PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite pieces by other SMC members?

Bill Wyko
08-30-2007, 1:15 PM
I was just curious as to what is everyones favorite pieces from other SMCers. It's a slow day here so I'll be SMCing today.:D

Doug M Jones
08-30-2007, 1:31 PM
Bill, I've looked at so many pieces in the last few months that I can't remember individual items. I will say that I always try to look at pieces posted by Travis Stinson, Mark Cothren, Patrick Taylor and yourself. There are a few others that escape me right now but when their name is in the que, I will make sure to look.

I don't think I have the patience to do major segmented work but am very impressed by it.

TYLER WOOD
08-30-2007, 1:50 PM
Well, Bill, I was giong to say the monsoon piece, but you have yet to send it to me! Still waiting on the mailman to show up with it!!!!:D

Other people's pieces - Mr Stinsons, coolibah lidded vessel that looks like a champagne glass. I am simply in awe of it every time I look at it.

My personal favorite I have turned - yellow tulip bowl (which no longer exists in the photo'd state, cracked harshly, trying to figure out how to save it in a different form, making a new bas out of poplar to look like the leaves oof the plant growing into the flower)

Bill Wyko
08-30-2007, 2:08 PM
Tyler, I have to agree with you. That piece Travis did is beyond elegance and definitely at the top of my list.

Glenn Clabo
08-30-2007, 3:58 PM
Only because I can see and touch them everyday...

A Cothren
http://www.flyingcurls.com/images/MesquiteHF01.jpg

A Hoyt
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50282&d=1163785192

Bill Wyko
08-30-2007, 7:43 PM
I would hope we could get a little more input on this post:cool: I guess we're the only ones that like other peoples work.:o

Patrick Taylor
08-30-2007, 8:52 PM
Wow, thanks Doug! That's a really top tier list to be on. :o

I agree with all the suggestions here, and I also was really floored by a few pieces by Sascha Gast a while back. He does amazing work. I also never miss a post by Jim Shaver; his pens are awesome.

Bill, the low response may be due to the feeling that I have: It's hard to pick pieces or even artists because I really enjoy looking at all the pieces I see here. The reason is that it's just as exciting to see a new turner post a first try at something as it is to see an old-timer nail another flawless HF, because I think they're just as if not more excited themselves.

Curt Fuller
08-30-2007, 9:22 PM
A Hoyt
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50282&d=1163785192

I don't think I ever saw that piece by Mr Hoyt but it is a pretty one.

It would be impossible to nail down any one piece or even one turner that is a favorite. Anything by Keith Burns, Mark Cothren, Travis Stinson, or Shane Whitlock is going to be an "Oh Man!" kind of piece. Not only are they great turners but their photos are so good it's almost like holding the piece in your hand. But that's not to say that there aren't a whole slew of other impressive turners here on SMC.

One piece that I've never forgotten that I would like to see again though is Bill Stevener's treadle lathe. How about it Bill, would you like to post that again?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2007, 12:00 AM
I'd name names but I'm afraid I'd leave someone out.........There are a lot of talented folks here who inspire me to keep at and someday get closer than I did with my recent thievery of a finishing technique! :D Too...many....good pieces...........:)

Andy Hoyt
08-31-2007, 9:28 AM
Taking the cue from A Clabo, I nominate this one (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33048).

An exceptional turning with a remarkable provenance.

TYLER WOOD
08-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Even though I wasn't around yet to see all this takes place. It makes me long for the days of stuff like this happening again. Any other's that we need to shove into the vortex?? I am game for a little donation if necessary!!!!!!