PDA

View Full Version : Burlwood gloat. And a little advice needed please.

Bill Wyko
08-31-2007, 4:24 PM
The guy putting on the art show here in October just stopped by and said he had some wood for me. 2 Oak burls and a piece of manzanita. Now how do I cut this up to get the most use out of it. It's also very dry so anyone that could help me with how to prep pieces of wood like these I would be greatly appreciative.

TYLER WOOD
08-31-2007, 4:52 PM
hmmmmm looks almost identical to the shape of the burl I turned last night, seriously!!!! Mine had little spikes all over it though. Looked like an alien egg or something from a sci-fi movie!!

I would chuck it up and turn a winged bowl! Leav as much matural edge on the wings as possible. I will post pics of mine (UNFINISHED) Monday so you can get an idea of what the heck I'm talking about.

Bill Wyko
08-31-2007, 4:56 PM
WELLLLL that's a little difficult too. My lathe is only a 1442. The big burl is around 20 plus inches.:confused: I guess it's time for that VB36:D (I wish)

Christopher K. Hartley
08-31-2007, 6:11 PM
WELLLLL that's a little difficult too. My lathe is only a 1442. The big burl is around 20 plus inches.:confused: I guess it's time for that VB36:D (I wish)Have you thought about turning outboard off the end? Bring it out to Spring and turn it on Beauty. I just received my bowl steady and outboard rig tonight.:eek:

Bill Wyko
08-31-2007, 6:35 PM
Chris I would LOVE to turn on Beauty, just a llliiittttle too far a drive. But you know, I've never turned off the end like that. I may just take the chance and give that a shot. Thanks.

Pat Doble
09-01-2007, 2:51 AM
I think you should stick to your fabulous segemented pieces and send the burls to me :) :) :) . I promise to send some fl*twork scraps for Monsoon II in return.70948

Can't wait to see what you do with them...