PDA

View Full Version : Another Veneer Inlay Job

Joe Pelonio
08-30-2007, 1:45 PM
I'm not getting paid for this one but it's my first real job. A local quilt guild asked (through my wife) if I would make (and donate) something for their upcoming auction, to raise money for charity. I had my wife show me a bunch of typical quilt blocks with stars and came up with this design. I really like the highly figured sapele pomelle (center square) and have to get more of it.

I took Ray's suggestion and oriented the grain to radiate out this time.

George M. Perzel
08-30-2007, 1:58 PM
Hi Joe;
Good job! It looks like the pieces fit pretty tightly together-sometimes difficult to do but a bit easier with straight pieces. How thick is the veneer you used and what did you use for glue?
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Joe Pelonio
08-30-2007, 2:20 PM
The veneers vary in thickness. Also in hardness, which I found a pain to sand on my first try at this. Some are 1/32, others more like 1/42. What I have figured out is to rastor the places that will get thicker veneer a second time so after gluing they are nearly the same.

I have not gotten a vacuum clamp system yet, so I use yellow wood glue, roll, tape the edges with masking tape then clamp to a table top. Since I don't want to allow too much time which could warp the thinner veneer, I glue up one wood type at a time.

With the laser curved or straight is not much difference, I found with my trial and error experimentation. They all seem to fit well.

Larry Bratton
08-30-2007, 8:44 PM
Nice work Joe (for an amateur):)