PDA

View Full Version : electrical outlets

aurelio alarcon
08-31-2007, 2:39 PM
I am planning to have some outlets replaced in my house (wife wants them to match new paint). How much do electrical techs charge. I plan to replace about 40 wall outlets.

Peter Stahl
08-31-2007, 3:11 PM
Call a couple in the phone book. They should be able to tell you roughly what it would cost. Can't imagine it would be that much.

Tyler Howell
08-31-2007, 3:20 PM
Just to replace may not be bad. Installing new was running $150 eachhere.
It's not rocket science, but it is a science that requires some skill and common sence. A good book and a mentor could get you through;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-01-2007, 10:07 AM
do it yourself.
It's easy and cheeaper

David G Baker
09-01-2007, 8:31 PM
If you hire a licensed electrician at scale it will cost you much more than you want to pay but if you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, pay the money and sleep nights knowing that it was done correctly and safely.
It is not hard to do once you get the hang of it. There are many do it yourself sites on the Internet or visit your local library for the information you need.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Fairly straight forward and easy IF there is no rewiring required. Is there an existing ground wire that can be used?

Ken Fitzgerald
09-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Aurelio,

It really isn't that difficult or technical. You can buy a book at the local Borg that shows you how. As others have said, this is easy as long as you don't have to pull new wires....ie....you've got 3 wire installations not the old "2 wire" installations.

BUT as stated, if you aren't comfortable doing it, by all means hire an electrician.

One of the trailer houses I lived in while stationed in the Navy at NAS Meridian, MS burned to the ground about 12 months AFTER we moved into base housing. Cause of the fire ....elelctrical.....

Good luck with your decision!

Brian Weick
09-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Just to replace may not be bad. Installing new was running $150 eachhere.
It's not rocket science, but it is a science that requires some skill and common séance. A good book and a mentor could get you through;)

Tyler,
You know , you don't mind paying for something if it's worth it - You turners spend all your time on your projects - they come out beautifully and you could see why you would charge what you do- justifiable~ it's art work!
A $5.00 receptacle ( or a lot less) for a brand new, in the box ~ the installation 10 min or less, the charge for labor $145.00 - now that is highway robbery to me. I must be missing something here- "replace/New" aren't we talking about the same thing. It is so simple- black (hot)goes to the brass terminal, neutral to the silver terminal and ground to the green (Chassis) and mount it with the eye's on top and the mouth (ground port) below. What is the difference between "replacing/new" I am not sure what you mean ~ Thanks Tyler
Happy Turning:)
Brian

Steven Triggs
09-02-2007, 12:05 PM
What is the difference between "replacing/new" I am not sure what you mean ~ Thanks Tyler

I believe by "new" he meant installing an outlet where there wasn't previously one, and by "replacing" he meant removing an existing outlet and installing a new one in its place.

I think his point was that it would cost a good bit of money to have an electrician install an outlet if it required running cables to put one where you didn't already have one, but that he thought it wouldn't be too expensive if you are just needing existing outlets replaced.

Brian Weick
09-02-2007, 12:18 PM
I believe by "new" he meant installing an outlet where there wasn't previously one, and by "replacing" he meant removing an existing outlet and installing a new one in its place.

I think his point was that it would cost a good bit of money to have an electrician install an outlet if it required running cables to put one where you didn't already have one, but that he thought it wouldn't be too expensive if you are just needing existing outlets replaced.

Steve,
thanks for adjusting my central nervous system - what was I thinking! :cool:
my excuse- I didn't have my java yet-LOL - thanks buddy! yea- that could run that kind of money- I don't know what I was (not thinking) if that makes any sence! -LOL:p
Happy turning

Jeff Wright
09-02-2007, 2:02 PM
If you do do the work yourself, make sure you do it right. If your work leads to a fire, it could cost you your insurance coverage for non-licensed work . . . or the life of you and your family. You can tell I don't like doing electrical work. :(

Jim O'Dell
09-02-2007, 3:18 PM
snip It is so simple- black (hot)goes to the brass terminal, neutral to the silver terminal and ground to the green (Chassis) and mount it with the eye's on top and the mouth (ground port) below. snip

Brian, I always mount mine the same way. But most electricians mount it the other way. Why? If it is pulled away from the wall, the hot and neutral are where a tool could drop on them and short out the wiring if hot. Yes, the circuit should be turned off when working on it. If turned the other way, the tool hits ground and slides off. A safety feature. I still do mine the other way, because I like the visual that looks like :eek: when I see the receptacle. It tells me to be careful. Jim.

David G Baker
09-02-2007, 7:30 PM
Jim,
Not sure what site the topic was on but many pages of dialog were generated when the issue of which way up the receptacle is mounted. I am like you, I like the way they look with the ground pin on the bottom.

Bruce Page
09-02-2007, 8:01 PM
do it yourself.
It's easy and cheeaper
I agree. I did all of mine years ago (for the same reason) and it was not difficult at all. Just make sure each circuit is off – I used a portable radio - and change them out wire for wire.

Jim Becker
09-02-2007, 9:02 PM
Brian, I always mount mine the same way. But most electricians mount it the other way. Why? If it is pulled away from the wall, the hot and neutral are where a tool could drop on them and short out the wiring if hot. Yes, the circuit should be turned off when working on it. If turned the other way, the tool hits ground and slides off. A safety feature. I still do mine the other way, because I like the visual that looks like :eek: when I see the receptacle. It tells me to be careful. Jim.

I've never seen an electrician mount them with the ground up, both in residential and commercial work...but I do understand the reason why some might.

