PDA

View Full Version : Screws for a cedar fence (western red)

Charles Wilson
08-30-2007, 3:18 PM
I am in the process of making and assembling a picket fence. The plan calls for galvanized decking screws of 1 1/4" and 2" inches which I currently have and are available at local BORG.

I almost remember reading somewhere that a Stainless Steel screw may work better with red cedar but not sure Can someone clarify the issue that I am asking about.

Regards,

Chuck

Michael Lutz
08-30-2007, 3:28 PM
There would be less staining from the fasteners if you used stainless. Are you painting the fence?

Mike

Charles Wilson
08-30-2007, 3:38 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will be painting/stainging the fence white.

Chuck

Lee Schierer
08-30-2007, 3:48 PM
I would used stainless screws if it were my cedar. I have a lawn swing going on 15 years of age and the screw (stainless) are still like new and the re are no stains in the wood. It wasn' painted. Zinc will gradually dissovle and leave the steel exposed so rusty screws and staining are highly likely.

Jody Malinich
08-30-2007, 5:27 PM
Charles,

When we build our outdoor furniture with WRC we use stainless. We have gotten them from apple fasteners in Pennsylvania.

Tom Hargrove
08-30-2007, 6:46 PM
Over the past four years, I have built between 40 and 50 Adirondack chairs using western red cedar. The chairs are outside five to six months a year, and have no finish on them. I have used both stainless steel screws and also the coated deck screws that are available at home centers. The coated screws are cheaper, but have a larger root diameter, and caused some splitting. Both have held up fine with no staining or discoloration.

I have a three year old WRC fence that I paid to have installed, and which was built by the fencing contractor using galvanized fasteners. Many, but not all of the galvanized fasterners have left stains in the wood, although they are becoming less noticeable as the cedar ages. However, if you paint or stain, the problem may get worse over time as the staining works its way through the finish.

If price is not an issue, I suggest that you use stainless steel hardware.

Charles Wilson
08-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks folks.

Considering calling McFeely's to order the screws.

Any opinions?

Chuck

Paul Gauthier
09-01-2007, 11:20 AM
I use "Deckmate" screw for anything outdoors, without doubt the best I have ever used, each box comes with a bit, they are a modified square drive phillips that seldom slips. I will never use a galvinized screw again, and stainless square drive I seem to strip the square more often that not.