PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Recommendations

Bob Moyer
08-31-2007, 8:21 AM
Looking to add an air compressor to my workshop, my initial use will be installation of a hardwood floor and adding other nailers.

What size and manufacturer do you recommend.

Thank you

Matt Meiser
08-31-2007, 9:15 AM
First, brand: If you want it to last a long time and can afford it, buy Ingersoll-Rand. Tractor Supply carries them if you are local to one or you can get them from Northern Tool. I'm sure there are a lot of other sources as well. Quincy is another really good brand, but maybe harder to find?

Second, size: Other than flooring/nailers, what do you want to do? Do you want to run sanders? A spray gun?

I actually have two compressors. One is a large upright
Ingersoll Rand in my shop. Since that is too far from the house to use for nailing things in the house, I bought one of the twin hot dog tank compressors at Harbor Freight after reading some favorable reviews. Unlike many small compressors, this one is not oil-free and therefore runs quieter. Its turned out to be a decent compressor for $90 on sale. I've had it about 2-3 years now and probably use it once per month or so. I keep it in the garage so it is convenient to fill tires and inflate air mattresses when we have guests too. It does not have the capacity to run a 1/2" impact gun though.

David Giles
08-31-2007, 10:06 AM
My recommendation is either a really big one or a really small one! For light home duty and workshop use, portability is the key. A small pancake compressor is easily carried without strain. They will run any nailer, though you might have to wait 15 seconds between shots on the big guns. For a stationary shop compressor, bigger is better. Lots of air is wonderful for blowing surfaces and spray painting.

Buying a mid-sized compressor gets you the worst of both worlds. It's too heavy to be easily portable and too small to run a spray gun.

If quiet operation enters into your decision, consider a Thomas.

Eddie Watkins
08-31-2007, 10:35 AM
I just bought a Ingersoll-Rand SS5. It is probably overkill and a SS3 version would have been enough but after "re-buying" virtually every tool type known to man because I went cheap the first time, I chose to spend the extra $200 now rather than the extra $800 when I replaced it. The difference is 11 cfm for the 3 hp versus 18 cfm for the 5 hp. Regardless of what brand/size you buy, iwould recommend oiled oevr oilless. Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.

Eddie

Bob Moyer
08-31-2007, 10:36 AM
First, brand: If you want it to last a long time and can afford it, buy Ingersoll-Rand. Tractor Supply carries them if you are local to one or you can get them from Northern Tool. I'm sure there are a lot of other sources as well. Quincy is another really good brand, but maybe harder to find?

Second, size: Other than flooring/nailers, what do you want to do? Do you want to run sanders? A spray gun?

I actually have two compressors. One is a large upright
Ingersoll Rand in my shop. Since that is too far from the house to use for nailing things in the house, I bought one of the twin hot dog tank compressors at Harbor Freight after reading some favorable reviews. Unlike many small compressors, this one is not oil-free and therefore runs quieter. Its turned out to be a decent compressor for $90 on sale. I've had it about 2-3 years now and probably use it once per month or so. I keep it in the garage so it is convenient to fill tires and inflate air mattresses when we have guests too. It does not have the capacity to run a 1/2" impact gun though.

I am not sure exactly where my new found interest/hobby will take me, after doing the hardwood floors, I beleive it will be mostly for nailing since my workshop is in garage which stores 2 cars, space is a concern. What HP will I need to do nailing?

Bill Spievak
08-31-2007, 2:57 PM
I like my RolAir, the small on with whells. It is an oil bath compressor and is quieter that the pancakes i"ve owned.

Larry Fox
08-31-2007, 3:36 PM
I have athe IR SS3 and really like it. I use it to power a HVLP outfit (among other things).

Mike Spanbauer
08-31-2007, 3:37 PM
Nail guns will run fine off the pancakes. Get a good one and you won't regret it. I would second the Thomas suggestion up above for portables. They are THE contractor's choice for durable, quiet, well built compressors. If you're going stationary... well, I'd choose either IR or Quincy.

Oiled are much quieter than oiless as a rule and they also last longer.

G'luck!

mike

Josiah Bartlett
08-31-2007, 3:47 PM
I have a big shop compressor in my garage (a Quincy), and I use a 7.5 gallon air tank if I'm going to use my nail gun inside. I pump my air tank up to 125psi and get about 100 shots out of my Bostich brad nailer before it needs to be refilled.

I wouldn't ever buy another oilless compressor. If you want a good cheap little oiled compressor, the 4 gallon one at Harbor Freight isn't bad. Its fairly quiet and puts out enough air for nail guns. My dad has one, I bought it for him when they had it on sale for $65.

Bill Wyko
08-31-2007, 5:17 PM
I couldn't tell you that one brand is better than another but I did find that my last 80 gallon had side by side cylinders and my new one is a V-twin and the V-twin is much louder than the side by side model. If I had my druthers, I'd get a side by side next time.IMHO

Brent Dowell
08-31-2007, 5:51 PM
I'd have to chime in with the advice for getting a pair of compressors.

If all you are doing is a little power nailing, start with a small one.

I just picked up a small oil lubricated craftman compressor for 99$ a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be ok for running my nailing guns, and other small chores.

My other is an 80 gallon IR. Love that big beast...

Oh, other than that, I also have a little 12 volt unit that I take with me in the pickup truck on trips. It's not a cheesy little plastic one, but fairly nice and has to be connected directly to the battery as it pulls a bunch of amps. No storage tank, but nice to know I can fill up the tires if I happen to be out camping in the middle of nowhere....