PDA

View Full Version : Delta 36-451, ever heard of it?

Andrew Mason
08-30-2007, 3:08 PM
First post, have been lurking for a couple weeks:D

First the title question,
I am researching a saw I found on craigslist locally, a Delta 36-451. The owner claims it is a 2hp model, and didn't know what I meant by left or right tilt... so maybe not the best thing going, but can anyone tell me anything about this model, when it was produced, basic features, pros/cons???

Putting together a table saw/router table combo for the first time (not counting bench top stuff) and looking at contractor-style saw due to the scope of work, budget and available electricity.

Anyhow, already have a Biesemeyer 52" fence, just need the saw. Everyone I have talked to, friends, guys at the local WoodCraft store recommend older Delta or the other popular brands (Steel City, General, etc.) I have been looking at the 36-979.... new, left tilt, mobile base, no fence, and for around 400 @ Lowes...

Any other saws to consider since I already have the fence???
Thanks,
Andrew

Cary Falk
08-30-2007, 3:35 PM
Andrew,
Welcome to the Creek.
I don't know much about this saw. The Delta parts page shows a date of 2004 but I am not sure if that is when it was updated. Yahoo pulls up very little. The digram loooks like a fairly recent style. It appears to be right tilt. It has 1 CI wing I think(Delta wants $254 for it and I would hate to think it would be stamped steel). I had the 36-680 and it was an excellent saw and about the same as the 36-976 except for the left tilt and the mobile base. I guess it all depends what you can get it for and what shape it is in. I would put in a vote for the 36-979. You might be able to get a clearance Craftsman 22104 and put you fence on it. It is well liked. I know nothing about any other saw you mentioned.