PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster Diving

Tyler Howell
08-31-2007, 5:24 PM
Found this at the transfer station(Dump), thought I could use some of the parts.
Fired it up and it cycled for 10 minutes with out a problem.
Changed the oil cleaned the filter and put it on the shelf.
Also noticed it held it's preasure for 2 weeks till I drained the tank.
I think it's a keeper.;)

Joe Pelonio
08-31-2007, 6:05 PM
Nice score!

I wish we still had the good old fashioned dumps where you could scavenge.

Out transfer station is one where you throw the stuff over the edge into a truck below, no way you'd be able to get anything back out since the guy with the big backhoe-like rig that smashes it up would see you and yell.

Michael Schwartz
08-31-2007, 6:28 PM
The ones I go to consider it stealing and trespassing if you take anything :mad: I guess it really cuts into their profits on scrap metal. :confused: Its all stuff people paid to dump there, even the scrap.

They will let you take something, as long as the person dumping it gives it to you. I know some people who have gotten decent bicycles, lawnmowers, weeedwackers this way. Although it is a felony to touch the ones in the mile high pille of scrap.

Dennis Peacock
08-31-2007, 6:32 PM
Excellent Score there Tyler.!!!!! :cool:

Gotta love it when you can find something worth keeping. :)

Steve Clardy
08-31-2007, 8:14 PM
Excellent Dive there Tyler ;) ;) :D

Gene O. Carpenter
09-09-2007, 6:50 PM
While going thru the different threads I found your DD thread and just had to jump into the fray! I like the old time gasoline and steam engines so I hang out on
smokestack.com and a few weeks ago we had a thread on just this very interesting subject.
I too long for the good old day's when the towns had junk week, when people would go thru their houses and throw out anything that they no longer wanted.
As good as it was a few years ago it has to be better now with more throw away money around, but alas the old man has gotten too old and become too fat to go diving anymore..
Check out these 3 DD T's..If it doesn't work just go to the above link and do a search on "Dumpster Diving"
Gene aka "Diver Dan"

(http://www.smokstak.com/forum/search.php?searchid=468902)

Tyler Howell
09-09-2007, 10:24 PM
We have a first tear community in the metro area known for its opulence.
They have a curb side garbage pick up weekend twice a year, where dumpster divers (DD) will line up with trucks and trailers for hours to sort through others' refuse often finding slightly warn to brand "new in the box" treasures.
They post maps and flyers for the best collection sights and even have bloggs and web sites to swap booty and info

They will collect for themselves or have garage sales and then anything that doesn't sell they put into the 2nd pick up weekend, where the cycle starts all over again.
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.;)