PDA

View Full Version : What wood combinations do you like for boxes?

John Myers
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm going to try my hand at making some small wood boxes. Just curious - what wood combinations do you like to work with, or find attractive in making wood boxes?

John

Nancy Laird
08-31-2007, 1:07 PM
John, I like the contrasts between light and dark woods in ornamental or small boxes. Walnut/maple is the one that jumps to the forefront, but any combo of light and dark shows off the joinery and each compliments the other. Just my own like.

Nancy (112 days)

glenn bradley
08-31-2007, 1:16 PM
I'm with Nancy on the contrast bit. I have done cherry and walnut and beech and walnut and like them both. I have some maple I'm going to play with for Christmas presents which means I will run out of walnut (as I have a lot more maple than walnut) so, we'll see what comes next.

Bill Wyko
08-31-2007, 1:37 PM
A good AAAA quilted maple with a Tung oil finish and a little Bloodwood is a nice combo. Or Curly Maple and Walnut is inexpensive and a great combo too. IMHO.:)

Brian Kent
08-31-2007, 2:26 PM
Curly Maple and a colorful / dark wood for trim.

Favorites for trim are purpleheart, cocobolo, and ebony. On box trim a little goes a long way so I can actually afford a little ebony or cocobolo!

Bill Wyko
08-31-2007, 2:33 PM
Keep in mind when using colorful woods that exposure to sunlight can make them change drastically so try to use lighter woods to separate the colorful ones, otherwise they can turn color and loose contrast. Good luck and post frequently.

John Buzzurro
08-31-2007, 4:55 PM
Hi John,

Maple and Bloodwood is one of my favorite combos.

Bill Wyko
08-31-2007, 5:00 PM
Hi John,

Maple and Bloodwood is one of my favorite combos.
I just so happen to be building a jewelry box with those 2 right now. I'll post pics the first of the week.:D

tim rowledge
08-31-2007, 8:45 PM
Maple and rosewood work nicely, as does maple and wenge.

Bill Huber
08-31-2007, 8:55 PM
I like the some of the others like a light and dark woods.
Here is one I am working on at this time, purpleheart and maple. I had some left from cutting boards.

Al Navas
08-31-2007, 9:40 PM
Just about anything very light with anything quite dark. For example, sycamore with inlaid black walnut:

----- Al

Inlaid walnut dovetails on the corners, with end-on-end dovetails on the lid:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Boxes/Inlay%20dovetails/Bowtiesanddovetails-lidopen.jpg

Detail of the end-on-end inlaid dovetails:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Boxes/Inlay%20dovetails/Bowtiesandhingedetail.jpg

Bill Huber
08-31-2007, 9:47 PM
Just about anything very light with anything quite dark. For example, sycamore with inlaid black walnut:

----- Al

Inlaid walnut dovetails on the corners, with end-on-end dovetails on the lid:

Detail of the end-on-end inlaid dovetails:

Al, how hard are those hinges to install, I really like them. They look like they would be a really job to get them installed.

It is a very nice looking box, and love the corners, some day I will try to do some like that but it will be a few years from now.

Al Navas
08-31-2007, 9:53 PM
Al, how hard are those hinges to install, I really like them. They look like they would be a really job to get them installed.
It really is very easy to install these, Bill. The barrel hinges come with instructions, as does the lid support hinge. It is a simple matter to measure VERY accurately or, better yet, make up a mock-up and do a dry run to make sure of the proper fit. THEN do it on the real thing.

The lid support requires a mortise, which I made using a spiral router bit and an edge guide to hold the router on a straight line.

It is a very nice looking box, and love the corners, some day I will try to do some like that but it will be a few years from now.
Go ahead and try it, Bill! Once you have done it once, you never go back. And it is a load of fun to try various wood combinations.

Al

Bill Huber
08-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Go ahead and try it, Bill! Once you have done it once, you never go back. And it is a load of fun to try various wood combinations.

Al

What you do is to make a dovetail joint of the light wood and the dark wood and then glue it up. Then cut another dovetail in that, is that kind if the way it goes.

Al Navas
08-31-2007, 10:27 PM
What you do is to make a dovetail joint of the light wood and the dark wood and then glue it up. Then cut another dovetail in that, is that kind if the way it goes.

You are correct, Bill! THAT is ALL there is to doing this joint!!!

Soooo - how soon can we expect to see your inlaid dovetails? :D

Al

scott spencer
09-01-2007, 6:56 AM
I tend to like complimenting woods in moderation, and don't mind contrast if it's subtle. It really depends on the piece and where it's used. Clocks and jewelry boxes look good with mixed woods IMO. I mixed mahogany, curly maple, and birdseye maple on our guitar and liked that quite a bit. In general I like cherry and maple together, oak and lacewood, cherry and walnut...I've done some QSWO with contrasting walnut plugs that I've liked, and even some oak with cherry and walnut inlays. I would not want to see a purpleheart desk with maple drawers, but it's strictly opinion. :eek: All depends on the application to me. Have fun and go with what YOU like. :)