PDA

View Full Version : Drilling with the lathe

Nicholas Briggs
08-30-2007, 7:23 PM
I'm a bit confused here... Do you use the key chuck in the head or tail stock? And what do you use to hold the blank? Do I need an adapter to connect my talon chuck to the tail stock?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-30-2007, 7:25 PM
Nicholas,

I place the drill chuck in the tailstock and put the material in my 4 jaw scroll chuck on the headstock. The material turns and you advance the drill into it using the handle on your tail stock.

Nicholas Briggs
08-30-2007, 7:36 PM
Thanks Ken. But how do you mount the drill chuck on the tail stock? All the drill chucks I've seen are morse taper mounts. I have a Craftsman lathe, and the tail stock doesn't look like it will accept that. Do I need an attachment of some sort?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-30-2007, 8:12 PM
Nicholas,

All the lathes I've seen have a morse taper in the tailstock and the headstock. My Jet VS Mini has #2 Morse taper in both. My drill chuck has a #2 Morse taper on it.

Maybe someone with more experience than I will chime in......Sorry!

Bobby Perry
08-30-2007, 8:28 PM
Thanks Ken. But how do you mount the drill chuck on the tail stock? All the drill chucks I've seen are morse taper mounts. I have a Craftsman lathe, and the tail stock doesn't look like it will accept that. Do I need an attachment of some sort?
How old is your craftsman I have a palmgren which is nothing but a craftsman and it has a #2 morse taper in the tailstock. In fact right now it has a Craftsman headstock on it.

Bill Stevener
08-30-2007, 8:33 PM
This may help you some, it was just discussed the other day.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64038

Wally Wenzel
08-30-2007, 8:39 PM
Nick, if your craftsman is the older one with the single tube bed it will have a #1 mt.
Wally

Nicholas Briggs
08-30-2007, 9:07 PM
Got it! Thanks for the link Bill. Looks like I had the same problem, the revolving center was just jammed in the quill pretty tight. I got it out and it looks like it's a #2 MT, same as the head stock. Thanks for all the replies! Off to order a drill chuck now!

Curt Fuller
08-30-2007, 9:27 PM
One other note, it's easier to drill using either a forstner bit for a shallow hole or a brad point bit for a deeper hole like a pen blank. Any bit with a point to help guide it.