PDA

View Full Version : Natural edged bowl: insights sought

Don Vito
08-30-2007, 11:40 PM
This is my 1st natural edged bowl (in black cherry) finished in walnut oil followed by a paste made of mineral oil, beeswax and carnauba wax. I soaked the bark in CA glue. It is almost 7" across. I'd appreciate any insights. One mistake I made is that when sanding, the dark bark color bled into the white wood. Is hand sanding the best way to avoid that?

Jon Lanier
08-31-2007, 1:44 AM
Good job. And congrats on your first natural. Keep'm coming!

Steve Schlumpf
08-31-2007, 8:53 AM
Don - Welcome to the Creek! Great looking bowl! Don't have any insights for you on NEs as I have only done one myself - but sure like the form and bark on yours! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

ROY DICK
08-31-2007, 8:58 AM
Don,

That looks a heck of a lot better than mine did.Not sur about the sandin' part, but someone will chime in I'm sure.

Roy

charlie knighton
08-31-2007, 9:59 AM
you might try using some spray sanding sealer wait an hour and then sanding when you have different colors espically white, nice bowl

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2007, 9:59 AM
Welcome to Creek Don. That is a great looking first NE. Looks a lot better than mine first one. As far as sanding I power sand thru the grits (80 to 400) cleaning the wood each time before using the next grit with compressed air and then wiping with Denatured Alcohol. Haven't had a problem yet.