PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"-Labor Day Edition

Karl Laustrup
08-31-2007, 6:57 AM
Friday August 31st, 2007

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!!

The last day of August. Days are getting shorter and for us in vacation land one of the last big weekends of the season. Still have Polish Fest next weekend and then WoZahWa the following weekend. School starts next Tuesday for the kids around here.

This has been a rather nice week. We are finally beginning to dry out around here. Nearly 17 inches of rain in a two week period got us very soggy. Supposed to have some nice weather now through Labor Day.

I'm going to try and get back in the shop again and get some more done on the dust pick up for the CMS and RAS. Maybe I'll get to clean up the shop a bit also. I also have to mow again. I mowed last Monday, but I had to mow without lowering the deck, the grass was so high. I'm going to mow again today and lower the deck an inch maybe. Then I'll have to mow again maybe Sunday and see if I can't lower the deck to the normal height. That should pretty much take care of my weekend.

So what's on the agenda in your neck of the woods? Anyone going to get away for the weekend? Some shop time? Boating? Cleaning? Labor Day picnic?

Whatever it might be, make it enjoyable and above all BE SAFE.

Karl

Kurt Strandberg
08-31-2007, 7:57 AM
We leave tomorrow morning for 9 days / 8 nights of riding motorcycle and camping down in Iowa.

Matt Meiser
08-31-2007, 8:06 AM
The plan is to lay the floor tile in the bathroom tomorrow, then Sunday we are headed to Frankenmuth, MI for some chicken, then Monday grout the tile I installed around the shower last night and the floor.

School starts Wednesday here--and that actually matters to us this year as my daughter starts Kindergarten.

Steve Mcmahon
08-31-2007, 8:10 AM
The only wood working I will be doing is splitting up some cherry I found in the woods behind my house - It fell about a year ago - After that I will be throwing it in my smoker.

I have 4, 9lb boston butts, 2, 11lb turkeys and 18lbs of brsiket that needs to be smoked and cut up for the 100+ men, women and children who will be watching me drank beer and burn wood all day saturday for end of summer bash

Tyler Howell
08-31-2007, 8:20 AM
Hey Karl,
Staying home this weekend off the roads with all those vacationers.

Working on the bathroom finishing some windows and splashing a little paint.
It's dryer than a popcorn fart up at the new place.
We got a little rain in the beginning of the week but really need more to refresh all the lakes.

Have a safe one.

Greg Cole
08-31-2007, 8:58 AM
Was supposed to be relaxing in a newly installed pool this long weekend, but SNAFU & Dig Rite was late marking, only a week... so the trench for the power never wasn't able to be excavated on time for the install of the pool (supposed to have been installed by this past Wed. :( ).
So I'm taking a 1/2 day today and renting a walk behind ditch witch and will get the trench & electrical done by tomorrow afternoon.
Then I guess I can tidy up the last bits of the shed to pool house remodel... and pretend to take a swim?

Cheers.

Greg

Jim O'Dell
08-31-2007, 9:34 AM
Recouperate from the last 3 days on the roof! :D I have all the old tear off to clean up off the driveway to the shop, I want to build a sub box for the shop, I have 2 small pieces of laminate to put on the ends of the tops for the multistation benches that are almost complete (the tops that is). Maybe start playing with some designs for the router table I want to build. But mainly clean up and relax. Have a safe holiday everyone!! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2007, 10:36 AM
We'll be staying home this weekend as I'm on call again. Hopefully, finish my "finger" bowl.......tear down the diving board and store the "Bomb". Sweep out the shop......mow and trim the lawn.........Start painting the shop......Get ready for the new tools orders and arrivals.

Robert Mayer
08-31-2007, 1:25 PM
Hopefully ill get to work on a walnut copy of Thos Mosers dining room cabinet. I have a chunk of the carcass done on the bottom half.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-2/1246550/NewBitmapImage.JPG

Most of the weekend is going to be spend putting down about 900 pavers and expand our patio.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-2/1246550/DSCN1726.JPG

Bill Wyko
08-31-2007, 1:35 PM
We'll be BBQing on Saturday but the rest of the weekend will be wrapping up the jewelry box I started last weekend on my incra jig. I'll have pics next week.:D

Nancy Laird
08-31-2007, 2:43 PM
We are in Tennessee, and yesterday we made a trip to the sawmill down the road a piece (that's a Southern expression, for all you Yankees). We have a VERY good relationship with the owner, and we managed to come away from the mill with a few pieces of lumber:

This is what you see when you open the lid on the truck bed...

And this is what you see when you drop the tailgate:

177 bd/ft of red oak at $1.00 per bd/ft.
211 bd/ft of clear (and gorgeous) maple at $2.10 per bd/ft.

