PDA

View Full Version : 24 hour bowl timeline

Steve Inniss
01-28-2004, 7:13 PM
I don't like waiting 6 months+ for rough turned bowls to dry enough to be finished so I am enjoying the "workaround".
This past weekend I completed another bowl from tree to table spanning 24 hours - actually 36 or so with thawing the log over night. I soaked the rough turned log overnight in LDD and water. It has been in a heated, and too dry house now for three days - not one check/crack, and no movement.

1. That's Harriet guarding the log (red oak) (black dog).
2. Rough turned
3. Soak overnight
4. Ready for sanding
5. 1 coat BLO/turps/poly

Chris Johnson
01-28-2004, 7:40 PM
Looks good to me. I am ready to turn my first boel, can you walk me through your method? Give me as much detail as possible, as I need it! I have turned hundreds of pens and things like light houses, but no bowls. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't like waiting 6 months+ for rough turned bowls to dry enough to be finished so I am enjoying the "workaround".
This past weekend I completed another bowl from tree to table spanning 24 hours - actually 36 or so with thawing the log over night. I soaked the rough turned log overnight in LDD and water. It has been in a heated, and too dry house now for three days - not one check/crack, and no movement.

1. That's Harriet guarding the log (red oak) (black dog).
2. Rough turned
3. Soak overnight
4. Ready for sanding
5. 1 coat BLO/turps/poly

David Spicer
01-28-2004, 10:34 PM
ok I'm kinda new to this, but what is LDD and why do you soak the wood with it? Also very nice black lab.

Dave

Mark Singer
01-29-2004, 12:56 AM
Steve,
I love the bowl and Java my Chocalate Lab Got a look at Harriet...now he wants to join SMC...he does chew on sticks....

Steve Inniss
01-29-2004, 3:47 PM
Looks good to me. I am ready to turn my first boel, can you walk me through your method? Give me as much detail as possible, as I need it! I have turned hundreds of pens and things like light houses, but no bowls. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris,
Sure, are looking for info on bowl turning, or more on the overnight soaking method? -Steve

Steve Inniss
01-29-2004, 4:25 PM
ok I'm kinda new to this, but what is LDD and why do you soak the wood with it? Also very nice black lab.

Dave

Sorry Dave, LDD is liquid dish detergent.
Normally, rough turned pieces have to be stored(for drying) for 6 months to a few years, unless you are starting from a dried blank or kiln dried wood. People have all sorts of storing methods from merely piling/stacking them, to storage in a partially opened plastic bag, to burying in wood shavings, to burying in a manure pile.

It seems that due to osmosis, the moisture(water) in the wood is drawn out and partially replaced with the soap solids which prevents the collapse of the wood cells that will cause cracking and movement.

For me, it takes away from the process when you rough out a bowl and then have to wait 6 months+, unless I want it to move ie. natural edge etc.

I have experimented with this method on 20 projects or so and have - so far - found the results completely consistent. Not one crack, very little if any movement. In addition to lots of bowls, this includes some between centers projects(pastry rollers etc), right from the tree to the kitchen in two days.
I have also done some control work; doing two bowls from either side of a log - both roughed out, one soaked and one not, both finish turned, oiled and then ... have a look at the photos below. The soaked bowl has an inclusion along the edge that always opens up - well, guess what it hasn't moved/opened at all. Like others I have mentioned, these came from green logs, finished and into a heated house.

Credit goes to SMC members for pointing this mentioning this method.

...and thanks, she's a great dog -Steve

Steve Inniss
01-29-2004, 4:29 PM
Steve,
I love the bowl and Java my Chocalate Lab Got a look at Harriet...now he wants to join SMC...he does chew on sticks....
Thanks Mark,
Has Java made the web yet?