PDA

View Full Version : Breadboard ends for trestle table

Bob Jones
08-30-2007, 6:04 PM
I just ordered some wide Penn cherry from Groff & Groff for a trestle table. The top will be 2 - 19 wide boards, cut down a little to straight. I am expecting the top to be about 34" wide.

My question is, do I need breadboard ends for a table top with just two boards? I have several table plans, and all of them indicated the ends are optional, of course they all use many more boards.

If I need them, any suggestions on how to do it? I am thinking a straight edge and a skill saw set to the right depth???? I have a very limited shop, mostly just basic stuff and a few hand planes...

Thanks

John Thompson
08-30-2007, 6:40 PM
I just ordered some wide Penn cherry from Groff & Groff for a trestle table. The top will be 2 - 19 wide boards, cut down a little to straight. I am expecting the top to be about 34" wide.

My question is, do I need breadboard ends for a table top with just two boards? I have several table plans, and all of them indicated the ends are optional, of course they all use many more boards.

If I need them, any suggestions on how to do it? I am thinking a straight edge and a skill saw set to the right depth???? I have a very limited shop, mostly just basic stuff and a few hand planes...

Thanks

Do you need them? Nope.... Just attach your top in a way that allows for expansion and IMO, you are better off without them as I found out on more than one occasion the hard way (trial and error) from two previous experiences.

Sarge..

Howard Acheson
08-30-2007, 6:47 PM
As your plans indicate, breadboard ends are optional. They are more of a design item than a performance item. For one thing, then will not prevent warping if used on a long panel. The ends might warp less but the center will warp more.

The key is to be sure your boards are properly dried and have been acclimated to the shop for a period of time. The only way to know that they are acclimated is to use a moisture meter. The issue is the difference in relative humidity as it relates to the moisture content of the wood. For example a board kiln dried to 4-5% equilibrium moisture content brought into an un-airconditioned shop at 60-75% RH will take four or more months to acclimate and rise to 12%.

So acclimate your boards properly and you should have minimal problems with warping.