PDA

View Full Version : Building a small bridge over a pond......

Fred Voorhees
08-30-2007, 7:55 PM
....and I need some help with ideas on how to go about sinking/installing concrete piers - eight of them - to support the bridge. I will hopefully be taking a picture of where the span will be located tomorrow after work. I will be adding a few graphics to help in the understanding of what it is we are looking for. Basically, a friend has been contracted to build a walking bridge of about thirty five to forty feet in length from the shore of a pond to a small island in the middle of the pond. The carpentry of building the actual bridge will be a much simpler deal, but how to go about constructing and locating concrete piers is another thing. We are thinking of using PVC piping for forms, but at this point, it is just thoughts. Anyone have any preliminary thoughts on this? Or, where we might find some information.

David G Baker
08-30-2007, 8:04 PM
Fred,
tractorbynet.com is a great place to post your question. Try the project area or do a search.

Mitchell Andrus
08-30-2007, 8:14 PM
Don't get caught. The DEP has some rules about stream encraochment and pretty tight restrictions for building within a wetlands or wetlands buffer area.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-31-2007, 10:53 AM
thirty five to forty feet in length from the shore of a pond to a small island in the middle of the pond.

I am in NJ. Without taking a vote in the legislature the NJ EPA has increased the restrictions against building near any water to include drainage from 66 feet some 20 years ago to todays 300 feet.

That is a very long stretch of land you gotta leave untouched from any body of water. The fines are absolutely prohibitive.

You might want to talk to some one in the NJ EPA and see if you can do this at all.

There are NJ legislators who are all up in arms about the NJ EPA's taking of land this way and you might want to give them a call first. I believe yours in Ringoes is among them

Fred Voorhees
08-31-2007, 9:21 PM
I am in NJ. Without taking a vote in the legislature the NJ EPA has increased the restrictions against building near any water to include drainage from 66 feet some 20 years ago to todays 300 feet.

That is a very long stretch of land you gotta leave untouched from any body of water. The fines are absolutely prohibitive.

You might want to talk to some one in the NJ EPA and see if you can do this at all.

There are NJ legislators who are all up in arms about the NJ EPA's taking of land this way and you might want to give them a call first. I believe yours in Ringoes is among them

Thanks Cliff....I'll be taking a closer look at this one. To tell you the truth, I think these guys are doing this on the hush hush, but if this is the case, and with the possible headaches that it might bring, I might just have to be an innocent bystander who is simply playing spectator.