PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Plane Help

Paul Douglass
08-30-2007, 10:39 PM
I have three old planes that belonged to my Dad. I know they are not worth much to anyone else but mean a lot to me. Below are pictures of one, a block plane I think, that I would like to fix. I don't find a number on it to identify it so I can order parts if the parts are available. Three questions:

1. Can anyone Identify it for as far as numbers? It is a Stanley.

2. The part that broke off is where my finger is pointing. Can it be replaced?

3. What does the front knob and lever adjust?

Thanks. I kind of like it down here.

Clint Jones
08-30-2007, 10:46 PM
The block plane is a 9 1/2. There should be a little lever coming out of the slot under where you are pointing. The lever is to loosen or tighten the lever cap. I have never replaced one and it seems like it may be trouble. I would just get a whole new cap. They are pretty common they are the same as No.15, 220 and a couple of others. The 9 1/2 is a very nice standard angle block plane.

Paul Douglass
08-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks Clint, looks like the cap cost $10. not to bad.

Can you tell me what the front lever adjusts? Never mind it adjusts the width of the opening the blade goes through.

Clint Jones
08-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks Clint, looks like the cap cost $10. not to bad.

The cap Stanley sells may not fit. It is for the newer 9 1/2 planes. I would contact Walt at http://www.brasscityrecords.com I am sure he can provide a correct replacement for $10 or less.

Dan Forman
09-09-2007, 4:40 AM
I have three old planes that belonged to my Dad. I know they are not worth much to anyone else but mean a lot to me. Below are pictures of one, a block plane I think, that I would like to fix. I don't find a number on it to identify it so I can order parts if the parts are available. Three questions:

1. Can anyone Identify it for as far as numbers? It is a Stanley.

2. The part that broke off is where my finger is pointing. Can it be replaced?

3. What does the front knob and lever adjust?

Thanks. I kind of like it down here.

#3---That is to adjust the width of the mouth. Turn the knob counter-clockwise to loosen, then adjust the width of the mouth with the little lever. To better see this, turn the plane sole up.

Dan

nic obie
09-09-2007, 3:06 PM
You can get by with the lever cap you now have.

Just use the slotted screw to tighten down the cutting iron.