Almost all of the above is 6' shorts, some only 4.5', some of the boards are 11-12" wide, all 4/4 FAS kiln dried.

All of the short pieces you see on top and across the tailgate are cut-offs -- walnut, cherry, birch, sassafras, and a few oak -- some as wide as 10-11", all 4/4 except a couple of 8/4 sassafras------>AND EVERY BIT OF IT FOR FREE!!!! I would suspect that there is another $100 worth of lumber in those cut-offs that Don gave me, after telling me that what I didn't take would be burned. I got as much as would fit into the truck and left another full truck-load there for someone else. (Gloat #1).

Then, after I had given him a burled walnut pen that I had made and engraved with his name, together with an engraved lift-mechanism box, he has now committed to having me make pens for all of his best customers, engraved, with boxes engraved. (Gloat #2) I just ordered 50 of the boxes!

So, tomorrow night we go to a high-school reunion party here in town, and early Sunday morning we hit the road back to New Mexico to arrive on Monday night. We have the truck overloaded, but we'll make it.

If anyone is interested in the location of this sawmill and the name of the owner (and a referral), just PM me. It's in northwest Tennessee, and literally a day's drive (or less) for anyone in Missouri, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, western South and North Carolina, southwest Virginia, Kentucky, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southwest Pennsylvania, most of Illinois, the Florida panhandle. Mill prices are down for lumber here in West Tennessee, so if you are in the market for oak, maple, cherry, walnut, birch, ash, sassafras--this is the place to come.

Nancy (112 days)

Al Willits
08-31-2007, 2:45 PM
After the last few weeks, first thing will be to get Lori out golfing and doing something that doesn't involve repairing or cleaning up anything.

Also will finally drag the storage cabinet in the house.

Also have primed the brick molding so I'll finally paint it and get it up, and finish picking up all the branch's, figure a tree hasn't fell in over two days now so it might be safe....

Was 28 degree's in Embarrass Minn yesterday morning....burrrrr

City hung a note on the door telling us they had removed the tree out front that got hit by lighting last week...nice of them to tell us the tree was gone, probably woulda missed it otherwise...duh

Ya all have a safe and well weekend...and stay away from tree's

Tyler ya get bored, maybe give a hollar, time for a burger run??

Al

Bill Wyko
08-31-2007, 2:53 PM
We are in Tennessee, and yesterday we made a trip to the sawmill down the road a piece (that's a Southern expression, for all you Yankees). We have a VERY good relationship with the owner, and we managed to come away from the mill with a few pieces of lumber:

This is what you see when you open the lid on the truck bed...

And this is what you see when you drop the tailgate:

177 bd/ft of red oak at $1.00 per bd/ft.
211 bd/ft of clear (and gorgeous) maple at $2.10 per bd/ft.

Almost all of the above is 6' shorts, some only 4.5', some of the boards are 11-12" wide, all 4/4 FAS kiln dried.

All of the short pieces you see on top and across the tailgate are cut-offs -- walnut, cherry, birch, sassafras, and a few oak -- some as wide as 10-11", all 4/4 except a couple of 8/4 sassafras------>AND EVERY BIT OF IT FOR FREE!!!! I would suspect that there is another $100 worth of lumber in those cut-offs that Don gave me, after telling me that what I didn't take would be burned. I got as much as would fit into the truck and left another full truck-load there for someone else. (Gloat #1).

Then, after I had given him a burled walnut pen that I had made and engraved with his name, together with an engraved lift-mechanism box, he has now committed to having me make pens for all of his best customers, engraved, with boxes engraved. (Gloat #2) I just ordered 50 of the boxes!

So, tomorrow night we go to a high-school reunion party here in town, and early Sunday morning we hit the road back to New Mexico to arrive on Monday night. We have the truck overloaded, but we'll make it.

If anyone is interested in the location of this sawmill and the name of the owner (and a referral), just PM me. It's in northwest Tennessee, and literally a day's drive (or less) for anyone in Missouri, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, western South and North Carolina, southwest Virginia, Kentucky, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southwest Pennsylvania, most of Illinois, the Florida panhandle. Mill prices are down for lumber here in West Tennessee, so if you are in the market for oak, maple, cherry, walnut, birch, ash, sassafras--this is the place to come.

