PDA

View Full Version : Source for 4 x 8 x 3/16 plywood

Belinda Barfield
08-31-2007, 8:58 AM
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

John Thompson
08-31-2007, 9:38 AM
Good morning Belinda..

Suwanee Lumber in beautiful downtown Suwanee, Georgia does not carry 3/16" ply. But.. I had to purchase "bending ply" for a custom 100' partially round custom counter several years ago and they carry that in 1/8".. 1/4" and 3/8" if that might possibly cover your needs.

I don't know if it's politically correct to post web-sites here.. so if that would fit your needs just do the Suwanee Lumber dot thang ( or just dial 800-330-8087) and you will arrive at their front door. If ya show up around lunch they sometimes share part of their sandwich as they are very nice folks I discovered back when I got started WW in 1972.

Regards...

Sarge..

John Huber
08-31-2007, 9:49 AM
Try http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/wp/plywood.html They have all kinds of sizes and species. And they will cut it down for free to save you oversize shipping charges.

Nancy Laird
08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Try http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/wp/plywood.html They have all kinds of sizes and species. And they will cut it down for free to save you oversize shipping charges.

I'll second this company. We were buying 1/32" Finnish birch ply from another source, and found that Aircraft Spruce has the same stuff for about half the price we were paying. And GOOD stuff. I think they also have the 3/16" stuff.

Edit: I just checked the site - they have it in mahogany and birch - $190 and $195 a sheet!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Nancy (112 days)

Jamie Buxton
08-31-2007, 10:20 AM
The nominal 1/4" hardwood-faced ply in my lumber dealers is now typically .20" thick. That's only .01" thicker than a true 3/16".

Belinda Barfield
08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks all.

Guess I should have specified "cheap" as well.

John Thompson
08-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks all.

Guess I should have specified "cheap" as well.

Why specifically 3/16" and what are you using it for?

BTW.. not related, but love da hat! Guessing you might have picked it up sometime around "midnight in the garden or good and evil"! :)

Sarge..

Belinda Barfield
08-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Why specifically 3/16" and what are you using it for?

BTW.. not related, but love da hat! Guessing you might have picked it up sometime around "midnight in the garden or good and evil"! :)

Sarge..

Sarge,

I might have a job cutting some small parts. The customer has been getting the parts from China and the Chinese used 3/16".

'Preciate the compliment on the hat. I picked that up when I lived in Disgusta, GA. That photo is from Derby Party 2007. The hostess of the party expects everyone to show up in a hat. If you don't you have to wear the hat of her choice, from her quite interesting collection.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/TheGang.jpg

Nancy Laird
08-31-2007, 1:03 PM
Belinda,

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/wp/plywood.html Try this one, the 5/32" Okoume ( o-KUE-me), also known as Gaboon, is an African hardwood widely used in Europe. It's $38.75 for a 4x8 sheet (LOTS less than the 3/16 birch) and only 1/32 less than the 3/16 you're looking for. I'm sure that the customer would accept the 5/32 at that price!

Nancy (112 days)

P.S. PM sent.

John Thompson
08-31-2007, 1:32 PM
Afternoon Belinda..

You're quite welcome, ma'am! No southern lady should show up at an annual Derby Party in Augusta without a hat which is considered appropriate attire for the occassion. Those beautiful white fences at the horse farms just over the line in Aiken would probably flake and peel in digust. ;)

In seriousness... I'm heading to Suwanee Lumber shortly to pick up some 16/4 oak, so I will ask the good folks there if they are aware of a source or could they special order. I'm assuming you don't need vast quantities, so the question will be presented in a manner to include that factor.

Regards from Gwinnett...

Sarge..

Belinda Barfield
08-31-2007, 2:51 PM
That is way too kind of you Sarge! Thanks for checking with them. Have a peachy holiday weekend!

David DeCristoforo
08-31-2007, 4:30 PM
Re-read Jamie's reply. Most "1/4" ply sold in this country is imported from Europe or Asia and is not 1/4" but 5MM which is closer to 3/16 than 1/4. So if you can squeeze by with a slightly "fat" 3/16, you're good to go.....

John Thompson
08-31-2007, 5:14 PM
Belinda...

Suwanee does not show a domestic being offered at 3/16". But as Jamie and David pointed out.. it may not matter. I went down to my wood rack and had a go at both a 1/4" (supposely) sheet of oak and birch ply. Both come in at around 4 mm on a micrometer and a physical measure with a Starrett hook-rule produced the same results.

I don't have any 1/4" (supposely :>) southern yellow pine ply, but if it mic's at the same tolerrances as the birch and oak.. the .01 difference Jamie and David mentioned is well within tolerrance of 3/16" for a wood project. Metal-work would be a different story.

Put a hook rule on a sheet of 1/4" SYP ply (be sure it is not from a newly opened batch that is still reeking with moisture) and see if it will meet your criteria. I do believe with the exception of producing a space capsule for the Chinese space program (they've copied everything else.. so why not?).. you should be "good to go". ha.. ha... ha.. ha..ha..

Have a good week-end amongst the magnolias...

Sarge..

Belinda Barfield
09-01-2007, 9:01 AM
Many thanks again to all of you for your help. I will give the 1/4 a shot. We aren't building a rocket. Luckily this customer is quite as particular as another we work with who holds us to tolerance of two thousandths (fortunately not on wood).