D

Steven Triggs
09-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Aaron can query our database and find the average age from every Member who has ever registered.

Keith,
Thanks for that idea. I've been on the road a lot the last couple of days, it was cool to find all this when I got back on here.

Steven Triggs
09-02-2007, 11:57 AM

Aaron,
Thanks for posting all that information!

You know, I was looking at the numbers, and I was thinking about something. I know this seems rather morbid, but unfortunately it is true. As the years go by at the creek, the ability to get accurate demographics like this from the database will dwindle. Since there is no system by which you will be informed of a member's death, the stats will show more and more unrealistically old members. Quite simply, 50 years from now everyone who is currently 60 will show as a 110 year old member. That would represent a statistically signifigant percentage of the membership population, but would be completely incorrect.

Brian Weick
09-02-2007, 12:08 PM
This is a complete ripoff on my part from a poll I saw on another woodworking forum, but it got me to wondering...

man, we are loosing on this pole, these 46-55's are pulling away- I don't know if I can handle this , I am an emotionall wreck :eek: Come on Creeekers- I know your out there-?
LOL
Brian

Brett Baldwin
09-02-2007, 12:36 PM
:rolleyes: I always knew that I was only average.....

;)

- Keith

37 is in the MODE. Some people are in the ZONE but we are in the MODE. Much cooler place.:D

Keith Outten
09-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Steven,

When we are informed about one of our Members who passes away we convert their account titles to "In Memoriam". There are only a few but this serves to document that they are no longer with us, helps with the record keeping and preserves their place here as long as The Creek flows. The young ones right behind us will still be able to learn from those who were so generous with their time and talent here.

Mike Cutler
09-02-2007, 1:09 PM
Steven,

When we are informed about one of our Members who passes away we convert their account titles to "In Memoriam". There are only a few but this serves to document that they are no longer with us, helps with the record keeping and preserves their place here as long as The Creek flows. The young ones right behind us will still be able to learn from those who were so generous with their time and talent here.

Very Cool. :cool:

You guys continue to amaze me with the attention to detail you pay to the "Creek.
I think that maybe "we" won't be the only ones to benefit.

Well done.

Keith Starosta
09-02-2007, 4:07 PM
37 is in the MODE. Some people are in the ZONE but we are in the MODE. Much cooler place.:D

I like the way you think, my man!!! :D :D

"Hi...my name is Keith, and I am in .....the mode.

:D

I like it!

Andy Hoyt
09-02-2007, 5:55 PM
Ahh, but one more year and I can be back in the groove

Greg Crawford
09-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Something to think about is increasing the numbers of those under age 35. This is no time for such a great hobby/occupation to start into it's waining years. Let's keep woodworking alive!

Per Swenson
09-03-2007, 8:45 PM
I am 49 today. Yep today. Flippin Labor day.

Mebbe that explains it.

Per

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2007, 8:58 PM
Happy Birthday Per!

Would you have your Dad enter this so we can up the average?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Aaron Koehl
09-04-2007, 9:51 AM
Aaron,
Thanks for posting all that information!

You know, I was looking at the numbers, and I was thinking about something. I know this seems rather morbid, but unfortunately it is true. As the years go by at the creek, the ability to get accurate demographics like this from the database will dwindle. Since there is no system by which you will be informed of a member's death, the stats will show more and more unrealistically old members. Quite simply, 50 years from now everyone who is currently 60 will show as a 110 year old member. That would represent a statistically signifigant percentage of the membership population, but would be completely incorrect.

Steven,

That's mostly true, but in a few years, I won't be querying the database the same way. (Statisticians must take things like this into account)

The numbers will remain much accurate when I pull, for instance, accounts active within a 5 year window.