PDA

View Full Version : First lathe recommendation, please.

Howard Pollack
08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi- I just took a weekend turning class, at the Crucible, in Oakland, CA and had a wonderful time. I'd like to do more. I don't have much room in my shop but could probably find a way to make room for a mini or perhaps a midi lathe. Is there one that is preferred by folks? Is there one that allows out-board turning so that I could turn a bowl that is bigger than the swing over the bed? At this beginning point I'm more interested in bowls and platters than spindles. Thanks. -Howard

Brian Weick
08-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi Howard,
What is your budget? - after all that's where it starts. a lot of the turners on here like the powermatic,jet,Robust- that one is new to me, nova, delta,grizzly, general, just stay away from no names if you are serious about turning- you will probably be disappointed. There are a lot of turners on here that do bowls/ pens and the like - they will surely reply to your thread. I am not a pen/bowl turner, I do large architectural turnings and I don't have any educated opinion on these type of lathes- but my point was - you have to start with what you are willing to spend- and go from there.
Happy turning (when you get the lathe you want):)
Brian

Frank Kobilsek
08-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Howard,

Now that you have found turning you won't need many of the other tools in your shop. I'd recomend that you sell your table saw for both the space and the money then get a Jet 1642 lathe. That will get you through several years of your 'abysseration' before you step up to a high end lathe. All you need in a turning shop is the lathe (maybe a tool rack), a sturdy bandsaw, and shelves for chainsaw, blanks and rough-outs.

I am kidding but only a little, I needed to rip some boards for the neighbor lady this week. It took at least an hour for me to uncover my table saw so I could help her.

Enjoy your fall into the life of a turner.

Frank

Malcolm Tibbetts
08-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Howard,
The best advice I can give you is to join a club in the Bay area. Go to the AAW website at woodturner.org and research the local chapter info. There is likely a club near you. Attend a meeting and jump in with both feet. The experienced club members will help you with your decision.

Patrick Taylor
08-31-2007, 12:00 PM
If you just want to get your feet wet and try a mini (you will want to upgrade later, trust me) the most popular are the Jet mini, Delta mini, and Rikon mini. (Cue Nancy here... ;) ) I think the Jet is probably the most popular, and most people are happy with it (and keep it even after they upgrade).
I have it and can answer more questions (as can many others).

Keep some cash for tools and other accessories. There have been many good threads on these topics this summer here on SMC, have a look! Welcome to the abyss!

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Howard I have the Rikon and love it. I also had the Delta Midi which I gave to my nephew who wanted to start turning. Right now and I hope this is ok Amazon has it for I think $122. That is less than half price for a really decent lathe. The only difference I have found between the Delta LA200 and the Rikon is the Rikon has a 12" swing versus a 10" swing.

charlie knighton
08-31-2007, 12:20 PM
i am still on my first lathe but am strongly considering moving up, the most important feature of my new lathe will be electronic variable speed

Kim Ford
08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
i am still on my first lathe but am strongly considering moving up, the most important feature of my new lathe will be electronic variable speed

Could not agree more !!!!!

Phil St.Germain
08-31-2007, 1:13 PM
Wood Magazine has a nice story in the October issue about getting into woodturning for under $600. Recommend that you take a look at that as well as joining a club and keep reading the Creek.

Joel Sauder
08-31-2007, 1:18 PM
Howard,

Just a few months ago I was in your shoes. I went for the General International Maxi-Lathe. A bit more swing over the bed (12in) and a larger motor (3/4hp) than the Jet mini, plus the headstock pivots to turn outboard up to 16inches ( I have yet to do this). It was the right choice for me and not much more $$ than the mini. But I agree with the others here, go with a variable speed, you will not regret it. The Maxi will go down to 410RPM which is pretty good for a lathe like this.

Good Luck

Joel

Nancy Laird
08-31-2007, 1:32 PM
If you just want to get your feet wet and try a mini (you will want to upgrade later, trust me) the most popular are the Jet mini, Delta mini, and Rikon mini. (Cue Nancy here... ;) )
Keep some cash for tools and other accessories. There have been many good threads on these topics this summer here on SMC, have a look! Welcome to the abyss!

Always trying to get me in trouble, aren't you, Patrick?;)

OK, I'll jump in here and testify for the Woodtek mini (currently $239.99, IIRC). I have one and the ONLY drawback to this machine is that it isn't VS. If they made a VS, I'd have one. Of course I'll also push the Steel City mini--you can go here and compare: http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=060-100.
They have a VS and a 5-speed - the VS is $399.99, the 5-speed is $289.99.

I don't have the SCTW midi, but the VS may be in the cards as a replacement for the Woodtek non-VS, if I keep on doing smaller stuff like pens, stoppers, and small bowls. We have a 12" Atlas (about 60 years old!!) and intend to get a Woodtek #1 in the next 6 months or so, but I sure do like the mini/midi.

Jet and Delta make good minis; I've heard a LOT of unflattering stuff lately about the Rikons, unfortunately. In order of preference, I'd say Steel City, Woodtek, Jet, and Delta, in that order.

Nancy (112 days)

TYLER WOOD
08-31-2007, 2:32 PM
Joel, congrats on one of the best bargains in the turning industry! GENERAL!!!! Good machines at good prices. I too would suggest looking into them. But variable speed is great. Steel City is making headway quick in getting some VERY nice tools on the market. I have played with their mini and I want one BADDDDD!!!!

Steel City
General
Jet
Rikon

never even heard of Woodtech!!! Must be a second rate underrun outfit for wherever New Mexico is!!!!!!(just kidding Nancy):cool:

Nancy Laird
08-31-2007, 2:49 PM
never even heard of Woodtech!!! Must be a second rate underrun outfit for wherever New Mexico is!!!!!!(just kidding Nancy):cool:

Tyler, Tyler, Tyler.....if you're gonna bad-mouth Woodtek, at least learn to spell it right.:p :p ;) ;)

I knew you were kidding - but you need spelling lessons.

