PDA

View Full Version : Finishing...the next frontier...

Don C Peterson
08-30-2007, 2:07 PM
Hi all,

I've been slowly building my WW tool collection for several years and I've been able to complete some decent projects. I'm finally now getting to the point where I feel that if I don't get a really nice finish on some of my work, it detracts. The only kind of finish I have used so far is a Tung Oil/Poly mix. I like how the oil really brings out the grain and seems to provide depth, and the poly is durable and helps the oil to dry in my lifetime... However, I don't have any spray equipment or a really effective dust collection system, so I find it almost impossible to keep dust and misc debris out of the finish while it dries. (I know, I know... a good DC system is on the list, right near the top, but it will probably be about 6 months before I can seriously think about pulling the trigger on one)

I also tend to avoid staining of any sort, I like the natural colors of the wood. So I have been just a little dissatisfied with how the oil darkens and yellows the wood.

For my last project I decided to use a clear wax finish. Unlike the kitchen table, the toy shelves, and bunk beds, my wife's sewing cabinet hopefully doesn't need to be protected from all sorts of abuse. There was no problem with dust since the wax dries as you apply and buff it. The wax darkens the wood only very slightly, so that's good too. The problems I'm wondering about are:

1. Since the wax doesn't flow into corners and crevases it can't effectively seal the wood against moisture variations.

2. I love the final color and feel (the wax seems to have a wonderful tactile feel that poly just doesn't have), but the wax also doesn't seem to really help the grain to "pop".

I'm sure that finishing involves many tradeoffs, but if anyone has suggestions or alternatives that I should try, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Al Wasser
08-30-2007, 2:21 PM
You and I think alike---no #$$@@ stain. Water based finishes tend to darken the wood less than oil based stuff, but some woods like cherry will darken regardless. Finding the perfect finish is a bit like the search for the holy grail. I have many cans of partly used finish on my shelves. Wax alone I don't think will serve you well as a finish at least it didn't for me when I used on a couple of things.

Larry Fox
08-30-2007, 2:53 PM
Best advise that I can give you is to pick up a book or so and just read to be aware of some of the options out there. Anything by Jeff Jewitt or Bob Flexnor will serve you well.

There is also this one - I have it but don't care for it much. I recommend it in this case as it has some basic tips in it. It also has lots of pictures and recipes on how to achieve the look in the picture. But, overall not as good as Jewitt's books.

http://www.amazon.com/Foolproof-Wood-Finishing-Those-Finish/dp/1565233034/ref=sr_1_4/105-4582955-0796446?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188499933&sr=8-4

As far as no stain - I understnad liking the look of the wood but ignoring stains and other coloring methods is to really deny yourself access to some of the mor interesting possibilities wrt finishing. Staining doeen't have to mean significant colr changes. There are some really interesting things you can do with Dye stains (for example).

Also, shellac is an extremely interesting finish with some really nice properties (coloring being one of them). There are also many ways it can be applied.

In summary: buy a book and read up.

BTW: Wax offers almost no protection - but it does feel really nice.

Steve Schoene
08-30-2007, 8:32 PM
Larry's advise to get a book is good, and so are his choices. Bob Flexner Understanding Wood Finishing does a great job of explaining why's and wherefores and Jeff Jewitt presents excellent "how-to's."

I encourage you to experiment with finishes. Part of the process of beginning a project is deciding on the wood and the finish. And testing on scrap is much better than experimenting on the project itself.

If you don't expect to have much scrap at the end, make your experiments at the beginning, where a couple more passes through the thickness planer can give you fresh wood again.

Don Boyce
08-31-2007, 5:31 PM
I grew in Maryland a state that is known for 85% to 100% humidity in the summer time. I can remember that the wax finish on our mahogany dining room table melted during one hot and humid summer and it had to be refinished. My mom had been religious about only using Johnson's furniture wax on the table to keep it looking sharp. I believe it was after about 8 years of wax build up that it got sticky that summer. Basically, placemats or forearms would stick to the surface and leave a disfigured surface when removed. What are the summers like in KC?

Matt P
08-31-2007, 9:03 PM
I have yet to truly understand exactly what putting wax on a shellacked piece does..! Is it just a little more protection, or does it enhance the look? I mean SIGNIFICANTLY.. not just for someone with eyes like an eagle.

Rich Engelhardt
09-01-2007, 8:13 AM
Hello,

I have yet to truly understand exactly what putting wax on a shellacked piece does..! Is it just a little more protection, or does it enhance the look?

If I put a lawn chair out in the driveway ans go sit in it for hours on end and just stare at the world going by, then people think I'm a lazy bum or some kind of nut.
If I take that same lawn chair and put it next to a lake and stick a fishing pole in my hand, and sit in for hours watching the world go by, then people think I'm a dedicated otudoorsman.
*even if I don't have any bait on the hook ;)

Waxing a piece is like that in a way.
It gives the maker of the piece a chance to run their hands over it again and again and again.
Stand in the garage with the door open and run your hands endlessly over every piece you make, end the neighbors will call the men in the white coats.
Put some wax on a rag and do it, and those same neighbors are going to think "Wow! What an Old World Craftsman!".
:D
(P.S. I'm only half kidding ;))

IMHO - most waxers do it more for the benefit of the one doing it, and not for the benefit of the finish itself.
And - yep - I admit I'm a waxer myself (on the rare occasions I use shellac on small pieces - I usually use Spar varnish & wax)

Matt P
09-01-2007, 3:12 PM
Rich,
That is a great, and funny, post.
Matt