Matt Meiser
09-02-2007, 9:47 PM
I agree with everyone else that it is quite easy. I replaced all of them in our old house and have replaced many of them in this house. The BORG even sells a handy handle that plugs into the outlet to hold them for rewiring. After turning off the outlet, take a look at how each is wired before disconnecting anything--that way you can be sure to put it back exactly as it was. One other thing to watch for--in this house, most of our rooms have the top outlet always hot and the bottom switched by the light switch. There is a tab to break off on the hot side of each receptacle to separate the circuits.

Mike Henderson
09-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I agree with everyone else that it is quite easy. I replaced all of them in our old house and have replaced many of them in this house. The BORG even sells a handy handle that plugs into the outlet to hold them for rewiring. After turning off the outlet, take a look at how each is wired before disconnecting anything--that way you can be sure to put it back exactly as it was. One other thing to watch for--in this house, most of our rooms have the top outlet always hot and the bottom switched by the light switch. There is a tab to break off on the hot side of each receptacle to separate the circuits.
Different people may do this different ways, but most homes have their outlets with the ground down. When you have an outlet that has one or more of the individual outlets switched, electricians around here put that outlet with the ground up to tell people (people who know, that is) that the outlet is switched. I find it useful to know which ones are switched.

If you like your outlets with the ground up, then mount the switched outlets with the ground opposite (down).

Mike

Matt Meiser
09-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Mike, ours are actually split. If plug something into the top half, it is always on. If you plug something into the bottom half, it is switched. Or maybe its the other way around--I can never remember...

Mike Henderson
09-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Mike, ours are actually split. If plug something into the top half, it is always on. If you plug something into the bottom half, it is switched. Or maybe its the other way around--I can never remember...
Yes, that's the way my switched outlets are. The electricians turn those over to let you know one is switched - it's always the top that's switched and the bottom that's always live around here. Once you know the "secret" you really appreciate it.

Mike

Stuart Johnson
09-03-2007, 9:58 AM
Aren't there a couple grades of outlets? I remember another thread and it seems like the cheap Borg aren't near as good or safe as some more expensive ones purchased at electrical supply houses.

skip coyne
09-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Aren't there a couple grades of outlets? I remember another thread and it seems like the cheap Borg aren't near as good or safe as some more expensive ones purchased at electrical supply houses.

you can get the heavy outlets at the BORG , just expect to pay 2-3 dollars each vs .88

I like Rex Cualdwells book "wiring a house " and his concept of doing things better than code

http://www.amazon.com/Wiring-House-Pros-Rex-Cauldwell/dp/1561585270

I've done most of ours along with the light switch s , went to the "decra style " in white

Jim Becker
09-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I buy the commercial grade outlets, etc., at the 'borg and have no problems. Why folks would choose outlets under a buck versus $2-3 for the good ones baffles me given the huge percentage of house fires that are electrical related. The real scary thing is how many of the cheap ones go into new construction...

Mike Henderson
09-03-2007, 1:11 PM
I buy the commercial grade outlets, etc., at the 'borg and have no problems. Why folks would choose outlets under a buck versus $2-3 for the good ones baffles me given the huge percentage of house fires that are electrical related. The real scary thing is how many of the cheap ones go into new construction...
What I find with the cheap outlets is that they wear out quicker than the commercial grade outlets. That is, you plug into them and the plug is not "captured" but is loose in the outlet.

For me, that's not a big problem because I always have outlets on hand - I buy them by the contractor pack - so I just replace the outlet.

Most homes and shops have a few outlets that get the most use. Those are the ones where you need to put the better grade of outlets.

But there's nothing wrong with putting better quality outlets everywhere.

Mike

skip coyne
09-03-2007, 5:03 PM
and If you happen to have a 40 year old house like mine you can add GFCIs everywhere they should be while your at it .

Stephen Beckham
09-03-2007, 9:15 PM
Aurelio,

Lots of comments there that go both ways. If you still plan on doing it yourself (my vote) spend the extra $20 to get the little yellow plug tester. It has three little lights on it that light up and tells you if you're right or wrong.

Key note - plug it in first and check your circuit. If you have an existing problem - fix it while replacing the new outlet or before replacing the new outlet. If the two correct lights are on - make the new one just like it.

I say this because it helps you in two ways. One you see that it's on and when it's off (positive confirmation) - you're safe when it's off. The second, if there is a problem currently, you don't question if you did it or not. May not seem like a big deal - but if you just swap it and find a problem afterwards, you don't know if the problem is caused by you at that outlet or if the feed line has an existing problem.

Of course - if there are any problems - you should address it with an electrician before attempting anything. The kind of problems you can find is reverse polarization, shorts, open-grounds etc... They'll likely charge you more to come in and find an opened outlet and have to fix it because they are taking a risk that you've been in the wiring and their work would be blamed if anything goes wrong.

Steven Triggs
09-03-2007, 9:26 PM
Regarding the "commercial" vs. "residential" (cheap) outlets:
In the metro Atlanta area, 10 packs of commercial outlets at HD run only $14, so it isn't even as big of a price difference as is often talked about.

Regarding where to buy:
It is worth checking with a local electrical supply house. I found a local place that on all but the most staple of items has far better prices than HD and Lowe's.

Tyler Howell
09-04-2007, 9:13 AM
Tyler,
You know , you don't mind paying for something if it's worth it - You
Brian

Brian,
I agree it's insane. Installing new in a old house, electricians earn their bucks.
Buttttt!
A lot of work I have done is undoing somebody elses mess.
reversed polarities, nicked wires, grounds cut off, using a conduit for a return and using water pipe for a return. Now that's insane.
I'm a strong supporter of DIY. But it has to be done right.