Nancy (112 days)

Jude Kingery
08-31-2007, 3:18 PM
Hi Howard, sounds like you've gotten sound advice from lots of folks who know what they're talking about - I know I researched my decision for over a year to decide what to go with when we purchased - but then I had a smaller lathe I still use all the time that I inherited so I didn't have an itch being it wasn't like I couldn't do any turning until I bought something. Guess the best advice I can give you is don't be in a hurry, I'd echo the thoughts of decide on your budget and then set aside some money for tools and a chuck or mandrel, and then make a rational decision. Let us know what you decide and best to you! Jude

TYLER WOOD
08-31-2007, 3:50 PM
a little touchy there Nancy:p . I knew that mis-spelling ould catch ya right in the eye! Sorry the voices made me do it!!!

Alex Cam
08-31-2007, 4:15 PM
I haven't used a Steel City lathe, but the spec indicates both the fixed and VS minimum speed is 500rpm. That's generally considered FAST when you're roughing out an unbalanced blank.

I have a Palmgren (Craftsman). It was cheap enough ($280, I think). I've used the heck out of it and haven't had any problems. However, based on others' experiences, I wouldn't recommend it.

paul ashman
08-31-2007, 9:13 PM
Let me throw in a vote for the new Jet 1220, it is more like a midi lathe, with 12" and 20 between centers, a larger motor than the others too. Yes it does not have VS, but my pulley changes are getting faster and faster! It will serve me well until I move up to one of the condiment machines.

Marvin Hasenak
08-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Depending on what you want and what you need. All you need is a basic mini or midi lathe, check on Amazon, they have had great prices lately. Then the tools you need a set of chisels, about $40 at Harbor Freight for a set of 8 HSS, safety equipment, eye protection, paper dust mask at the minimum, sharpening system for the chisels, any where from a wet stone to a grinder. Sandpaper and finishes plus other miscellaneous little things. That is the needs.

Your wants will vary with your pocket book. Chucks, 4 way and Jacobs, they can be as costly as $300 plus for the 4 way and $70 for the Jacobs, or as cheap for less than $150 for both. The chisels you can spend more than $50 per chisel, but if you haven't learned how to sharpen them, most likely you will ruin them. Now for the major expense on the want list. The lathe, you could spend $4000 plus, but if you don't know how to use it what good would it do/ That would be like someone with their learners permit buying a NASCAR auto to learn to drive.

My pennies worth, find a mentor in your area learn the basics, get an idea as to where you would like to be in a couple of years, then look at your pocketbook. Compare your needs, your wants and your pocketbook, then start laying out the money. The first $1000 isn't too bad neither is the second, but after awhile it can start to hurt.

Stephen Beckham
08-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Howard, I've got the Delta Midi and have been on it for over seven years. If you decide to go used - be careful of old Delta Midi's - they had a run where the head had lots of wobble. I'm one of the lucky ones. If you find someone dumping theirs cheap - run away from it...

I got a smaller lathe so I could travel and make pens at craft fairs and put it away easier (weight/size)... I also looked at the Jet, but at the time the Delta came with free tools and a extension bed... Never even opened the extension bed box... Only used it for small bowls, pepper mills and pens.

One other note - be careful of the "packaged deals." All won't be bad offers, but some will offer a great set of turning tools, free chucks, etc to get you started. Buy the lathe for the lathe, not for the freebies that come with it.

Thomas Canfield
08-31-2007, 11:04 PM
The suggestion to check out the article in Wood Magazine is a good one along with the suggestion to get connected to a woodturning group in your area. The suggested tools in the article get you started and can be added to, while allowing you to do several different types of turning and help determine your area. Sharp tools are very important and a good grinding system needs to be included in your plans. I started with a used early version of the Jet Mini that did not have provisions to add the bed extension. I talked myself into the Jet VS so that I could add the bed extension, but then picked up a used Jet 1236 which provided the length, larger diameter capacity, and more power. The Jet VS seems to be lacking for power when turning bowls and larger forms, is great for pens, but I would likely not do it again . You also get caught up needing additional chucks, gouges, sanding materials, and finishes to keep up the cash flow.

I would give serious consideration to the Rikon if looking for a starter lathe. The larger diameter, slower speed, and heavier weight are all good features, and the price is good> It should take you further in your development than the Jet or Delta for those reasons. Many in the local club have the Jet mini (both orig. and VS) that they like to carry for demonstrations and workshops, and the Rikon would be more of a challange to take around.

The short of the answer is that all will work and get you started, and you will likely want to upgrade after a short time. I would like a Powermatic 3520B, but am still looking at the size and trying work out the space logistics (along with getting the 700# critter down into my shop). Good Luck.

Daniel Heine
09-01-2007, 1:03 AM
My suggestion would be to start with a Jet 1236 or a Jet 1442 lathe. Both of these will allow you to turn bowls of 12 or 14 diamater, and both allow outboard turning for bigger projects. I would go with a cheaper lathe from ebay or crains list, so it won't seem too painful when you just have to have that Mustard. Mustard, of course, being the Powermatic 3520 lathe. This lathe is about $2500.00. If you are serious about turning, sooner or later you will end up with a Powermatic, Oneway or maybe even a Robust. If you can't afford that now, take the cheaper route, and start saving money, and sweet talking your significant other. Shower her with beautiful bowls, amazing vases, and stunning pens, and she won't mind giving up a few thousand for your lathe - maybe.

Good luck, and happy turning,
Dan Heine