Nancy (112 days)
Ok, I'm jealous!:D

Jude Kingery
08-31-2007, 3:10 PM
Hey all, sounds like everyone has good and ambitous plans for the Holiday weekend! We'll be also doing some of both - backyard grilling and then also turning some stuff in the shop, have 4 weeks to prep for a show in CO. Only 12 pieces done so far, so with a bit of luck and elbow grease, I'll get there. My husband said he'd help me rough turn if need be. He likes it ok, just not a passion with him like it is with me. Who knows, we might even go fishing if the weather's decent! Best wishes to everybody! Jude

Rick Gibson
08-31-2007, 3:10 PM
I am more than jealous Nancy that is less than a third of what I would have to pay for that here.

Since I am retired it's just a regular weekend for me but I will be continuing with the shop cleanup and re arranging I started earlier in the week. Basement shop with concrete block walls on all 4 sides. Have to decide if I want to paint them or not.

Tom Hoffman
08-31-2007, 3:40 PM
Going backpacking into the Desolation Wilderness just east of Lake Tahoe with my 15 year old boy. We're gunna catch and eat some fish and enjoy the solitude, however there will be visions of sawdust dancing in my head. Since I'm only a WWW (weekend warrior woodworker), I will likely need psychological therapy to survive 2 weeks without woodworking. But seriously, I feel blessed that my boy wants to spend time with dad. I need to be with him as much as possible before he leaves the roost. He's my therapy.

Mike Spanbauer
08-31-2007, 3:44 PM
Do it in white :) you won't regret it I bet.

Myself? Need to throw together a simple plywood entertainment center to go under the wallhung 61" DLP TV.

Probably 8 hours or less I'd guess (very simple design). Then she agreed to sand and stain (Dark Walnut to Ebony) and I'll shoot w/ 2 coats of Shellac. I doubt she'll get her portion done this weekend, but I'll post pics once it's done.

Will remain near 100 degrees' here though, I'm sooooo ready for the cool weather to come.

mike

Al Killian
08-31-2007, 5:02 PM
Well I have to finish up a cedar chest for a lady. It is a 1940's Montgomery Ward wedding chest that was her uncles and the finish was in really bad shape. Finish the screen door for the MIL. Tuesday moring I have to report for back surgery and will be out of comsion for 6-10 weeks.:eek: :rolleyes: We will se if I can stay inactive that long.:D

Bill Arnold
08-31-2007, 7:06 PM
Well, here in south Georgia I'll be smoking a bunch of pork butt, pork ribs, pork loin, fish and chicken! Oh, yeah -- I spent a couple of hours today on some shop work, but this is a weekend to cook, eat and enjoy washing it down with a case or two of "beverage". :D:D:D

The meats are marinating and so am I!!!!! :)

Dennis Peacock
08-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Howdy karl.....

I'm oncall this weekend and it's nothing but work for the day job until 8AM Monday morning. I'm just hoping for a weekend that won't be a real killer.

The temp here is getting a wee bit cooler and I'm liking the cooler nights as that's very tempting for me to get back in the shop and finish things up that I started right before real hot weather set in.

Have a great weekend!!!

Brent Dowell
08-31-2007, 11:02 PM
I've got a rocking horse that needs building. I've got the wood, layed out the templates on the wood. It's all down to the cuttin, routin, fittin, and gluin.

Maybe some finishing, but don't know if I'm that ambitious....

glenn bradley
08-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Ought to be able to finish off a b-day gift I've been taking my time on. Crank out some drawers for the workbench. If I get real industrious I'll swap out the PB computer desk for the rolltop that's been sitting in my living room for just over 2-long.

Family b-fast get together at LOML's on Sunday. If I'm lucky, more shoptime on Monday; I need to get started on the rest of those CHRISTMAS PRESENTS!!!

Thomas Prondzinski
09-01-2007, 9:02 AM
Friday put two double hung and one picture window in the back wall of the shop,120"s of windows.Will be reframing the back porch roof with my son in law,recently home from Iraq, should be a great weekend here.

Tom

Belinda Barfield
09-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Plans were to have a wonderful weekend socializin' and such. Still holding out hope for a Sunday night cookout on the dock.

Flash flood warning just issued until 6 p.m. Sitting here waiting for the water to rise. Haven't checked official sources, but the tidal creek in the back yard says we are pretty close to high tide. High tide, 2" of rain per hour, not a good combo. Pool is overflowing. :(

Warning area includes Tybee Island and Hilton Head Island. I feel really sorry for the folks who are vacationing on the islands.

Hope you guys have a great weekend. Stay safe.

Jim Becker
09-01-2007, 2:33 PM
'Just returned last night from a family vacation week at Mont-Tremblant (http://www.tremblant.ca/index-e.htm) in Quebec. With any luck I'll get some shop time this weekend and I know I will through next week as I'm still in "use it or lose it" vacation land! (And another week at the end of the month, too...)